RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Ventilated Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15 | 10:34 AM
walkedu
Driver

Thanks gearhead!That is exactly the spot where doesn't cool off at all even after a hour of driving with the AC and seat coolers on.
Old 09-11-15 | 10:35 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by walkedu
Very interested in this.

Esp in southern CA right now, the weather has been so hot lately I haven't even driven my RC. Takes forever for the seats to cool off that it just gets uncomfortable.
I wouldn't leave my car in the garage just because the seats don't cool off quickly. Most cars don't even have this feature and those drivers survive...haha

Hahaha touche, its drivable just uncomfortable because the seats take forever to cool down. These are my first Lexus purchases, two of my friends have ISF's and always noticed their ac doesn't blow as cold as German car manufactures. Always thought it was just the cars because they are a few years old. But now I just think that's how Lexus cars are.
The ISF just has small air vents, probably poorly placed vents, and dark interiors. The AC in my GS blows pretty well and cools me down quickly. Haven't had the issue of heat on lumbar area you RC owners are experiencing.
Old 09-11-15 | 10:48 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default I wish.....

Originally Posted by SRC350F
So this is just purely based on speculation and crazy thought since I have been experiencing this issue also.
My speculation is that, when the seat has been sitting in the sunlight "for that day" and turn on the air for your seat it will, only the back portion, blow out hot air or feel warmer. If you had left your car in the shade, it will blow out cooler air.

My reasoning: My car has been sitting in the sunlight for 2 days straight, for both days... my back was hot, even after the sun had gone done. This morning, my car was parked in the shade and I turned on the ventilation and it was cold. My thoughts is that if a certain part itself has been exposed to sunlight for a duration of time, it will blow out warmer air. My solution/thought = tints

again purely just a shot in the dark. Other drivers with this issue. When you have this issue with your car, has your car been exposed to the sunlight for a couple/few hours?
Car is garaged (of course), but it still happens.

It is frustrating because this is not a new feature. This feature has been on cars for many years so how did they get this feature wrong on so many RC's? If you consider the very small population of owners represented on this site, you can see it is not an isolated problem.

Driving home yesterday...about a 30 minute commute. Air was nice and cold....thought I would turn on passenger seat to see how the air felt. HOT! I couldn't believe just how hot. Turned it off, cooled down by inside air conditioning and turned back on passenger seat and it heated right up again.

I have tint (50/5/15), use sun shades when parked at office, and have both air locations turned on and I get hot air coming from a really cool feature that will likely be a problem for many years to come. In the meantime, I will make sure any passengers don't want to try out the "cool" seats.

I hope these types of issues are few and far between. I have 700 miles on my car. Not exactly a welcoming invite for the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

I will definitely discuss at 5,000 mile check up.

Dawn
Old 09-11-15 | 11:27 AM
walkedu
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
I wouldn't leave my car in the garage just because the seats don't cool off quickly. Most cars don't even have this feature and those drivers survive...haha

The ISF just has small air vents, probably poorly placed vents, and dark interiors. The AC in my GS blows pretty well and cools me down quickly. Haven't had the issue of heat on lumbar area you RC owners are experiencing.

Hahah I think you might have to skim through the thread. Its about the seat ventilation system actually making the mid / upper back area warmer and not actually cooling the seats off. So it has a reverse effect.

I dont mind my seats being warm when I get in, but there is a problem when the seats stay hot or get hotter esp using a seat ventilation and blasting the AC on them.

Im not sure about the ISF's vents being smaller ect, but I noticed this with my car also. So its just first hand accounts vs other cars I have or have experienced.
Old 09-11-15 | 11:27 AM
odist
Rookie

Originally Posted by GearHead69
OK All,

I just completed doing the seat testing with my Laser thermometer, and I have proof of what you are saying is indeed true. One band bad towards the upper back is 14 degrees warmer then the ones above of below it. The ambient air temp was 90, and the seat bottom / back were at 88 before I started the car.

The AC was set at the lowest cooling setting with the fan at medium speed. The seat coolers were set at the highest fan level. I started the car and let it run for 5 minutes before I started taking measurements. You can see from the video there is a huge difference in just one band on the seat back. Hope that helps.

Lexus 2015 RC350 seat cooler differences - YouTube
Great Job Gearhead. Way to replicate the problem
Old 09-11-15 | 01:02 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

You all are very welcome. When you go into service to discuss this use my YouTube video to show what is happening. If you have to spend $25 for the Laser Thermometer like I got at Harbor Freight to be able to show the service people what is happening then that will be money well spent.

I know I will be showing the video not only to the Service Manager, but there is also a Technical manger that is in change of the service techs.
Old 09-11-15 | 02:47 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Definitely. ...

Hahah I think you might have to skim through the thread. Its about the seat ventilation system actually making the mid / upper back area warmer and not actually cooling the seats off. So it has a reverse effect.

I dont mind my seats being warm when I get in, but there is a problem when the seats stay hot or get hotter esp using a seat ventilation and blasting the AC on them.

Im not sure about the ISF's vents being smaller ect, but I noticed this with my car also. So its just first hand accounts vs other cars I have or have experienced.
This is not about having a feature (that we paid good money for)....it's about really hot air coming out of a seat. My husband even said, "wow....that is not a new invention....how could they mess that up?"

Hopefully with all the awesome investigative work by a couple of you guys, it won't be such a battle trying to get them to find a repair.

Thanks...
Old 09-11-15 | 04:44 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

OK All,

I just completed doing the seat testing with my Laser thermometer, and I have proof of what you are saying is indeed true. One band bad towards the upper back is 14 degrees warmer then the ones above of below it. The ambient air temp was 90, and the seat bottom / back were at 88 before I started the car.

The AC was set at the lowest cooling setting with the fan at medium speed. The seat coolers were set at the highest fan level. I started the car and let it run for 5 minutes before I started taking measurements. You can see from the video there is a huge difference in just one band on the seat back. Hope that helps.

Lexus 2015 RC350 seat cooler differences - YouTube
Great work GearHead - I hope Lexus takes note of your investigative results!! Btw - I've seen your video on driving with the CAI, but did you do a video on installing it at all?

Any Aussie owners out there having this issue? We're heading into summer so would be useful to pass on the U.S. experiences if it's happening here too!!
Old 09-11-15 | 05:32 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by AussieRC
Great work GearHead - I hope Lexus takes note of your investigative results!! Btw - I've seen your video on driving with the CAI, but did you do a video on installing it at all?

Any Aussie owners out there having this issue? We're heading into summer so would be useful to pass on the U.S. experiences if it's happening here too!!
Thanks. I didn't do one for the CAI as it was just so easy to do, and I figured it wasn't a big deal. Now if everyone wants one, well then I'll take mine out and show how to put it in. Let me know.

I remember being in Perth in the winter time, and got a surprise sunburn. That was many, many years ago, and lets say the group I was with (US Navy) forgot to mention that to us. It would have been nice info before many of my friends got 2nd degree sun burns from playing volleyball or soccer in the "Winter" sun.
Old 09-11-15 | 05:34 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Gearhead, thanks for not only taking temperature measurements, but taking a video too!
Old 09-11-15 | 06:52 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

OK All,

I just completed doing the seat testing with my Laser thermometer...
Thanks for spending the time and incurring the cost to produce irrefutable proof of the occurrence.
Much appreciated by all I'm sure!
Old 09-12-15 | 07:05 AM
Pearlrider
Driver

I'm hoping that Lexus resolves this issue soon. That this does not escalate into potential seat fires from faulty wiring etc.....
There was a day when the Lexus brand touted customers first. I've even heard fantastic stories from the early years of the lengths they would go to for customer satisfaction. I'm not so sure anymore of that commitment. "Pursuit of Perfection ". Let's see how long it takes to make this right.
Old 09-12-15 | 11:27 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Gearhead, awesome. Thanks for doing that!

Please check your User CP as I sent you a private message.

Last edited by Canesguy; 09-12-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-15 | 11:45 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Gearhead, awesome. Thanks for doing that!

Please check your User CP as I sent you a private message.
Got it and responded.
Old 09-12-15 | 08:42 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Can anyone send this thread to Lexus headquarters?

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat