RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Front Led turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 10:07 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Led turn signals?

Take a look at this pic. Just above the DRLs, it clearly shows a place holder for LED turn signals. These are enabled on Premium Triple LED head lights offered in Canada and Australia.

Question? does anyone knows if these can be enabled on USA models? I mean even the NX has led turn signals (at least the front?), why not offer these on RC?
Attached Thumbnails Front Led turn signals?-rc350-led-turn-signals-front.jpg  
Old 08-01-15, 09:39 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NjDude
Take a look at this pic. Just above the DRLs, it clearly shows a place holder for LED turn signals. These are enabled on Premium Triple LED head lights offered in Canada and Australia.

Question? does anyone knows if these can be enabled on USA models? I mean even the NX has led turn signals (at least the front?), why not offer these on RC?
That's what I was wondering too. I took a pretty close look at mine too and you can clearly tell and see there is some sort of running strip above the DRL. I know it's being picky, but I really wanted a led turn signal embedded in the DRL like Audi and Mercedes. Heck, even the rear turn signals should've been led instead of a conventional bulb this is 2015 you know haha.
Old 08-02-15, 08:25 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by radcoupe
That's what I was wondering too. I took a pretty close look at mine too and you can clearly tell and see there is some sort of running strip above the DRL. I know it's being picky, but I really wanted a led turn signal embedded in the DRL like Audi and Mercedes. Heck, even the rear turn signals should've been led instead of a conventional bulb this is 2015 you know haha.
Not being picky at all, for a premium luxury coupe, I agree, LEDs should be a standard.
Old 08-02-15, 10:21 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Not being picky at all, for a premium luxury coupe, I agree, LEDs should be a standard.
Exactly! For a $50,000+ MSRP coupe, it should be standard. I'm with you on that for sure.
Old 08-02-15, 10:17 PM
Chinky2
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

somone needs to remove there bumper and find out if its a completely different DLR or just one that needs a wire to hook up
Old 08-03-15, 12:20 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Originally Posted by Chinky2
somone needs to remove there bumper and find out if its a completely different DLR or just one that needs a wire to hook up
I just had a closer look at my DRLs. This is the Australian spec, so it has the turn signals in the DRLs. However, it looks to me like the orange lights are not an LED strip at all, but simply a globe (or globes) which throws the light through a very cleverly shaped lens so it looks like LEDs. See if you can spot what I mean from these pictures.

Old 08-03-15, 07:41 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
I just had a closer look at my DRLs. This is the Australian spec, so it has the turn signals in the DRLs. However, it looks to me like the orange lights are not an LED strip at all, but simply a globe (or globes) which throws the light through a very cleverly shaped lens so it looks like LEDs. See if you can spot what I mean from these pictures.

If you watch the video, half way through you will see the red car with turn signals. The way they blink appears to be Leds?

Old 08-03-15, 06:16 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

If you watch the video, half way through you will see the red car with turn signals. The way they blink appears to be Leds?

Lexus RC 350 First Drive Video Review | Drive.com.au - YouTube
You're right. I just checked the specs and the DRLs, turn signals and even the brake lights are all LED on the Aussie cars. I wonder why the U.S. cars missed out on LED brake lights.
Old 08-04-15, 12:05 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
You're right. I just checked the specs and the DRLs, turn signals and even the brake lights are all LED on the Aussie cars. I wonder why the U.S. cars missed out on LED brake lights.
The brake lights on the US cars are LED according to the specs. It's the front and rear turn signals that are incandescent. It's almost impossible to find CANbus compliant LED bulbs that don't require a load resistor and will fit the openings of the turn signals. Yes I tired numerous vendors, some even CANbus compliant, buy they hyper-flashed anyway.
Old 08-04-15, 01:40 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Vled V3 tritons fit nicely. I got those on my front and rear turn signals.
Old 08-04-15, 02:00 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Vled V3 tritons fit nicely. I got those on my front and rear turn signals.
I saw those when you first installed them, and they are very nice. The price of over $100 for a pair of LED bulbs is a sticking point for me, and you still need the load resistor, correct?

I'm still holding out hope that a CANbus bulb will be created where I won't need a load resistor.
Old 08-04-15, 03:30 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I saw those when you first installed them, and they are very nice. The price of over $100 for a pair of LED bulbs is a sticking point for me, and you still need the load resistor, correct?

I'm still holding out hope that a CANbus bulb will be created where I won't need a load resistor.
Yes I had to use a load resistor. I know it's expensive, but every time I use my blinker I love seeing the reflection off road signs
Old 08-05-15, 11:32 AM
odist
Rookie

Yes I had to use a load resistor. I know it's expensive, but every time I use my blinker I love seeing the reflection off road signs
Those are nice, but for me it's not really the price. I'd prefer a relay swap or a CANbus which would work (haven't found one that does not hyper flash). IMHO The less stuff I have to put on the car to obtain the desired affect is better. I just have to really try to locate and do something about the relay
Old 08-05-15, 11:34 AM
odist
Rookie

Completely agree
Old 08-05-15, 02:15 PM
NjDude
Pole Position

I bet!!! how much work was it? if not too much, I would love to do that as well. I was not sure if this was possible without the hyper flash.

Quick Reply: Front Led turn signals?