RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

2016 Lexus RC 200t Headed to U.S. with Turbo-Four Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 11:36 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDDay
While I am slightly surprised, I'm not shocked.

The RC is a pig, and Lexus is not a performance oriented brand. The RC was created to fill a niche, just as the 200t being put into the RC and GS is to fill a niche. They needed a coupe to compete with the array of coupes offered by all of their competitors, and they needed a cheap small displacement engine with increased fuel efficiency so they can increase their CAFE rating and slide in another vehicle that can be their price leader.

I mean, this is a company that touts their F Sport line as something spectacular when it isn't more than an additional setting for some of the electronically controlled systems, wheels and a set of bumpers. Lexus is a price leader, not a performance leader.
Then why do you own one?
Old 10-11-15, 01:59 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

While I am slightly surprised, I'm not shocked.

The RC is a pig, and Lexus is not a performance oriented brand. The RC was created to fill a niche, just as the 200t being put into the RC and GS is to fill a niche. They needed a coupe to compete with the array of coupes offered by all of their competitors, and they needed a cheap small displacement engine with increased fuel efficiency so they can increase their CAFE rating and slide in another vehicle that can be their price leader.

I mean, this is a company that touts their F Sport line as something spectacular when it isn't more than an additional setting for some of the electronically controlled systems, wheels and a set of bumpers. Lexus is a price leader, not a performance leader.
I agree! The RC350 weight is equivalent to having an additional large man sitting in the car, so not shocked that it lost to the IS350. The RC350 even weighs more than the GS350, so it would probably also lose to it in a drag race. The RC200t is going to be dreadfully slow compared to competitors.

There is nothing wrong with the F-sport package since it does what it's suppose to (slightly more sporty drive and feel through adjustable suspension upgrades, bigger wheels, improved seats, etc.). We all wish that the F-sport would have a power boost, but that probably wouldn't happen. It's actually more than what you'd get from equivalent "sport" packages from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.
Old 10-11-15, 06:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The RC is slow. So they make one even slower. I don't understand Lexus. Why even bother to make something as cool looking as the RC then make it perform like the ES.
Yes I am exaggerating but I ain't far off.
Also not happy to know there are going to be a jillion RC's on the road now that cheaper versions are going to be out there. Worse, it will have dual exhaust pipes. Posers will take the RC200t badging off making it look more like the 350. Makes me feel my car will be de-valued.
Old 10-12-15, 12:05 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

^^ They have been doing that with all their coupes for years in the US. They've always been good looking but often very slow and underpowered. The only differences this time is that they are no longer quite as slow as before, a turbocharger is standard on one model (which means the boost & fuel can be increased a bit on the aftermarket) and the lineup actually started with a real high performance edition.

Not only that, but for the first time you can actually option every RWD trim level of a Lexus coupe with an LSD package from the factory.

Other than no manual option or DCT transmissions (both sadly a moot argument) I'm not seeing as many downsides here. All of the RC's look great and should do quite well now that the penalty box 2.5L V6 is gone for good.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-12-15 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:46 AM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Radical350
Then why do you own one?
Because there is a saying about looking gift horses in the mouth?
Old 10-12-15, 07:54 AM
DrDDay
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
Also not happy to know there are going to be a jillion RC's on the road now that cheaper versions are going to be out there. Worse, it will have dual exhaust pipes. Posers will take the RC200t badging off making it look more like the 350. Makes me feel my car will be de-valued.
Wait to see how you feel when the first one blows your doors off because he spent less than $1000 on an ECU reflash.
Old 10-12-15, 10:47 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait to see how you feel when the first one blows your doors off because he spent less than $1000 on an ECU reflash.
If only this was the case! Believe me, I am extremely excited for a turbo model but unfortunately you cant tune these ECU's. So while the performance of the turbo 4 will increase with a few bolt ons, it wont be as drastic of a change as say an STI or EVO.

I was REALLY hoping for a turbo 6.
Old 10-12-15, 12:01 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Originally Posted by FR500GT
If only this was the case! Believe me, I am extremely excited for a turbo model but unfortunately you cant tune these ECU's.
Give it some time. The cracker is always better than the coder.
Old 10-12-15, 07:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Not worried about that. You can't reflash an ecu now and won't be able to in the future. Not happening.
Old 10-13-15, 09:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

The RC350 may not be as slow as I thought. Today I did something I have never done. I drove the car in sport mode for more than just a stoplight take off. I kept it on for the drive home. I felt the car come alive. Having less gears to search through seems to give the car added punch. The longer I kept it in sport the quicker the car felt. It was actually kinda fun to drive.
Old 10-14-15, 12:19 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The RC350 may not be as slow as I thought. Today I did something I have never done. I drove the car in sport mode for more than just a stoplight take off. I kept it on for the drive home. I felt the car come alive. Having less gears to search through seems to give the car added punch. The longer I kept it in sport the quicker the car felt. It was actually kinda fun to drive.
Now hold the TCS down for 3 seconds until the light comes on the dash! Sport +, TCS completely off and Manual mode is standard procedure when starting up my car. It gives you complete control of the car and makes daily driving much more enjoyable
Old 10-14-15, 01:13 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

See, that is what I was trying to tell everyone. The RC350 is really much faster when put in Sport + and in manual mode. I drive that way all the time, and in fact the only time it is in full auto mode is when I'm stuck in traffic.

You'll have even more fun when you disengage the nannies as FR500GT said, but also you'll have to watch the take off from a corner as nothing will stop you from really spinning the tires.