RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lindsay Lexus Alexandria, VA: Does installing a aftermarket CAI void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 01:04 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lindsay Lexus Alexandria, VA: Does installing a aftermarket CAI void the warranty?

So if anyone knows the answer, thank you and because every dealership is so different my question is: If I install a aftermarket CAI into a RC 350 F, will that void my warranty?

The answer I received from a mechanic or representative at the shop told me that if it damages the engine yes. So I asked what if it is a aftermarket part? The individual then said "If it is not lexus's, then yes it can."
So... no straight forward answer because lexus also provides a "Performance Intake" so are they saying that regardless of what you put in the car it will void the warranty?

Does anyone know if yes, the warranty will be voided if you install a aftermarket CAI or it will not be voided UNLESS the CAI caused engine damage?

Thank you guys!

Also the title should state: When installing a aftermarket CAI... does it void the warranty -_-

Last edited by SRC350F; 08-10-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 03:33 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From my experience with warranties, it won't void it unless the part you replaced with an aftermarket part causes the damage.

If you're super paranoid, like SUUUPEERRDOOOOPER, just remove you intake whenever you bring it into Lexus (Much easier to do if you do your own oil changes)
Old 08-10-15, 03:46 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

No, it will not.

Obviously the Lexus people at your dealership have not read, or have failed to fully comprehend the meaning of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. What the rep and Mechanic said is partially true. The non-OEM part is not under Lexus warranty, but that is the only thing not under warranty. Buying a non-OEM oil filter or air cleaner will not void your power train warranty. With that being said, if you buy a really cheap oil filter or an air filter that has so much oil in it that it fouls you MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, and it hurts your engine then that is an example how a non-OEM part can void your warranty. It is an example of cause and effect. Always buy quality name brand replacement parts, and keep the receipt.

If the part you put on the car damages another part then it will void the warranty, but they, in this case Lexus has to through some kind of mechanical/electrical analysis to prove without a doubt the new part damaged another part. That being said the onus is on the dealership to prove that the oil/air filter or even light bulb caused the issue.

Getting a tune or putting on a Turbo/Supercharger will obviously void the power train warranty as the car was not designed to handle all the extra power and stress that it will cause. Putting in a 100 watt bulb where a 5 watt bulb goes is another example as the higher wattage bulb can overheat the wiring, and cause a fire. Putting on 24" rims and then complaining about the ride quality is another example of what Lexus will say is not their fault. Putting in a Nitrous system will void the warranty, but just putting in a CAI would not. Heck, Lexus sells it's own CAI so how come that doesn't void the warranty? They, Lexus, can't be like a parent where it is "Do as I say, but not as I do" You see the pattern here? Doing things to your car that it was not designed to do will more than likely void some part of the warranty.

That is what the Better Business Office is for or better yet a good lawyer.

All I'm trying to do is educate you and others so that you are not intimated by the dealer to buy OEM parts where you do not necessarily need to.

Knowledge is Power.

Last edited by GearHead69; 12-15-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 04:02 PM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spot on "Gear Head" !
Many are terrified to the point if you wax your car with non approved brand wax your warranty would be voided. An extreme example, yes. But that's what most manufactures would like us to believe.

Attention should be paid to the mass air sensor while swapping. Do not touch the sensor end or bang it into anything. The hose clamps should be installed tightly as to cause no leaks or any un-measured air entering the engine. Other than that it's straight forward and should provide a slight performance upgrade combined with a better exhaust. Oh, I didn't say that did I ? Mods.....they are addictive!
Old 08-10-15, 04:24 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pearlrider
Spot on "Gear Head" !
Many are terrified to the point if you wax your car with non approved brand wax your warranty would be voided. An extreme example, yes. But that's what most manufactures would like us to believe.

Attention should be paid to the mass air sensor while swapping. Do not touch the sensor end or bang it into anything. The hose clamps should be installed tightly as to cause no leaks or any un-measured air entering the engine. Other than that it's straight forward and should provide a slight performance upgrade combined with a better exhaust. Oh, I didn't say that did I ? Mods.....they are addictive!
Thanks, and Yes mods are addictive.

I think the biggest gripe that Dealers have with a CAI is that the owner's will over oil the filter, and cause the issues I described. There are many YouTube videos that show the correct way to clean, and oil the filters.

Of course the Dealers want to charge you $800 for a Lexus CAI, and it's maintenance. In reality another manufacturer actually developed the CAI for Lexus and they just slapped their name on it.
Old 08-10-15, 11:26 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have applied many aftermarket modifications while maintaining and exploiting the full Lexus factory warranty. Rest assured it will not void your warranty...
However, you may find comfort in the Lexus Intake:
F Sport Performance Accessories by Lexus USA are engineered by Toyota Racing Development (TRD). When installed by an authorized dealer, the accessories are fully warranted for 12 months or for the remainder of the new car warranty, whichever is greater. If the F Sport parts are installed by an authorized dealer and the car is out of warranty, or purchased over the counter, the accessories carry a warranty of 12 months or 12,000 miles.
Link: Lexus F Sport Performance Accessories Line Includes Parts for GS, IS C and IS Models
Old 08-11-15, 06:09 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies
Old 08-11-15, 10:50 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Thank you everyone for the replies
Now go get them, and set them straight.