RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Newbie frustration w/remote start, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 07:17 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie frustration w/remote start, etc.

I'm not even sure if this is the place to post these questions (probably has nothing to do with the RC per se, but the Lexus brand in general).

I apologize in advance for these questions but if I don't get any replies or I get slammed because I posted it in the wrong place, I am sure I will get that message loud and clear.

For over 25 years, we have ALWAYS kept the keys in our cars in our garage. Also, our cars have always been unlocked. We never once "lost our keys" in the house and I'm hoping that will still be the case. It has worked well for us.

Not only can I not leave my key in the car anymore (no biggie, I'll learn to adjust), but I can't seem to leave the door unlocked. Leaving the door unlocked is a way bigger inconvenience that not leaving the keys in the car (we can always hang them on the key hook in the garage as we walk upstairs).

When I leave the car doors unlocked, I get alerts. Driver Door Unlocked; Passenger Door Unlocked; Moonroof Open. I finally went down in the garage and closed moonroof and locked the doors.

Also, when I do start my car remotely, as soon as I open the door, the car turns off. Obviously, that defeats the purpose.

One more thing....I don't understand why my moonroof doesn't automatically close when I turn off the car. I'm so used to this being the case with our other cars. Is there a feature that can be toggled on to do this?

Last thing....I always knew when my husband used my car last. He would ALWAYS forget to unlock the passenger door when he got out. My hands are always full of stuff when I go into the garage and having to set everything down (somewhere) and unlock the passenger side door is such a pain (I know, third world problem). But hopefully, I can toggle this option off. I really don't care about the remote start....I don't know when I will use that.

i am going to have to start learning to lock my doors. I have been out of this habit (yes, even out of the garage) for many, many years. I never lock it at work either.

Thanks for listening....again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Dawn
Old 08-23-15, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You posted in the right place.

I assume these technologies are new to you, the keyless entry and start and the enform remote?

1. I don't see any reason why you can't keep your keys in the garage. Or in the car as long as you aren't locking the car.

2. You can change or turn off the enform notification settings so you don't get notifications about the doors being unlocked, etc. Open the app and go to settings and its all right there. You can set very specific notification options. I too leave my car in the garage unlocked but I left the notification on so that I would know if I left it unlocked elsewhere. One little ping when I park it in the garage is worth that IMHO.

3. The Lexus remote start stops the engine when a door or the trunk are opened. Annoying...but there isn't anything that can be done about that.

4. Sunroof doesn't automatically close. Thats an unusual feature, I've never had a car that does that. No such feature on a Lexus.

5. How does your husband just leave the passenger door locked? This is the convenience of carrying the smart key on your person, doesn't matter if the door is unlocked or not, touch the door handle and it unlocks. What you can do is set it to unlock all the doors when you shift to park. Thats how I have always set my Lexus cars and it works for me, then everything is always unlocked. FYI I also prefer when the smart key is used to open the drivers door all the doors unlock.

I would definitely lock your doors when outside of your garage. The world is a very different place than it used to be.
Old 08-23-15, 07:59 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Dawn:
I've had an RC for over 6 months now, and I have some of the same concerns, but they have never been so big of an annoyance for me to even post a note here. Also, many of them can be easily solved.

I used to leave my keys in the car when parked in the garage also, but that is not recommended with the new "fairly smart keys." I just put a little shelf, with a ridge around the edge (half-round) on the wall just outside the door to the garage, where I put the key (and the V-1), and that solves that problem, which is not a big one. Losing car keys in the house is generally only a problem on 60's sitcoms.

In nice weather, I often leave the windows and sometimes the sunroof open when I park the car inside the garage; 5 minutes later I get a note from the car reminding me of this. I don't mind these notes so much, but you can turn any of them off in the App. On the main page, touch the menu button in the upper right corner of the screen, then touch "Manage Notifications" and you can turn on and off these notifications, and even change them from message to email.

You cannot change the fact that the car stops running after a remote start when you open the door; this is a safety concern that Lexus builds into all its cars and cannot be changed, even by a dealer. It is inconvenient to the extent that you have to push the start button after you open the door, but it does prevent a stranger from driving off in your car when you start it while it sits at the curb or in a remote (airport) parking lot. I don't know what you mean by defeating the purpose of the remote start; the purpose of using it is generally to warm up or cool down the car before you go outdoors to drive it away. That purpose is still accomplished, whether you have to push the start button again or not. If you are robbing a bank, then I would see your point.

I don't know of a feature that will close the moonroof when the car is turned off; I've never had that on any of my cars, and it sounds interesting, but I do not think that it's available for this car. Tell your service manager, and he will pass it on to Lexus. But if you park in the garage and turn off the notification, then perhaps this problem goes away.

Finally, the door lock issue. Everybody has his own preference for doorlocks. The default arrangement for Lexus and most other cars is that the remote unlocks the driver's door only, although a double click will unlock all doors (4 on my RX, both on my SC and RC). This setting and also locking doors while driving and parking are now fully adjustable on the RC. I would suggest you set the car to unlock all doors with the first button press - this is handy when two people are getting into the car at the same time. Then set the doors to lock when the car is moving 12 MPH - I think the default is to lock them instantly when the car is taken out of park. The 12 mph setting allows you to move the car around the driveway without this happening.

Then set both doors to unlock when the car is put into Park. This is what I do, as I often put something into the passenger seat before getting in on the other side. These lock/unlock settings are available to you. Check the book or search here or call the tech guru at the dealership to get them set the way that would be most convenient to you.

And by the way, unless things have changed considerably overseas, these are first world problems, not third world problems. I have a lot of them my own self.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-23-15 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Removed references to deflated footballs.
Old 08-23-15, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
You cannot change the fact that the car stops running after a remote start when you open the door; this is a safety concern that Lexus builds into all its cars and cannot be changed, even by a dealer. It is inconvenient to the extent that you have to push the start button after you open the door, but it does prevent a stranger from driving off in your car when you start it while it sits at the curb or in a remote (airport) parking lot.
FYI, I've had a few vehicles from different brands with remote starts. On our Jeeps for instance, the engine stays running when you open the door, but you had to press the start button when you get back in with the key in your pocket to be able to put it into gear and drive away. It would come up in the gauge cluster "REMOTE START ACTIVE PRESS ENGINE START". IMHO thats MUCH preferable to the engine shutting down.

For one thing I'd like it to continue to run while I load things in the trunk, etc.
Old 08-24-15, 08:22 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good information....

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I assume these technologies are new to you, the keyless entry and start and the enform remote?
We've had a remote start before, but I have never had a car that was operated via an app on my cell phone.

Sunroof doesn't automatically close. Thats an unusual feature, I've never had a car that does that. No such feature on a Lexus.
We have had four cars now that automatically shut the moonroof when the key is turned off. Three of them keep the radio and fan going for an extended 30 seconds, which was also a nice feature.

How does your husband just leave the passenger door locked? This is the convenience of carrying the smart key on your person, doesn't matter if the door is unlocked or not, touch the door handle and it unlocks. What you can do is set it to unlock all the doors when you shift to park. Thats how I have always set my Lexus cars and it works for me, then everything is always unlocked. FYI I also prefer when the smart key is used to open the drivers door all the doors unlock.
On the Solara, the passenger side door would automatically lock when you drove the car. So, it was still locked when you exited the car. If you wanted to unlock it, you would have to remember to manually depress the unlock button before you exited the vehicle. I always remembered to do this because I was the one that came downstairs the next a.m. with my hands full. I never actually had the key in my hands (they were in car) and I doubt I will have key in my hands now. I think that I will be fine with the keys hanging on the key holder about 20 feet away. It seems to be working.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Great information everyone--thank you so very much for your informative replies. I already have made great strides in these areas. It is just getting used to a totally new way of operating a vehicle--yes, I even still attempt to remove the keys from the "ignition," before I realize there are no keys!!!!

But I also find myself trying to open a sunglass storage area in the roof of the car--a sunglass storage area that does NOT exist. Old habits die hard--I've been storing my sunglasses in the sunglass compartment for over 9 years.

Dawn
Old 08-24-15, 12:36 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Dawn,

Not sure if you or your husband are interested, but I wrote up a few DIY items that you might want to read though.

Setting the Autoblinker rate:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...o-blinker.html

Owner's Manual Available for download from Lexus

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...rom-lexus.html

Remote Starting the car with the Key Fob:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...h-key-fob.html

What you and the Dealer can customize with the Vehicle Settings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...lanations.html