RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

...gulp

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 12:21 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation ...gulp

I know what those who pass judgement will say to the following question, and that it is heresy. But, have any of you (gulp) with the low profile tires and wheels of the RC 350 F-Sport taken theirs to an automated car wash? If so, did you experience wheel damage?

Just curious, cause sometimes I don't have the time, or am too lazy, to hand wash. There, I asked....
Old 11-01-15, 01:35 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread makes me sad. I know you don't want to hear this but it is both easier and cheaper to clean the car by hand. You're better off leaving the car dirty and hand washing later. Also, it's not good for the paint if you go to an automatic car wash. At the end of the day, it is your car and you can do whatever you want. I'd imagine if pull the car straight into the car wash that you wouldn't get any damage.
Old 11-01-15, 03:13 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZAM
This thread makes me sad. I know you don't want to hear this but it is both easier and cheaper to clean the car by hand. You're better off leaving the car dirty and hand washing later. Also, it's not good for the paint if you go to an automatic car wash. At the end of the day, it is your car and you can do whatever you want. I'd imagine if pull the car straight into the car wash that you wouldn't get any damage.
Yeah, I don't think for the reasons you site, and others, that I would run this car through an automatic car wash. I was just curious about other's experience (if they would actually admit it). Thanks for putting it the way you did and not lecturing.
Old 11-01-15, 04:11 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
............ The dealer I bought my car from offers free washes............
Same hear but no issues at the car wash at my dealership. It is a new showroom and service building which might account for newer equipment and a better experience. No substitute for a hand wash which is my preference during the warmer parts of the year.

If there were an issue I would know who to blame.
Old 11-01-15, 04:53 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

No shame in asking!
Any vehicle costing over $50K, should be hand-washed regularly for many obvious reasons. Spend your time doing more important things and pay someone to do it. I get a wash, dry, and tire-dress from a mobile detailer for $30.
Old 11-01-15, 05:21 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The right car wash shouldn't cause damage. A lot of people believe that the car wash will scratch and damage the car. And that can happen for sure. Depends on the type of cloth used and how often they are cleaned. I have no problem washing my 2015 RX in an auto wash cause it's nebula gray. I do not wash my SC in an auto wash cause it is black. my .02
Old 11-01-15, 05:25 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even let the Lexus dealer wash my car nor my 15 Elantra, yes I wont even take my beater Elantra car through an auto car wash!
Old 11-01-15, 05:54 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the most important thing to remember is when you wash the car yourself you get to see all the nicks, scratches and swirls that might be otherwise over looked. It also depends on how **** you are about your car(s).
Old 11-02-15, 07:19 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

No judgement here. I would't take it through as the bristles from the brush would put thousands of small scratches into the paint.
Old 11-02-15, 07:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

in the book for the RC-F it specifically says do not use automated car wash, pretty sure the book for the RC350 and RC-F are the same book.
Old 11-02-15, 09:24 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

All the posts confirmed what I thought, thanks.
Old 11-02-15, 12:07 PM
is300sport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by a detailer that touchless washes(fully touchless) are fine in-between hand washes.
Old 11-02-15, 04:37 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is300sport
I was told by a detailer that touchless washes(fully touchless) are fine in-between hand washes.
Probably so they can sell you new wheels or wheel repair .
Old 11-02-15, 04:58 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly if you need to go to an automated carwash, I would only go to a touchless one that allows you to drive up in it and park. I don't trust any big machine to move my car.

Otherwise just spend sometime with your car. You can call it a date when you give it a bath =)
Old 11-03-15, 06:06 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Ill be honest i hate washing a car, i can't really recall the last time i have washed my own car. The worst part is drying it, i just do not do a good job at it. I've ran my other cars through automatic washes but i wont do it with the RC due to the side skirts and i just dropped it. I have a guy i call and he comes once a week or so and washes a few of our cars. Price is reasonable, $20 a car.

So did you damage your wheel ?

Quick Reply: ...gulp