RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Is it just me or.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15 | 10:41 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

turn off the surround sound option and your thump will come back.

the Surround sound equalizes the bass over all the mid-range speakers, turning it off forces the bass to the sub.

while it is still not a lot of thump, it is far better.

also for you guys complaining about the volume, turn up the volume on your ipod/iphone if you are linked via Bluetooth, I max mine out for full pre-amp sound, it is the device that is limiting the sound, not the car system. At full output on the iphone 25-30 is fine in the car, by default the Bluetooth volume on the phone is about 10% which then requires me to have the radio volume at 40-50.

just remember the next time you use Bluetooth headphones though, else you'll blow out your ears.
Old 11-17-15 | 10:46 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds

the Surround sound equalizes the bass over all the mid-range speakers, turning it off forces the bass to the sub.

while it is still not a lot of thump, it is far better.

also for you guys complaining about the volume, turn up the volume on your ipod/iphone if you are linked via Bluetooth, I max mine out for full pre-amp sound, it is the device that is limiting the sound, not the car system. At full output on the iphone 25-30 is fine in the car, by default the Bluetooth volume on the phone is about 10% which then requires me to have the radio volume at 40-50.

just remember the next time you use Bluetooth headphones though, else you'll blow out your ears.
I will try that! Never thought about it. I would've imagined surround sound would be better, but it makes sense about how it equalizes everything. I'll turn surround sound off and see how that compares.
Old 11-17-15 | 11:34 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radcoupe
I will try that! Never thought about it. I would've imagined surround sound would be better, but it makes sense about how it equalizes everything. I'll turn surround sound off and see how that compares.

it's better for movies, not so much for music.

All modern MP3s and CDs are designed with two-channel audio, which means a surround sound system will not improve the sound quality of music played in these formats. Bluetooth has very limited bandwidth so it is only broadcasting in 2-channel stereo, not 5-7 channel surround.

Surround sound is used in modern films, video games, and television to create an immersive audio experience. Sounds are broadcast around the listener in relation to the action occurring on-screen, though not all movies make full use of surround sound, and even when they do, it may not be significantly different from stereo. For example, dramas and comedies that are primarily dialogue-driven have little need for the spatial environment created by surround sound.

In other types of films and television, surround sound creates a realistic atmosphere in which listeners can hear footsteps approach from behind, cars recede into the distance, and other sounds that suggest the movement of objects within a three-dimensional space.

This same effect applies for video games, though it can actually have a tactical benefit for the player, allowing him or her to detect the location of enemy characters or in-game events. This is particularly effective in first- and third-person adventure,, role - playing,, and shooter games.

surround sound is also great for sports for its ability to recreate the noise and activity associated with an arena or stadium. In surround sound, voices and cheering in the crowd can be heard all around the listener, creating the sensation of being at a live game.

But in a car, none of these things really apply, having surround sound in the car is only advantageous when you are watching a movie on the Nav Screen
Old 11-17-15 | 11:48 AM
exdakine
Driver

Has anyone installed any audio equipment in the RC yet? I am interested in a sub install.

my RC350 does not have ML system
Old 11-17-15 | 12:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by exdakine
Has anyone installed any audio equipment in the RC yet? I am interested in a sub install.

my RC350 does not have ML system

I've ha Reus Audio in my last 3 cars, while they don't have anything specific for the RC yet, they are local to me and I know the guys very well, I am dropping my car off with them after the L.A. Auto Show for them to fab up a custom sub box and test their equipment.

If you go to the L.A. Auto Show, go see their booth in the aftermarket hall. Ask for Rick he will give you a full demo on whatever vehicles he has at the show.

If you don't know Reus, they specialize in integrating OEM systems with aftermarket amps/subs/speakers.

They use their own branded equipment, which is on par with the mid-high level branded equipment, what I like about their setup is that it is fully oem integrated, the sub boxes are molded to fit the car, and they have a trade up program, so when you trade in your car they move your system from the old to the new car for a nominal fee. The owner is very ocd about proper sound staging and builds each system to the specific acoustics of the vehicle.

most of the vehicles they deal with are high end cars (lambo, Ferrari, Aston martin, MBZ, etc), but they also have a big following by the mustang and corvette guys in OC California because they have contracts with multiple dealerships in the area.
Old 11-17-15 | 12:07 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

I tried turning off the surround sound option as well as the sound leveler and it seemed to help a little bit. I have no problem with the ML system and I think the sound is extremely clear however I think the bass could be slightly better.
Old 11-17-15 | 12:09 PM
exdakine
Driver

I've ha Reus Audio in my last 3 cars, while they don't have anything specific for the RC yet, they are local to me and I know the guys very well, I am dropping my car off with them after the L.A. Auto Show for them to fab up a custom sub box and test their equipment.

If you go to the L.A. Auto Show, go see their booth in the aftermarket hall. Ask for Rick he will give you a full demo on whatever vehicles he has at the show.

If you don't know Reus, they specialize in integrating OEM systems with aftermarket amps/subs/speakers.

They use their own branded equipment, which is on par with the mid-high level branded equipment, what I like about their setup is that it is fully oem integrated, the sub boxes are molded to fit the car, and they have a trade up program, so when you trade in your car they move your system from the old to the new car for a nominal fee. The owner is very ocd about proper sound staging and builds each system to the specific acoustics of the vehicle.

most of the vehicles they deal with are high end cars (lambo, Ferrari, Aston martin, MBZ, etc), but they also have a big following by the mustang and corvette guys in OC California because they have contracts with multiple dealerships in the area.
Interested in your install. It would be awesome if he can document the install with photo's.
Old 11-17-15 | 02:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by exdakine
Interested in your install. It would be awesome if he can document the install with photo's.

we will, we did it for the Camaro forums when they used my Camaro.
Old 11-19-15 | 09:12 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Originally Posted by radcoupe
I'm sorry, enlighten me on what a JL cleansweep is.
It's a DSP unit. instead of replacing your factory radio, you just install this as the primary audio equalizer.

I enhances your audio frequencies and you'll have a more complete sound.

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl441dsp-car-...egration-98110

And as for RC F and GS comparison, it could be attributed to the space and the number of speakers and placement.

Last edited by happy1977; 11-19-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-25-20 | 12:58 PM
BradP350
Driver

I have a 2019 ES350 F-Sport and it sounds like crap!!!! I did some looking around to see if i could improve some how.
Anyway I found out that there is a class action suit against Lexus to fix the system I think it needs a software update
or something. Its sounds really bad but I signed up on the lawsuit so will see what happens>