RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Question about Dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 05:53 PM
CrackerJac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an IS myself and found it annoying the first couple weeks I owned it. Now 3 months later, I never notice it coming on or off. In fact, when I recently turned it off in the settings, I kept feeling like something was missing from that side of the instrumentation panel lol- so I turned it back on!
Old 03-28-16, 08:11 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
While cruising at a constant speed I would not think that "mode" would make any difference, as long as you are in the topmost gear. I think "eco" mode shifts gears sooner when starting from a stop, and the sport modes allow the engine to run itself out in order to get the car off the line faster, which uses more gas. I don't think the mode selection does anything much more than alter the shift points, although I read somewhere that eco shuts off the compressor a bit.

does the 350 switch between the Atkinson and Otto cycles?

if it does ECO mode makes a difference by forcing the motor to maintain the Atkinson cycle along with moderating the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings.

in ECO mode and cruising in an RCF you are almost exclusively using the Atkinson cycle, in Sport or Sport+, The Atkinson cycle is not suppose to interfere with the performance.
Old 03-29-16, 07:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
No, the 3.5 does not have the ability to go into an Atkinson cycle.
Old 03-29-16, 08:17 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

actually the best time to use it is on a long drive where you may have cruise control set and your speed and the terrain is constant.

you would see a fairly drastic increase in overall MPG.

in stop and go traffic while usable it will not add any more MPG benefit than staying in Normal mode.

Hmmm....I thought ECO would be useful during stop and go traffic, not when one's maintaining a more constant speed as with cruise control.
Old 03-29-16, 11:10 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

if it does ECO mode makes a difference by forcing the motor to maintain the Atkinson cycle along with moderating the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings.

in ECO mode and cruising in an RCF you are almost exclusively using the Atkinson cycle, in Sport or Sport+, The Atkinson cycle is not suppose to interfere with the performance.
Originally Posted by Canesguy
Hmmm....I thought ECO would be useful during stop and go traffic, not when one's maintaining a more constant speed as with cruise control.

I was under the assumption that the RC350 also used the Atkinson cycle like the RCF.

ECO mode on the RCF forces the Atkinson cycle to stay on longer and engage more frequently.

hence my comment about constant speed/cruising. In the F, ECO mode keeps the car in Atkinson cycle when cruising.

I have logged the difference in my RCF, it equates to over a 4 mpg difference using the ECO mode for a 100+ mile cruise vs. Sport mode, driving the same route at the same speed.

But again this on the F, not the 350.
Old 04-02-16, 04:49 PM
gmackmoney
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys! New IS 350 non F owner and for the life of me I cannot figure how to turn the ECO indicator light off.
I go into seeting but i don't see where to turn it off...I am thinking it's only in the F sport? what am I doing wrong.

thanks
Old 04-02-16, 07:34 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Pressing down on the **** resets "mode" to normal; this is quite easy to do quickly, and without taking your eyes off the road.
Old 04-02-16, 11:26 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

I think he means the ECO indicator light which comes on even in Normal mode, when you are accelerating gently. To turn this off, you need to press the "multi meter screen" button on the lower right hand side of the steering wheel (with the picture of 3 rectangles) then use the arrows on the upper RHS of the steering wheel to get into the settings screen (where it has language, units of measurement etc) and scroll down until you see "ECO driving indicator light". Then just toggle it on or off.

See p.105 and following of the manual.
Old 04-03-16, 04:47 AM
gmackmoney
Driver School Candidate

GOT IT!!!

Thanks!