Muffler Delete Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 04:38 PM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete Questions

first off im a proud new owner of a new RC 350

alright ladies and gents, ive been bumming around the forum for some info about a muffler delete on my RC. i love the sound and like the 4" tips look. so the questions i need answered are as follows...

1. has anyone had problems with the check engine light coming on afterwards?
2. how has gas mileage been affected?
3. are there any long term affects on the engine as far as valves burning up or engine running lean?
4. How do those of you who have done it like it? do you prefer the sound over stock?

BTW this is my first post and im completely new to the Lexus brand.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-16, 06:52 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Why not get an Ark Performance exhaust? Comes with 4" burnt tips or polished, gain whp, sounds good, and no check engine lights. :P

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-12-16, 07:03 PM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

in my opinion it just doesnt sound as good. but it does satisfy the good looking part.
Old 05-12-16, 09:27 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to do a muffler delete on your car in Texas. This is the same for Oklahoma.
Old 05-13-16, 09:30 AM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

yes ZAM. it is illegal to do it in texas.... but im not worried about that, what i am worried about is the muffler delete causing problems with the O2 sensors and causing the car to run lean. lots of backfire, valve issues, ect.
Old 05-13-16, 09:42 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAM
I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to do a muffler delete on your car in Texas. This is the same for Oklahoma.
Illegal, yes.

Actively or aggressively enforced, no.

If no effort to quiet down the car is made, expect attention. That being said, J-pipes/Helmholtz chambers are an effective noise abatement tool where it matters most. (low end drone)

Low end is where you are most likely to get busted unless you decide to floor it in front of LE. In which case, you've got bigger problems than not having mufflers.
Old 05-13-16, 09:44 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xxkn0xidex
yes ZAM. it is illegal to do it in texas.... but im not worried about that, what i am worried about is the muffler delete causing problems with the O2 sensors and causing the car to run lean. lots of backfire, valve issues, ect.
Leave the resonators on and you should be fine.

The cats and resonators provide sufficient back pressure, as well as mitigating the popping, crackling, etc.
Old 05-13-16, 11:27 AM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Leave the resonators on and you should be fine.

The cats and resonators provide sufficient back pressure, as well as mitigating the popping, crackling, etc.
this is what i was looking for. ^^ thanks litesoarer for the simple response. now all i have to look into is if the chrome muffler tip trim comes off the rear lower bumper. lol
Old 05-17-16, 01:08 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by xxkn0xidex
in my opinion it just doesnt sound as good. but it does satisfy the good looking part.
Agreed with you completely and I can attest to you that the muffler delete is amazing. Just make sure you get staggered tips so it matches the rear bumper line perfectly. Also ask the muffler shop to do a 1 piece bolt on so you can remove it easily incase you ever want to go back to stock.

The sound of the axle back muffler delete on this car sounds great....it will make no sound at idle and only a nice mean growl when you step on it. Post picks when you get done!
Old 05-19-16, 03:05 AM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm, I muffler deleted my car yesterday. It sounds like an 18 year old car with a tryhard system...Putting mufflers back on, what a waste
Old 05-19-16, 12:56 PM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RickHansen
hmmm, I muffler deleted my car yesterday. It sounds like an 18 year old car with a tryhard system...Putting mufflers back on, what a waste
do you have a sound clip of the exhaust? or any pictures of the work done? id like too see how yours was done. and getting a blot on piece to replace the muffler section would prolly be the best way to go in case i feel the same way about it.
Old 05-19-16, 04:36 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RickHansen
You ONLY removed the mufflers, correct? Not the whole axleback and not the resonators and/or cats, correct?
Old 05-19-16, 06:03 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
You ONLY removed the mufflers, correct? Not the whole axleback and not the resonators and/or cats, correct?
Seriously I was going to ask him the same thing...i only did the axle back and it sounds nothing like whatever he described.
All I hear is deep and throaty engine when revving. Unfortunately 'clublexus' doesn't allow uploading video formats (mp4 or mkv) so I couldn't get the file size low enough to upload the video. But if you want to see the video...just email me and I'll send it to you. Here are the audio extracts tho:

Sound @ Cold start while i recorded crouching by the muffler. (this is as loud as gets before it starts to idle and you hear nothing)
cold start.mp3

Sound in Cabin with the windows down@ 2nd gear revved to 5200 RPM
img_1005.mp3

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-16, 09:54 PM
xxkn0xidex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suvi2k
Seriously I was going to ask him the same thing...i only did the axle back and it sounds nothing like whatever he described.
All I hear is deep and throaty engine when revving. Unfortunately 'clublexus' doesn't allow uploading video formats (mp4 or mkv) so I couldn't get the file size low enough to upload the video. But if you want to see the video...just email me and I'll send it to you. Here are the audio extracts tho:

Sound @ Cold start while i recorded crouching by the muffler. (this is as loud as gets before it starts to idle and you hear nothing)
Attachment 387741

Sound in Cabin with the windows down@ 2nd gear revved to 5200 RPM
Attachment 387740

Hope this helps.
Damn.... That does sound good. Not too loud yet not quiet like stock. Thats exactly what im looking for.
Old 05-20-16, 01:30 AM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get better ones in the daylight tomorrow

And I'll try to get a sound clip. To me it almost sounds the same as FR500GT, I just don't like that. It sort of reminds me of back when I use to drop the system off my skyline at the drags
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Delete Questions-img_3573.jpg   Muffler Delete Questions-img_3574.jpg   Muffler Delete Questions-img_3580.jpg  

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete Questions