RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

A year in review--would you buy RC again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 09:33 AM
Thayios
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still loving mine, as you have said, broken necks and compliments EVERYWHERE I go whereas the Audi I was looking at was just "oh that's nice" to most people. It helps to keep the car detailed at all times too!
Old 08-10-16, 05:15 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I would buy mine again in a heartbeat, just maybe not Black as it is a PITA to keep clean. Love it with the CAI I installed, and a few other goodies I've installed.
Old 08-10-16, 08:25 PM
Heed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely I would buy it again

I love this car. I love the seat, fits my behind perfectly. I really enjoy the ride, the dash/ instrumentation and the head turning as I go by. It has enough get up and go to keep me entertained, especially in Sport+. The Enform leaves a bit to be desired, the touch pad takes some getting used to and the voice command is often hysterical in its lack of intuitiveness, but it don't matter to me. My mid-life crisis couldn't be more fun.
Old 08-12-16, 11:22 AM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

LOVEEE it! You know you love it when you look back at it everytime you park. Can't wait for the mid cycle change when that comes out!
Old 08-12-16, 05:17 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm on the fence, Like many have said, the design is awesome but as far as practicality, the car is all but. Depending on the day, I love the car when its just me, but then when I need to haul friends or family around then it makes for a PITA.
Old 08-12-16, 05:27 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I'm on the fence, Like many have said, the design is awesome but as far as practicality, the car is all but. Depending on the day, I love the car when its just me, but then when I need to haul friends or family around then it makes for a PITA.
i get coupes so I don't have to be the designated taxi at lunch or night out haha
Old 08-12-16, 06:22 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Practicality is relative. The RC F has more than enough room for me, just apparently not for you and some others.

One of the biggest reasons I bought this instead of a Porsche 981 is because I would have been hard pressed to fit everything I need to take with me on a contract across the country in a Cayman S. I don't need to transport more than 1 other person, so the back seat doesn't matter to me other than for luggage. Like ssmoked said, I'm not the taxi. In the rare event that I do decide to taxi, or I need to transport something large, then I'll use another vehicle for that.
Old 08-12-16, 06:44 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran up against a E400 today. V6 turbo 329 hp I believe. Looks pretty tight. We didn't really have room to get loose but it seemed they "pulled" pretty similar.
Old 08-13-16, 05:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2👍👍
👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Originally Posted by davew77
practicality is relative. The rc f has more than enough room for me, just apparently not for you and some others.

One of the biggest reasons i bought this instead of a porsche 981 is because i would have been hard pressed to fit everything i need to take with me on a contract across the country in a cayman s. I don't need to transport more than 1 other person, so the back seat doesn't matter to me other than for luggage. Like ssmoked said, i'm not the taxi. In the rare event that i do decide to taxi, or i need to transport something large, then i'll use another vehicle for that.
Old 08-13-16, 06:43 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davew77
Practicality is relative. The RC F has more than enough room for me, just apparently not for you and some others.

One of the biggest reasons I bought this instead of a Porsche 981 is because I would have been hard pressed to fit everything I need to take with me on a contract across the country in a Cayman S. I don't need to transport more than 1 other person, so the back seat doesn't matter to me other than for luggage. Like ssmoked said, I'm not the taxi. In the rare event that I do decide to taxi, or I need to transport something large, then I'll use another vehicle for that.
As a young single person, I don't have the luxury of having a second car and as far as being a "taxi", not that either but there are times when I do need more space. With that said, I'm still on the fence.
Old 08-13-16, 06:46 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i get coupes so I don't have to be the designated taxi at lunch or night out haha
Great!
Old 08-14-16, 12:35 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

As a young single person, I don't have the luxury of having a second car and as far as being a "taxi", not that either but there are times when I do need more space. With that said, I'm still on the fence.
You gotta do what's right for you. But a second vehicle just for those times when you do need extra space doesn't have to be pricey. If the need for extra space is rare, then perhaps even consider renting a vehicle for those times.

I'm just offering some alternatives. I always have to have a fun vehicle in my possession, no matter what. But if it's going to upset your retirement, then perhaps look at sports cars that are cheaper?

I don't know how old you are. I'm not exactly young anymore, but I'm also not that old. I still attract girls 18-25. If I were 21 again though and I was in a position to even consider purchasing my RC F (I wasn't when I was 21) then I would be all over it. Especially if I were single.
Old 08-20-16, 08:11 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not. I've had the rc 350 f-sport for 14 months now and actually looking forward to getting out of it by next summer.

Over time I've fallen less in love with the look. The front slants out too much from top to bottom and the fake vents on the rear haven't grown on me.

Two bigger reasons are the drive and the infotainment system. Lexus really needs to update their low dpi display and implement a larger screen. The voice interaction and Bluetooth are very good, however.

The sunroof dials are f*ed up. No need for two buttons since the open button tilts more than the tilt button. What were they thinking?

Lastly is the drive. I often feel I am riding a Cadillac with a sporty design. Even in sport + mode there is significant disconnect and numb feeling behind the wheel. The Sport / Sport + modes should be combined because you can't really tell any difference between the two. The car just displays a much more aggressive look than it does drive.

The fact that you can't set a default drive mode and have to expand the dash display manually every time you start the car is ridiculous.

The rear seating is horrendous. Anyone at 5'6" height and taller has to deal with their head touching the headliner.

The collision alert is beyond pathetic. The beeps are completely unreliable and inaccurate. Completely unreliable and should be more sensitive when coming within a hair's length of another object. It's more of a Lexus added gimmick that's completely unrefined.

Lastly, there's an annoying clunk when turning and accelerating that is supposedly "normal."

Last edited by FUZCO; 08-20-16 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 07:02 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
the infotainment system. Lexus really needs to update their low dpi display and implement a larger screen. The voice interaction and Bluetooth are very good, however.
That ! And the car feels toooooo heavy. Well, it is heavy.
Old 08-21-16, 01:26 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
That ! And the car feels toooooo heavy. Well, it is heavy.
The RC's heaviness can use a more powerful engine no doubt. Probably the main reason for the numbness behind the wheel. But there's a flip-side because the heaviness of the car is what gives it the smooth and solid drive.

Quick Reply: A year in review--would you buy RC again?