RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

I need a rear spoiler template

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 06:59 PM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need a rear spoiler template

Does anyone have the OEM rear spoiler template for the RC 350? I just bought my wife a sweet 2015 RC 350 with 5800 miles on it yesterday and she wants a spoiler on it. I just placed an order for the OEM spoiler and it should be here in a few days. Does anyone have one that I could borrow? I would pay for shipping both ways or if you want to re-coup some of your money spent on the template, I'll buy it from you? I live in the Birmingham, AL area.

Let me know if you have one.

Thanks, Marshall
Attached Thumbnails I need a rear spoiler template-20170330_105637.jpg   I need a rear spoiler template-20170330_105700.jpg   I need a rear spoiler template-20170330_112707.jpg  

Last edited by outlaw8950; 03-31-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 10:45 PM
g0tem
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you also place an order for the install kit? i believe it comes w/ the necessary hardware, trunk springs, template, etc.
PT29A24150TL
Old 04-01-17, 05:26 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the installation kit template for drilling the holes, part no. PT29A-24150-TL. Check out my post on installing the spoiler. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...r-install.html I've seen many others just rely on the doubleback tape without drilling the holes. Send me a private message if you want to arrange getting it.
Old 04-02-17, 09:35 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed my spoiler using 3M. I really was hesitant on drilling holes and noticed many other people would choose the 3M option over drilling.
Old 04-02-17, 11:20 AM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by g0tem
did you also place an order for the install kit? i believe it comes w/ the necessary hardware, trunk springs, template, etc.
PT29A24150TL
I was wondering about that but Poqman said the spoiler does come with the springs and everything.You would think that since the spoiler only fits one vehicle that the template should be included.
Old 04-02-17, 11:24 AM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RealMCR12
I installed my spoiler using 3M. I really was hesitant on drilling holes and noticed many other people would choose the 3M option over drilling.
I have seen that people have done that. I installed the spoiler on my 2011 BMW 335I using the 3M tape last year and haven't had any problems.

Since the Lexus spoiler comes with bolts, i figure I'll go ahead and use them. My wife can't wait for it to get here and be put on.
Old 04-02-17, 12:32 PM
g0tem
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... i dont think thats what my the parts guy at houseoflexus said but that may be the case. I find $40 for template alone to be rather high but i bought the install kit just in case

if youre just taping, do you even need the template?
Old 04-03-17, 07:50 AM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... i dont think thats what my the parts guy at houseoflexus said but that may be the case. I find $40 for template alone to be rather high but i bought the install kit just in case

if youre just taping, do you even need the template?
I am going by what Poqman told me about the spoiler kit. He said the spoiler comes with the springs and hardware and the template comes separate. I called Lexus customer service and voiced my opinion as to how goofy it is to sell the two separate. The spoiler only fits one vehicle and so does the template to my knowledge. It's just their way of making more money off us.

If I was going to use the tape only then I could position the spoiler prior to removing the tape but I don't want any issues down the road. The spoiler will catch a lot of wind since it a little taller than other spoilers I've seen, I want it to stay put.
Old 04-08-17, 04:36 PM
g0tem
Driver School Candidate

I bought the spoiler and kit... cut off the metal studs and installed the spoiler today. I didnt use the template because it wasnt goign to help me at all. The template is used to identify where to drill holes. If you're looking to use the template to identify where to position the spoiler, the shape of the spoiler will already do that for you because of the way the trunk and spoiler is shaped.

also, there's not a lot of space to put a lot of double sided tape and the regular outdoor 3m tape is a bit thick so i had to cut it in half and use strips.

Install was easy, and the spoiler is on there real good. No movement at all.
Old 04-09-17, 07:05 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

" It's just their way of making more money off us."
No, it's not. If Lexus bundled them, then the cost of the kit+template would have to go up, and everyone who does not need the template (those using the tape go get it "on there real good") would be forced to buy one only to throw it away. By selling it separately, Lexus makes less money "off us."
Old 04-10-17, 10:24 PM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
" It's just their way of making more money off us."
No, it's not. If Lexus bundled them, then the cost of the kit+template would have to go up, and everyone who does not need the template (those using the tape go get it "on there real good") would be forced to buy one only to throw it away. By selling it separately, Lexus makes less money "off us."
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. The production cost for the flimsy two pieces of plastic the template is made from is more than likely very minimal and could easily be added to the kit without raising the price but by a few dollars. The spoiler comes with the bolts for a reason and from a safety standpoint, should be used. The spoiler has a good bit of angle on it and when traveling at highway speeds there will be a lot of wind resistance on it. Cutting off the bolts and using only the tape is possibly not the safest route to take but to each his own. I will be using the template and drilling the holes to install the wing per factory specs for my own peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
chicagoblknazn (06-26-23)
Old 04-11-17, 07:45 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

I think I agree with your response. The template is just a piece of paper, and surely costs more to package and market separately than just sticking a copy into every spoiler box. My car came with the spoiler, but were I to install one myself, I would surely use the bolts, and would not just glue it on, as I would not want to be at the defendant's table when the guy behind me files his giant lawsuit because a giant red spoiler flew through his windshield at 85 mph.
Old 04-15-17, 11:49 AM
outlaw8950
Driver School Candidate

That would be a bad day if it did come off even if it didn't hit anyone else. I installed the spoiler yesterday and it looks great! I was reluctant to drill holes in the trunk of our forty something thousand dollar car though but I took a deep breath and did it. I touched up the hole with some paint to seal the bare metal.
Old 08-12-18, 11:25 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default thanks for the pics

Just the center stud holes drilled for test for

Chalk transfer marking outer bolt holes after test fit

Really nice fitment

Really happy with my results. Just wish my scout in the background would fit back together as easy.
I just for my spoiler kit yesterday. Mine came with the hardware and thought it would come with a template similar to others. You don't really need a template but it would make install a lot faster and less stressful.
Luckily those pics you uploaded helped me confirm my hole marks before i drilled so thanks for your install pics.
I eyeballed the fitment for the center studs for about 30 min. Once i saw your pics i drilled them.
Then using some red side walk chalk on the foam pads around the outside bolt holes test for with the studs and transferred the chalk marks to drill the outside holes.
I am very happy with the results.
Old 08-13-18, 06:52 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the spoiler and kit... cut off the metal studs and installed the spoiler today. I didnt use the template because it wasnt goign to help me at all. The template is used to identify where to drill holes. If you're looking to use the template to identify where to position the spoiler, the shape of the spoiler will already do that for you because of the way the trunk and spoiler is shaped.

also, there's not a lot of space to put a lot of double sided tape and the regular outdoor 3m tape is a bit thick so i had to cut it in half and use strips.

Install was easy, and the spoiler is on there real good. No movement at all.
I would like to confirm regarding the spoiler and kit. Do we still need to by the kit if we go with the 3M tape only? What does the kit "do" to the spoiler installation? Does it help to support the weight of the spoiler during the opening?

Quick Reply: I need a rear spoiler template