Lexus warranty for putting rsr superdown spring for rc350 awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 05:12 PM
nomz09
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus warranty for putting rsr superdown spring for rc350 awd

Hi Guys,

I just recently installed RSR superdown spring on my 2017 rc350 awd and my car is due for 5k complimentary maintenance. I am thinking to let them do wheel alignment also since they are ding 5k complimentary on my car and swapping my winter wheels (18") to my stock lexus 19 inch wheels. would they void my warranty if i let them do that? would you recommend them doing wheel alignment or just go somewhere and dont let them know about my springs so i wont void my warranty if they void it? Please help thanks. Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-17, 08:58 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Springs shouldn't void your warranty. Like anything else though it really depends on the dealer and what they say. The general rule is if the part you have installed is a boly on and does not mess with any other parts of the car then by law they can't void your warranty... but for example say you had a part installed that caused something else to go wrong with the car, that is no longer covered under warranty. Your springs shouldn't affect any other core systems so I think you will be okay.
Old 04-20-17, 09:20 AM
nomz09
Rookie

Originally Posted by forcaport7
Springs shouldn't void your warranty. Like anything else though it really depends on the dealer and what they say. The general rule is if the part you have installed is a boly on and does not mess with any other parts of the car then by law they can't void your warranty... but for example say you had a part installed that caused something else to go wrong with the car, that is no longer covered under warranty. Your springs shouldn't affect any other core systems so I think you will be okay.

Thanks for the input man.im sure if i do my wheel alignment to them hope they wont notice the springs. but thanks i appreciate it
Old 04-20-17, 09:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

the warranty on your suspension is void the minute you put on aftermarket parts, Lexus is no longer liable for any issues as a result of your springs that are related to your springs.. for example if a tie-rod, ball-joint, or bushing in the suspension system fails, they can attribute that to the springs, as long as there is a link between the aftermarket part and the failure they can void the warranty on those individual parts.

they can't legally void the warranty on any unrelated part, so your overall warranty isn't void, but the warranty on your suspension most likely would be if an issue arose.

dealer can do the alignment if you want, they will over charge you for it, most tire shops charge $150-$200 for a 3 year alignment, that is you pay $200 and you get an free alignment every 6 months for 3 years, the dealer charges the same for a one time alignment. so it depends on your budget.

you do get 1 alignment free within the first 12mo/20K miles, don't know if the dealer will honor it with the lowering springs.

under basic warranty here for alignment info:

http://www.lexus.com/warranty

Last edited by mjeds; 04-20-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 10:25 AM
nomz09
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
the warranty on your suspension is void the minute you put on aftermarket parts, Lexus is no longer liable for any issues as a result of your springs that are related to your springs.. for example if a tie-rod, ball-joint, or bushing in the suspension system fails, they can attribute that to the springs, as long as there is a link between the aftermarket part and the failure they can void the warranty on those individual parts.

they can't legally void the warranty on any unrelated part, so your overall warranty isn't void, but the warranty on your suspension most likely would be if an issue arose.

dealer can do the alignment if you want, they will over charge you for it, most tire shops charge $150-$200 for a 3 year alignment, that is you pay $200 and you get an free alignment every 6 months for 3 years, they dealer charges the same for a one time alignment. so it depends on your budget.

you do get 1 alignment free within the first 12mo/20K miles, don't know if the dealer will honor it with the lowering springs.

under basic warranty here for alignment info:

http://www.lexus.com/warranty

Oh great thanks for that info. i figured thats the case But how can they void it if they dont know i replaced the spring? or they will void it right away as soon as they find out without me claiming issues? Like example, next wk i am due to complimentary 5k maintenance but since i changed the spring and will want them to do alignment, if they see i changed the spring they will void the warranty right away? or they will void it when i claim something that is part of the warranty? as far as i know they wont know or if they know, they will not void my warranty until i claim something. because then, if something happen i can always put the stock back. correct me if i am wrong. just curios. othwerwise, i can go somewhere else for alignment so lexus wont know if i change the spring. so if something happens, i can always put the stock back
Old 04-20-17, 10:43 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nomz09
Oh great thanks for that info. i figured thats the case But how can they void it if they dont know i replaced the spring? or they will void it right away as soon as they find out without me claiming issues? Like example, next wk i am due to complimentary 5k maintenance but since i changed the spring and will want them to do alignment, if they see i changed the spring they will void the warranty right away? or they will void it when i claim something that is part of the warranty? as far as i know they wont know or if they know, they will not void my warranty until i claim something. because then, if something happen i can always put the stock back. correct me if i am wrong. just curios. othwerwise, i can go somewhere else for alignment so lexus wont know if i change the spring. so if something happens, i can always put the stock back
they will know.. they will see the height of the vehicle is not OEM, or they will see the springs when they put it on the rack to do the alignment and/or 5k service and inspection. Tech people aren't stupid, just because you don't say something doesn't mean they can't see it or figure it out for themselves.

They won't void your warranty or claim the warranty won't cover something until you bring the vehicle in to address a specific concern related to the suspension. I.e. the alignment, they will see the alignment out of spec, they will in turn inspect the various suspension parts as to assert why, and then see the vehicle is lowered, the control arms will be out of place, the shock will be compressed, there could be stress on the bushings, etc.. as I said tech people are not stupid.

they might see the markings on the springs and note they are not Lexus markings or logos.

At this point they "could" say the warranty for 1 free alignment is null and void, or they could do it and not say anything, but they may note your VIN that you have modified suspension in case of future suspension issues.

you're under the impression if you don't say anything and they don't notice, then you are in the clear. But trust me, they will know, and depending on the tech they may or may not report it.

and knowingly swapping back in the factory springs after the after market springs have caused a failure in hopes that the warranty will repair the failure for free is considered fraud, of course as the old saying goes it's only illegal if you get caught.

BTW I spent nearly 20 years as an ASE tech for GM and Chrysler, so yeah we aren't stupid, and again depending on the tech, they may or may not note the VIN in the computer system..
Old 04-20-17, 10:57 AM
nomz09
Rookie

they will know.. they will see the height of the vehicle is not OEM, or they will see the springs when they put it on the rack to do the alignment and/or 5k service and inspection. Tech people aren't stupid, just because you don't say something doesn't mean they can't see it or figure it out for themselves.

They won't void your warranty or claim the warranty won't cover something until you bring the vehicle in to address a specific concern related to the suspension. I.e. the alignment, they will see the alignment out of spec, they will in turn inspect the various suspension parts as to assert why, and then see the vehicle is lowered, the control arms will be out of place, the shock will be compressed, there could be stress on the bushings, etc.. as I said tech people are not stupid.

they might see the markings on the springs and note they are not Lexus markings or logos.

At this point they "could" say the warranty for 1 free alignment is null and void, or they could do it and not say anything, but they may note your VIN that you have modified suspension in case of future suspension issues.

you're under the impression if you don't say anything and they don't notice, then you are in the clear. But trust me, they will know, and depending on the tech they may or may not report it.

and knowingly swapping back in the factory springs after the after market springs have caused a failure in hopes that the warranty will repair the failure for free is considered fraud, of course as the old saying goes it's only illegal if you get caught.

BTW I spent nearly 20 years as an ASE tech for GM and Chrysler, so yeah we aren't stupid, and again depending on the tech, they may or may not note the VIN in the computer system..

Hmmmm totally make sense and i get it. just seeing if something i can get away with it. so then dealers do mark on your vin if you make some changes..got it thanks.... so the complimentary 5k miles service is must then huh?
Old 04-20-17, 11:23 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Hmmmm totally make sense and i get it. just seeing if something i can get away with it. so then dealers do mark on your vin if you make some changes..got it thanks.... so the complimentary 5k miles service is must then huh?
some do yes, I know in CA Santa Monica Lexus and Cerritos Lexus do and aren't very mod friendly, but Westminster Lexus is friendly toward mods.

the 5K service is an oil change and inspection.. the oil change is a must, do it yourself or have it done at a local shop if it concerns you that much, just maintain your receipts (for any dealer or non-dealer work performed) so you can prove it was done if every asked during a warranty service later.

but yes some dealers do notate your VIN in their systems if they see something aftermarket or modified that could raise a red flag during warranty coverage.
Old 04-20-17, 11:35 AM
nomz09
Rookie

some do yes, I know in CA Santa Monica Lexus and Cerritos Lexus do and aren't very mod friendly, but Westminster Lexus is friendly toward mods.

the 5K service is an oil change and inspection.. the oil change is a must, do it yourself or have it done at a local shop if it concerns you that much, just maintain your receipts (for any dealer or non-dealer work performed) so you can prove it was done if every asked during a warranty service later.

but yes some dealers do notate your VIN in their systems if they see something aftermarket or modified that could raise a red flag during warranty coverage.

awesome info. thanks a lot bro..i really appreciate it. i guess its not much a big deal for suspension warranty. atleast thats the only thing they will void. thanks man.. but i have no choice but to go with them as they have my summer wheels as i bought my winter wheels and tires to them so free storage and free to swap it with sensor. one last thing, if i buy another wheels, it will also void the service i bought for them right like swapping my wheels and free storage?
Old 04-20-17, 11:52 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

awesome info. thanks a lot bro..i really appreciate it. i guess its not much a big deal for suspension warranty. atleast thats the only thing they will void. thanks man.. but i have no choice but to go with them as they have my summer wheels as i bought my winter wheels and tires to them so free storage and free to swap it with sensor. one last thing, if i buy another wheels, it will also void the service i bought for them right like swapping my wheels and free storage?

tires are wear items, not covered under warranty.

the wheel warranty is an optional purchase, if you didn't buy it, then your wheels are only covered in the event of a defect..

as far as the storage swapping thing, you have to ask them, no such thing in Southern California, no snow here. I use the same wheels/tires year around..
Old 04-20-17, 12:16 PM
nomz09
Rookie

tires are wear items, not covered under warranty.

the wheel warranty is an optional purchase, if you didn't buy it, then your wheels are only covered in the event of a defect..

as far as the storage swapping thing, you have to ask them, no such thing in Southern California, no snow here. I use the same wheels/tires year around..

thanks for your time answering and clearing up.
Old 04-22-17, 06:46 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Any aftermarket will void your warranty no matter what ! for some dealer oil catch can void warranty too.
Old 04-22-17, 10:11 AM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Any aftermarket will void your warranty no matter what ! for some dealer oil catch can void warranty too.
This is untrue. The aftermarket part must relate to the warranty and the dealer must prove that the part caused the problem requiring the repair.
Old 04-22-17, 04:48 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Solara350
Originally Posted by Arfboy
This is untrue. The aftermarket part must relate to the warranty and the dealer must prove that the part caused the problem requiring the repair.
^^^^^ bingo. ^^^^^

there are some dealerships that will deny warranty claims if you have aftermarket items installed, and that is their prerogative, a dealership CANNOT void a warranty, only deny a claim, only the manufacturer can completely void the warranty, and there is a legal process they have to follow to do it.

Dealerships have been known to use the words "your warranty is void" but a simple call to the manufacturer customer service line 9.9:10 times will prove otherwise.

Dealerships are in business to make money, they do not like doing warranty work because they are only paid the manufacturers recommended booking hours for the work, even if it takes them longer to do, and they are only reimbursed at a set rate, which is no where near what they charge you as a customer. GM, Chrysler, and Ford dealerships are known for auto refusal of any warranty claim on the initial request, and unless the customer opens a case with corp, they will charge you.

I worked in the industry for a long time, and it is common practice for a lot of dealerships to have their dealership employed warranty representative (works for dealer not manufacturer) to out right deny any warranty claims over a specific dollar amount and force the customer to get corp approval.