RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

rc350 F - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 07:29 PM
LEBOB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rc350 F - Brake Pads

I have recently changed my brake pads to StopTech - Performance Spec and have been hearing bad squeaking noise at all speeds. However, I did hear some squeaking at low speeds from the original pads as well before I changed them. I have 30?k miles on the car.

Any recommendations? Should I go back to OEM pads and any one know the exact part number for the OEM?

Thanks
Old 06-26-17, 01:35 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Did you do a proper bed-in with your new brake pads (e.g. performing multiple and consistent stops from 60-10 mph to heat the pads enough to create a transfer layer to the rotors?
Old 06-26-17, 02:55 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmm.....never heard anything brake related to ours even when new.
Old 06-26-17, 05:34 PM
LEBOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
Did you do a proper bed-in with your new brake pads (e.g. performing multiple and consistent stops from 60-10 mph to heat the pads enough to create a transfer layer to the rotors?
I am trying to but how many times do I need to do that to properly bed-in? and it's been over 1000 miles since I changed them. If there is an issue with the rotor, is this something that is covered thru warranty?
Old 06-27-17, 01:32 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Give this a try:
Originally Posted by ISF350

Procedure from stoptech website:
--------------------------------------
STOPTECH SPORT BRAKE PAD PERFORMANCE IS ENHANCED BY CARRYING OUT A PAD/ROTOR BREAK-IN.

by Steve Ruiz of StopTech

STOPTECH RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING BREAK-IN PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATIONS SUCH AS HEAVY ROAD OR TRACK USE:

STOPTECH DOES NOT ENDORSE SPEEDING ON PUBLIC ROADS

1. Read through the procedure and find a suitable, safe and legal area to perform the necessary stops.

2. BEFORE starting the break-in procedure, drive with gentle braking. Do not use brakes aggressively until completing the break-in procedure.

3. Make a series of 15 stops from 50 to 5-10 MPH. At the end of each stop, immediately accelerate to 50 again for the next stop. Run all stops continuously in one cycle. (For Track use you can replace the recommended stops with 10 stops from 60 to 5-10).

4. During the 50 (60) to 5-10 MPH series of stops, the exact speed is not critical. Accelerate to approximately 50 (60) and begin the braking cycle. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD AND APPROXIMATE YOUR SPEED AT THE END OF EACH CYCLE.

5. A moderate braking effort is needed to properly bed-in the rotors and pads. A stopping force of approximately 0.8G’s, or just short of ABS intervention is the level of pedal effort you are trying to attain.

NOTE: BEFORE COMPLETING THE BREAK-IN, DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP WHILE THE PADS AND ROTORS ARE VERY HOT! THIS WILL TRANSFFER PAD MATERIAL NON-UNIFORMLY ONTO THE ROTOR, CAUSING A VIBRATION DURING FUTURE USE.

If the break-in cannot be done or is deemed hazardous under the circumstances, then taking the opportunity to brake hard but not to the point of high temperatures being realized prior to break-in being completed, can eventually yield the same result. Estimated miles to accomplish this will vary with actual use but can be as much as or more than 600 miles.
Old 07-07-17, 09:26 AM
LEBOB
Driver School Candidate

I have tried the pads bed-in and did not hear a noise that day, but came back the next day. I am planning to get the OEM brake pads installed and try to bring it to the dealer to see if they can fix it, but are rotors or other parts related to squeaking noise covered by warranty?

What are my options at this point? anyone know the part number to the oem pads?

Thanks
Old 08-02-17, 10:59 AM
dychang174
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever figure out the problem? Ive changed my brake pads 3 different times and I can't get rid of the loud squeal. Only happens when I come to a stop. I'm thinking of changing the rotors and pads before taking it to the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Supersnake (12-05-22)
Old 08-02-17, 11:03 AM
LEBOB
Driver School Candidate

hey I replaced them to OEM lexus brake pads and solved the issue. I think it's too soon for a rotor change but if you've used aftermarket pads; definitely get the pads at lexus.com.(parts) I believe they had the best price which was about $60.
Supersnake (12-05-22)
Old 12-05-22, 02:08 PM
Supersnake
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on my 2016 rc350

Originally Posted by LEBOB
hey I replaced them to OEM lexus brake pads and solved the issue. I think it's too soon for a rotor change but if you've used aftermarket pads; definitely get the pads at lexus.com.(parts) I believe they had the best price which was about $60.

Did the OEM brakes still solve the issue? I’ve used oem pads/ I’ve used 2 different sets of noise pads and I finally replaced the rotors and pads to R1 concepts drilled and slotted performance rotors with their pads and it’s still squealing ridiculously loud even after proper bedding. I need a solution (I’m about done with Lexus)
Old 12-05-22, 02:11 PM
Supersnake
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dychang174
Did you ever figure out the problem? Ive changed my brake pads 3 different times and I can't get rid of the loud squeal. Only happens when I come to a stop. I'm thinking of changing the rotors and pads before taking it to the dealership.
are you still having this issue? I’m having the same issues and I’ve gone through 3 sets of rotors and pads aswell. This is clearly an issue with the RC 350. Probably has something to do with the design of the calipers. At the end of the day it’s just pads and rotors like every other vehicle so it has to be their design
Old 12-05-22, 11:45 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersnake
Did the OEM brakes still solve the issue? I’ve used oem pads/ I’ve used 2 different sets of noise pads and I finally replaced the rotors and pads to R1 concepts drilled and slotted performance rotors with their pads and it’s still squealing ridiculously loud even after proper bedding. I need a solution (I’m about done with Lexus)
My R1 Concepts drilled and slotted front rotors and R1 Concepts front ceramic brake pads decided to quiet down after around 8000 miles. Yep, you read it right, 8K miles.
Old 12-12-22, 05:08 PM
blackbond
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CLightning
My R1 Concepts drilled and slotted front rotors and R1 Concepts front ceramic brake pads decided to quiet down after around 8000 miles. Yep, you read it right, 8K miles.
Hey would love to see your rotors mounted on your car... do you have any photos? Also, 8k is a long time. I have the dreaded squeaky pads on my "new" 2015 RC350 awd f-sport..and its bothering the crap out of me...i only hear them after the car sits for a long time and i get in to go for a drive.
Old 12-12-22, 08:45 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, they're beautiful but I can't say I can recommend them though. For the first 5K+ miles they sounded like the brakes from hell!
blackbond (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22, 04:54 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

Quiet

Low Dust

Stopping Power.

Pick Two.
Old 12-13-22, 07:32 PM
blackbond
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CLightning

Yeah, they're beautiful but I can't say I can recommend them though. For the first 5K+ miles they sounded like the brakes from hell!

Wow those look amazing. Love the calipers too btw! I want to definitely get mine repainted. Someone who had my car before me painted only the front calipers red (and its not even bright red). I'd like to have all of my calipers a bright orange like the newer models.