RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Help - car perpetually in snow mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 06:28 AM
dimikxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - car perpetually in snow mode?

Friends,

This is my first post. I have a 2015 RC 350 AWD F sport with 29K miles. The following "bug" happened to me before, and I am unsure how to fix it. Keep in mind I am not a "car junkie" per se.

It snowed in NYC two days ago. I placed my car into SNOW mode as I was driving home during the actual snowfall. I felt the throttle decrease, and my RPMs were lower, which I understand is the point. FYI, I drive in automatic mode.
The following morning, I started my car and went to work (without any snow mode activation). My car acted like it was STILL in snow mode, with low RPMs. When I got on the highway, above 40-50 mph, my wheel was shaking, and I see that the car is in 6th gear!
Something is up with the electronic gear shifting, it shifts so "early", and my RPMs are slow.

I had this in the past, the exact same scenario. I did some google-ing and found some method to reboot the RPMs. It was some bizarre method with like switching from Auto, to Manual - some particular sequence. I do not remember, and I can't seem to find the link.

Does anyone know what this is? Do I have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU?

Thanks
Old 01-06-18, 04:24 PM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dimikxx
Friends,

This is my first post. I have a 2015 RC 350 AWD F sport with 29K miles. The following "bug" happened to me before, and I am unsure how to fix it. Keep in mind I am not a "car junkie" per se.

It snowed in NYC two days ago. I placed my car into SNOW mode as I was driving home during the actual snowfall. I felt the throttle decrease, and my RPMs were lower, which I understand is the point. FYI, I drive in automatic mode.
The following morning, I started my car and went to work (without any snow mode activation). My car acted like it was STILL in snow mode, with low RPMs. When I got on the highway, above 40-50 mph, my wheel was shaking, and I see that the car is in 6th gear!
Something is up with the electronic gear shifting, it shifts so "early", and my RPMs are slow.

I had this in the past, the exact same scenario. I did some google-ing and found some method to reboot the RPMs. It was some bizarre method with like switching from Auto, to Manual - some particular sequence. I do not remember, and I can't seem to find the link.

Does anyone know what this is? Do I have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU?

Thanks
So I had my RC300 in snow mode the day after the blizzard here in MA. My car was shaking on the highway too. The reason for the shaking and sluggish response was snow/ice stuck in the aluminum wheels. Take a look and see if the wheels are caked up with snow/ice. It throws the tire balance completely off.
You can wait for a thaw or go to a no touch car wash like I did and let the high pressure hot water melt the snow/ice. This immediately cured the problem for me.
By the way the snow mode did not cause the problem with my car. It was just a coincidence that the shaking occurred at the same time I selected snow mode.
Old 01-08-18, 01:45 PM
dimikxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
So I had my RC300 in snow mode the day after the blizzard here in MA. My car was shaking on the highway too. The reason for the shaking and sluggish response was snow/ice stuck in the aluminum wheels. Take a look and see if the wheels are caked up with snow/ice. It throws the tire balance completely off.
You can wait for a thaw or go to a no touch car wash like I did and let the high pressure hot water melt the snow/ice. This immediately cured the problem for me.
By the way the snow mode did not cause the problem with my car. It was just a coincidence that the shaking occurred at the same time I selected snow mode.

You were absolutely correct. Thank you!!!
Old 01-08-18, 02:36 PM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your welcome!
Old 01-09-18, 02:33 PM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

very nice!!!