RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus RCF shipped to France - GPS dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 01:24 PM
kmh1230
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RCF shipped to France - GPS dead

Hi all, I just shipped my 2015 Lexus RCF to France. I bought a Europe SD card and asked the dealer to install it today. They said that they couldn't get it to work and a new GPS will cost 4K. Then I contacted Lexus International and they tell me that the Lexus US GPS won't work in Europe. I'm sorry but this is BS, I think it's a lock on the software so that we have to buy something. I can't imagine that all GPS systems are different....for example, my garmin GPS works fine in both the EU and US with the maps. Any advice or suggestions or has anyone had experience with this?
Old 09-12-18, 02:12 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kmh1230
Hi all, I just shipped my 2015 Lexus RCF to France. I bought a Europe SD card and asked the dealer to install it today. They said that they couldn't get it to work and a new GPS will cost 4K. Then I contacted Lexus International and they tell me that the Lexus US GPS won't work in Europe. I'm sorry but this is BS, I think it's a lock on the software so that we have to buy something. I can't imagine that all GPS systems are different....for example, my garmin GPS works fine in both the EU and US with the maps. Any advice or suggestions or has anyone had experience with this?
Google Maps. I have used the app all over Europe.
Old 09-14-18, 05:52 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, you should have asked here beforehand. Yes it's a software regional lock mechanism due to price differences in region. Many imported RC350s or any 350 models from US have suffered the same fate. Only way to buy EU spec 350 is from Ukraine or Russia. I'm not aware if Toyota GPS protection has been broken yet that's something you would need to research on Russian forums cause they import a lot of US spec cars or maybe some German forums where cracked BMW/Audi maps are posted. Basically you need cracked maps in order for it to work. Maybe the quickest solution would be to find any US imported Lexus for sale in Germany or France and ask if Euro maps work, if they do ask them how.

On a side not DO NOT ever try to import any kind of Tesla vehicle from US to EU and vice versa.
Old 09-14-18, 11:31 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

sorry to hear that. But Car manufacturers would rather you not to transplant cars in other countries. start double checking part numbers for the nav unit in EUR and US. If you could find a totaled RC whether it be a regular RC or RCF you would be just fine. What you bout was an updated GPS SD card. Which does not have the ability to switch the unit's location in the world

Find a totaled EUR RC and get the nave unit. you should be good to go.
Old 09-14-18, 08:07 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

This car's GPS is useless anyways. Just download the Here We Go app and install offline maps for EU and it's free.
Old 09-14-18, 10:17 PM
kmh1230
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's not the end of the world without the GPS but it's for the principle of buying 'any' car with GPS and the manuf locking the software. I've contact Lexus via FB 3 times and they said they have given me their 'final word' - they won't do anything. We'll see....I don't give up that easily. thanks again