RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

folding side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 05:15 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

I feel ya. On two of my cars I don't have power folding mirrors. Everything else we have does though. I like the party trick..lol At the same time though a Lexus should have them by default. It's a luxury car, so it should be included. If my wife's NX has them and it was half the cost of my RCF there is something wrong with that picture to me.

Plus I always try and park away from people or protected on one side but still having the mirrors folded is nice so that nothing is sticking out further than it needs to be. As it sits now I'm the only RCF in the united states with power folding mirrors :-)

-Nigel
Old 06-30-22, 03:57 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish I had auto folding mirrors on my Kawasaki, I run into them in the garage all of the time.
The RC not having them, not an issue.
Old 08-04-22, 12:37 PM
Beefstews
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For us, the folding mirrors would help when entering our single car garage bay, as there are only a couple inches of clearance on each side.
Old 10-08-22, 09:39 AM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LongFella
Not a US spec, yet...
I recently purchased a 2022 RC 350 F Sport and it doesn't have the folding mirrors. My wife's RX 450h does so I was hoping my car had it also.
Old 11-05-22, 05:13 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I finally added power folding mirrors to my RCF. This can be done. I'll make a new thread and video/pics shortly.

Since our cars never came with auto folding mirrors in the states. They don't automictically open/close when you unlock/lock the car. That has to be coded to the car, so i'm in the process of figuring out if a EU country specific update would flash to our cars... But manually pushing the fold mirror button works flawlessly...

RCF Power Folding Mirrors

-Nigel
@nigel821 how much did all of this cost? Is there a diy guide somewhere?
Old 11-05-22, 12:57 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by SethP
@nigel821 how much did all of this cost? Is there a diy guide somewhere?
I need to seriously make a post both here and on FB. I keep getting questions all the time about it..lol
This is rough costs. It's an expensive mod.
Each mirror was $1,500. That might differ depending on how many options your car has.. IE: LDA, RCTA, BSM...etc.
Driver side window control switch - $500.
Shipping from overseas/insurance..etc. $500.
Taxes, Duties, Conversion rate from one currency to another...etc. $500.

All said and done I paid roughly $4,500 for everything.

There isn't a how to on the internet anywhere but it's easy. Remove door panels, unbolt mirror (3 bolts), Bolt on new mirror and plug into door harness. Plug in the window control switch and you now can push the fold button and the mirrors will fold in and out. Since this was never an option in the USA the auto button when depressed and lit doesn't do anything when you lock/unlock the car (normally this would fold/unfold the mirrors), It's coded to rest of world (ROW) vehicles. I am still trying to figure out a way to get it coded into the car but I don't know how fesible it is due to no US dealers being able to "add" other features from other countries to the car. I've personally checked techstream and I can see the option on the window control switch for the auto button, but I am pretty sure it needs to be coded to the main ECU/body control module somewhere...

I said from the very beginning I'd be the test person to see if this would even work. No one knew if it would or not. I kinda knew going in the auto function wouldn't work... But I was more fearful if pushing the fold but did nothing, it would have been an expensive mistake :-( Luckily though that wasn't the case. I don't mind pushing the mirror button to fold them honestly. I dont' need or want the mirrors to constantly fold when I lock/unlock the car if it's in my driveway/garage. I actually disabled this feature on our mercedes and have to manually push the button to fold them in. I much prefer that actually.

-Nigel
Old 11-08-22, 02:59 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I need to seriously make a post both here and on FB. I keep getting questions all the time about it..lol
This is rough costs. It's an expensive mod.
Each mirror was $1,500. That might differ depending on how many options your car has.. IE: LDA, RCTA, BSM...etc.
Driver side window control switch - $500.
Shipping from overseas/insurance..etc. $500.
Taxes, Duties, Conversion rate from one currency to another...etc. $500.

All said and done I paid roughly $4,500 for everything.

There isn't a how to on the internet anywhere but it's easy. Remove door panels, unbolt mirror (3 bolts), Bolt on new mirror and plug into door harness. Plug in the window control switch and you now can push the fold button and the mirrors will fold in and out. Since this was never an option in the USA the auto button when depressed and lit doesn't do anything when you lock/unlock the car (normally this would fold/unfold the mirrors), It's coded to rest of world (ROW) vehicles. I am still trying to figure out a way to get it coded into the car but I don't know how fesible it is due to no US dealers being able to "add" other features from other countries to the car. I've personally checked techstream and I can see the option on the window control switch for the auto button, but I am pretty sure it needs to be coded to the main ECU/body control module somewhere...

I said from the very beginning I'd be the test person to see if this would even work. No one knew if it would or not. I kinda knew going in the auto function wouldn't work... But I was more fearful if pushing the fold but did nothing, it would have been an expensive mistake :-( Luckily though that wasn't the case. I don't mind pushing the mirror button to fold them honestly. I dont' need or want the mirrors to constantly fold when I lock/unlock the car if it's in my driveway/garage. I actually disabled this feature on our mercedes and have to manually push the button to fold them in. I much prefer that actually.

-Nigel
$4,500 for power folding mirrors.. woah
Old 11-09-22, 02:56 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
$4,500 for power folding mirrors.. woah
Yep, it wasn't cheap, but I already knew this going in and I had already committed...lol. I've literately wanted this mod for two years, almost immediately when I bought the car back in 2020.
Gotta pay to play sometimes.

-Nigel