RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Rc350 screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 01:40 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Installed!

Will make a new thread with pics and review.

Sorry no DIY, plenty of DIY's for panel removal already. Install was easy, second time doing it
The following users liked this post:
baggedRC (05-02-20)
Old 05-02-20, 01:47 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Installed!

Sorry no DIY, plenty of DIY's for panel removal already. Install was easy, second time doing it
Can’t wait for thread!!!
Old 05-02-20, 03:05 PM
IIIusion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed!

Any chance to get information? Where have you bought it? Have you created another thread? Thank you
Old 05-03-20, 11:49 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by IIIusion
Any chance to get information? Where have you bought it? Have you created another thread? Thank you
Yes here it is

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-on-my-rc.html
Old 05-28-20, 05:03 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

As my warranty sticker was broken during install, I figured I had nothing to loose by taking the unit apart. I decided to tackle the cpu temp issue with hardware, as I’m sure any SW fix will just throttle the system to keep it cool. Tested before and after on a 83F day, Spotify playing, google maps running a route, and split screen with CPU-z for temp monitoring. Before: 92-96c after 10 minutes, and continued at that temp for the drive. After: 67-71c after a 30 min drive. I’m pretty happy with a +20c drop! The fan is only audible with the car off, which I don’t mind as there’s no monitoring to let me know it’s running. I hooked it up to the system's USB power, so it turns on and off automatically with the unit.

Last edited by rcJten; 05-28-20 at 05:10 PM.
pngo (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 06:02 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcJten
As my warranty sticker was broken during install, I figured I had nothing to loose by taking the unit apart. I decided to tackle the cpu temp issue with hardware, as I’m sure any SW fix will just throttle the system to keep it cool. Tested before and after on a 83F day, Spotify playing, google maps running a route, and split screen with CPU-z for temp monitoring. Before: 92-96c after 10 minutes, and continued at that temp for the drive. After: 67-71c after a 30 min drive. I’m pretty happy with a +20c drop! The fan is only audible with the car off, which I don’t mind as there’s no monitoring to let me know it’s running. I hooked it up to the system's USB power, so it turns on and off automatically with the unit.

Damn, I want to do that, but don't feel confident enough to do it lol.
Old 05-28-20, 08:11 PM
tnilc
Instructor

I just realized, I have everything I need to do this mod...I think I might try it.

Did you have to cut the back panel for the fan to fit, or did you cut it for air flow? Or both?
Old 05-29-20, 10:00 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I just realized, I have everything I need to do this mod...I think I might try it.

Did you have to cut the back panel for the fan to fit, or did you cut it for air flow? Or both?
Before you go down this rabbit hole, there's a few caveats you should know about.

1) The SOC IHS has a dip-down where I assume the CPU is. You will need to fill this area with something with high heat conductivity, to create a level surface for the cooling fins. The cooling fin unit I bought just so happens to come with a copper square that was almost a perfect fit.
2) Due to the size of the fins, I had to cut out the back metal portion. This also has the benefit of better air flow.
3) Due to the size of the cooling unit, the silver plastic that runs behind the screen was obstructing the unit from being able to clip into the dash. To resolve this I removed the silver plastic trim, and cut out the section where the fins are. This is 100% not seen when the screen is installed, and the section cut out had no clips. The plastic trim is now two separate pieces, and securely clipped back into the dash for both sides.

If you wanted to install some low profile passive cooling fins, you may avoid having to cut the dash trim and screen back plate, although this will surely limit the cooling capacity of the mod.

I ordered the cooler from Amazon for $12:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCMTZHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCMTZHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Processor dip-down with copper piece installed, and surfaced cleaned of stickers:

Dash trim cut away to make room for the cooling fins:

tnilc (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 10:31 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Before you go down this rabbit hole, there's a few caveats you should know about.

1) The SOC IHS has a dip-down where I assume the CPU is. You will need to fill this area with something with high heat conductivity, to create a level surface for the cooling fins. The cooling fin unit I bought just so happens to come with a copper square that was almost a perfect fit.
2) Due to the size of the fins, I had to cut out the back metal portion. This also has the benefit of better air flow.
3) Due to the size of the cooling unit, the silver plastic that runs behind the screen was obstructing the unit from being able to clip into the dash. To resolve this I removed the silver plastic trim, and cut out the section where the fins are. This is 100% not seen when the screen is installed, and the section cut out had no clips. The plastic trim is now two separate pieces, and securely clipped back into the dash for both sides.

If you wanted to install some low profile passive cooling fins, you may avoid having to cut the dash trim and screen back plate, although this will surely limit the cooling capacity of the mod.

I ordered the cooler from Amazon for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Processor dip-down with copper piece installed, and surfaced cleaned of stickers:

Dash trim cut away to make room for the cooling fins:
Dorhea Raspberry Pi Cooling Dual Fan Kit (2 Fans + Hestsink + Adhesive Tape) + 2 Pcs Heat Sinks for Raspberry Pi 3 B+
Amazon Amazon

I got this from a friend. I’m not sure if this is low enough to avoid cutting the trim but we’ll see.