RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Interior Carbon Fiber Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 09:55 AM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interior Carbon Fiber Wrap

Finished wrapping a few pieces of my interior in 3M 1080 Carbon Fiber Vinyl yesterday. I hate the F Sport silver "Carbon" so I covered that up as well as my shift **** had a slight scratch so that was wrapped as well. Cost me $40 total with about 2.5 hours of work.

The wrap has a matte look in darkness or cloud cover but really shines in the light. If you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask. I plan on doing a few more pieces in the future when I have a warm day.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProwlerRC:
Kyzrsosay (06-10-21), net4n6 (01-14-19), Pacific13 (01-15-19)
Old 01-13-19, 03:00 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

... looks great
The following 2 users liked this post by jonmonkey:
net4n6 (02-05-19), ProwlerRC (01-13-19)
Old 01-14-19, 07:54 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks good, I did the same for my center console and find it hard to ever go back to plain old black plastic. Great job!
The following users liked this post:
ProwlerRC (01-14-19)
Old 01-14-19, 01:37 PM
KJFS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well done!!!
ProwlerRC (01-14-19)
Old 01-27-19, 03:54 PM
Emae12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, that is awesome..looks good..
Old 01-28-19, 06:25 AM
Amiricle55
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it hard removing the pieces from the car? How do you remove them? Thank you
Old 01-28-19, 07:20 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Amiricle55
It is super easy. You can do it with a flat head screw driver or buy a panel removal kit for like $25 on amazon.
Old 02-04-19, 06:47 PM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amiricle55
hi! It was super easy actually! I bought this
Removal kit Removal kit
on Amazon, super cheap and good quality. Most of the pieces you gently pry off the corners and work your way from the front toward the rear of the car. Theres quite a few guides here on the forum if you search for them.
Old 02-05-19, 08:48 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

I did this just the other day except instead of the gear ****(which im curious how you did it btw) I did the glove box trim as well. The front corner of my door trim(the part facing the hood) started to warp and peel off the plastic after only a few days. Ive done interior wraps before using this same vinyl and no problems. Any suggestions? I used heat and squegees to get it perfect then it did this.
Old 02-05-19, 08:54 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pittsy
I did this just the other day except instead of the gear ****(which im curious how you did it btw) I did the glove box trim as well. The front corner of my door trim(the part facing the hood) started to warp and peel off the plastic after only a few days. Ive done interior wraps before using this same vinyl and no problems. Any suggestions? I used heat and squegees to get it perfect then it did this.
It might have needed more of a post heat.
Old 02-05-19, 09:01 AM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Jonmonkey, it may have just needed more heat and stretching, I always leave a little extra play for when the wrap shrinks back to the piece. I also cleaned the pieces I used with rubbing alcohol to make sure there wasn't any non-visible dirt or anything that could mess with the stick. The shiftknob was pretty hard to do, it took a lot of stretching to get the front portion, then I gently cut around the entire leather portion, leaving extra vinyl in-case it naturally shrunk and tucked it between the leather and plastic backing. The piece i used almost fully wrapped around the back but I actually had to cut a tiny piece and line it up to connect the two pieces of the back of it. The good part is, no one ever has the right angle to see the backside of the shift ****, so it looks great.
Old 02-05-19, 09:32 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
It might have needed more of a post heat.
Originally Posted by ProwlerRC
I agree with Jonmonkey, it may have just needed more heat and stretching, I always leave a little extra play for when the wrap shrinks back to the piece. I also cleaned the pieces I used with rubbing alcohol to make sure there wasn't any non-visible dirt or anything that could mess with the stick. The shiftknob was pretty hard to do, it took a lot of stretching to get the front portion, then I gently cut around the entire leather portion, leaving extra vinyl in-case it naturally shrunk and tucked it between the leather and plastic backing. The piece i used almost fully wrapped around the back but I actually had to cut a tiny piece and line it up to connect the two pieces of the back of it. The good part is, no one ever has the right angle to see the backside of the shift ****, so it looks great.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm gonna go buy some more vinyl, and i'm gonna buy enough to wrap my rear spoiler lip in it to. I think It'll be really cool. As for the shift ****, I dont think I'm good enough to wrap that to my liking, so ill probably just buy one from elvin or ebay or something.
Old 02-05-19, 10:28 AM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

That's what I'm thinking. I'm gonna go buy some more vinyl, and i'm gonna buy enough to wrap my rear spoiler lip in it to. I think It'll be really cool. As for the shift ****, I dont think I'm good enough to wrap that to my liking, so ill probably just buy one from elvin or ebay or something.
The shiftknob took a piece probably about 3 inches x 5 inches in total, and this was my first time wrapping anything at all. It just took a lot of slow stretching, pulling, and heat. Took like 30minutes to do on such a small piece.
louczar (02-06-19)
Old 07-01-20, 07:22 PM
C0011j
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched but have not really found anyone that has removed the silver door pieces to wrap. Anyone have any experience with these pieces?

Old 07-01-20, 07:34 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Originally Posted by C0011j
I searched but have not really found anyone that has removed the silver door pieces to wrap. Anyone have any experience with these pieces?

I have. Did the door pieces, center console and the glove box piece.