RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus Smart Card Key Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 01:39 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Lexus Smart Card Key Compatibility

There have been a few threads on the forum, more specifically in the 3IS subforum, but I want to clear up this issue for good. On my old 3IS, I had bought a smart Card key for my IS. Even though the website said it's ID and my car's VIN were incompatible, as well as the key fob and card FCC ID's being different, my dealer was able to program the key no problem. I still have that key, and went in to my local dealer to have the key reprogrammed for my RC. Now if im not mistaken there have been a few other members who have had no issues programming this key. For reference, my RC's FOB ID's are as follows: FCC- (HYQ14FBA), and IC- (1551A-14FBA). My card key, that worked on my IS, ID's are: FCC- (HYQ14CBB), and IC- (1551A-14CBB).
I brought my keys into the dealer to have them program the card while my 35k service was being done, and came back to a service report saying that the key was unable to be programmed because of vin incompatibility. I came back into the dealer a few weeks later to see if they could try programming it anyways, as some other members have done the same thing with success. My rep told me that they did actually try to program it, although to no success. Should I visit a different toyota or lexus dealer to have it programmed? Has anyone with an RC experienced this? Should I try to go to an independent key programmer to have it done?

Thanks again
Old 01-31-19, 07:55 PM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Now I could be wrong...but
I have heard that the current generation Lexus smart keys can only be programmed once at the dealer. They won't/can't program a previously programmed key or key card.
Now I have heard independent shops can reprogram previously programmed 1st gen Lexus smart keys (not counting the LS 430 as 1st gen), but I just haven't heard of them reprogramming the current 2nd gen.
When you bought the key card for your IS did you buy it new?

Last edited by gkcmilner; 02-01-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 09:30 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
Now I could be wrong...but
I have heard that the current generation Lexus smart keys can only be programmed once at the dealer. They won't/can't program a previously programmed key or key card.
Now I have heard independent shops can reprogram previously programmed 1st gen Lexus smart keys (not counting the LS 430 as 1st gen), but I just haven't heard of them reprogramming the current 2nd gen.
When you bought the key card for your IS did you buy it new?
Yes, I bought the key brand new, from the dealer actually. Service guy got me a deal on it with install. I guess ill go calling key shops locally and see what they can do.
Old 03-09-20, 05:04 PM
Jakielopez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any update on how it went? There's a listing for a smart key right now and I wanted to see if it was reprogrammable.
Old 03-10-20, 04:31 PM
Fithamoto
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Pittsy, I just bought my 2015 RC and it only had one key fob.... I found one exactly like my original one at...https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...exus-rc350.htm ... It was only $85.00 shipped.
And then I made sure the inside Chip board had the same numbers as my original fob....which it did. The I found out that some "Ace Hardware" stores can program your key fob for *** little as $50 bucks! SO I found one near me that would do it....even tho i had my own Key Fob. Make sure you tell them that you have your own Fob.... They usually want to sell you their own. But I got a cool guy that said he would do my car. HE only charged me like $18....So I gave him like $30 bucks for a tip!
So I basically got my Key Fob for about $130. Hopefully you can find a vendor to program it cheap. But I called a Locksmith and they were a minimum of $165 if you had your own.

Old 03-11-20, 08:09 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey Nebula,

For you RC, what you want can be found using the links below. I've never had issues with my key card ever:

You can find it on ebay or any lexus or lexuspartsnow which seems to be the best way to validate part numbers and vehicle fitment.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...er-set,,89904C

Keep in mind you will need to get the blank key separately that fits this slim key, not the regular fob:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...er-set,,69503E

My suggestion is that you buy it new and Lexus should be able to program it. I've shared more details on my buiild thread about not being able to get the physical key cut by Lexus but programming was never an issue. Additionally, you should keep in mind that the batteries for these keys are hard to come by (Only a few sources online and they always have problems with not having full charge from my experience so far.) That said, I'm picking up a replacement battery from the dealer today and hope I have better luck.
Old 03-17-20, 11:05 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by lexual_rc
Hey Nebula,

For you RC, what you want can be found using the links below. I've never had issues with my key card ever:

You can find it on ebay or any lexus or lexuspartsnow which seems to be the best way to validate part numbers and vehicle fitment.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...er-set,,89904C

Keep in mind you will need to get the blank key separately that fits this slim key, not the regular fob:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...er-set,,69503E

My suggestion is that you buy it new and Lexus should be able to program it. I've shared more details on my buiild thread about not being able to get the physical key cut by Lexus but programming was never an issue. Additionally, you should keep in mind that the batteries for these keys are hard to come by (Only a few sources online and they always have problems with not having full charge from my experience so far.) That said, I'm picking up a replacement battery from the dealer today and hope I have better luck.
Hey!

I actually solved this a while ago, shouldve updated here...

But, what I did is bought a new card key, and bought a 2 day service techstream subscription and programmed the key myself. Been using that and that key only for months now, no problems!
Old 10-31-20, 12:33 PM
ISTHICC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie here

Originally Posted by Pittsy
There have been a few threads on the forum, more specifically in the 3IS subforum, but I want to clear up this issue for good. On my old 3IS, I had bought a smart Card key for my IS. Even though the website said it's ID and my car's VIN were incompatible, as well as the key fob and card FCC ID's being different, my dealer was able to program the key no problem. I still have that key, and went in to my local dealer to have the key reprogrammed for my RC. Now if im not mistaken there have been a few other members who have had no issues programming this key. For reference, my RC's FOB ID's are as follows: FCC- (HYQ14FBA), and IC- (1551A-14FBA). My card key, that worked on my IS, ID's are: FCC- (HYQ14CBB), and IC- (1551A-14CBB).
I brought my keys into the dealer to have them program the card while my 35k service was being done, and came back to a service report saying that the key was unable to be programmed because of vin incompatibility. I came back into the dealer a few weeks later to see if they could try programming it anyways, as some other members have done the same thing with success. My rep told me that they did actually try to program it, although to no success. Should I visit a different toyota or lexus dealer to have it programmed? Has anyone with an RC experienced this? Should I try to go to an independent key programmer to have it done?

Thanks again
Sorry, new here. Have you tried programming it yourself. Techstream is really cheap online.
What I wanted to ask was, do you mind sharing the back info on the Smart key for your 3IS. I wanted to get one and I think Im suppose to get the HYQ14CBB version for my '14 is250. Thank you

**Edit** Sorry. I got confused with all the numbers where you already wrote what was on the back of your RC and IS. You assured me I'm going to buy the right one now. Thanks!

Last edited by ISTHICC; 10-31-20 at 12:36 PM. Reason: revision