RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

About to purchase my first Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 09:29 AM
Daniels927
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default About to purchase my first Lexus...

Hello everybody, new member here and about to purchase my first Lexus. Actuslly, I'm still shopping around and been researching between a 2016 IS350 F and a 2016 RC350 F both used. I've read thru the forums and watched YouTube videos on which is better and still undecided. Yes the IS is more practicale, better deals (dealer really wanted to get rid of it), and overall lighter = faster. The RC is more rarer, better looking (depending on who you ask) and more suitable for a childless man, I'm 37 btw. If I can get some wisdom and tips only a veteran Lexus owner would know, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again everybody.
Old 04-07-19, 09:43 AM
nelBi
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a 2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport and I've driven a couple of current generation IS350's, I ended up choosing the RC because I had no need for a sedan and I wanted a "different" car. I've seen hundreds of IS'es on the road but I can only count on two hands how many times I've seen a fellow RC, it definitely gets more looks and compliments if that interests you. The main difference between the IS and the RC I could find is the two extra doors + one extra seat and the fact that the RC uses a touch pad to access the infotainment while the IS has a mouse.
Old 04-07-19, 09:52 AM
Daniels927
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, after reading your reply, I'm really leaning towards a RC350 F. Really hit the nail on the head with those remarks, thanks again.
Old 04-07-19, 03:17 PM
BraunRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Underneath the RC shares the same rear suspension as the IS, but the front is GS-based and middle is the IS-C, which means the ride will probably be overall more refined and chassis stiffer when compared to an IS. Something you can probably get a feel for only if you test drove them back-to-back, but something to keep in mind since you're cross-shopping the two.
Old 04-07-19, 04:40 PM
S2KBobby
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At 37 you may not remain childless for ever and the RC realistically doesn't have a usable back seat. Sure you can get children back there but a car seat would be an exercise just getting it in and out. The RC is a coupe and with that comes limited rear quarter visibility. You'll need to learn to use your mirrors.
That being said, we bought the RC350 F Sport AWD simply because it was one of the few RELIABLE AWD coupes on the market. And it looks so sweet!
Old 04-08-19, 08:33 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nelBi
I own a 2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport and I've driven a couple of current generation IS350's, I ended up choosing the RC because I had no need for a sedan and I wanted a "different" car. I've seen hundreds of IS'es on the road but I can only count on two hands how many times I've seen a fellow RC, it definitely gets more looks and compliments if that interests you. The main difference between the IS and the RC I could find is the two extra doors + one extra seat and the fact that the RC uses a touch pad to access the infotainment while the IS has a mouse.
Thats a good point regarding which car is more rare on the road. I remember seeing that RC sales were super low last quarter and in general when compared to the IS model. That also stinks sometimes if aftermarket mods are something which interests you, because of the limited support.
It's true we RC owners have a back seat but it is really inconvenient to use....I hate having to put a person back there and cant even imagine using a baby seat.