Electric power steering adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 05:24 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Default Electric power steering adjustment

Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure I know the answer but just in case there is a hidden feature that I am not aware - Is there a way to deactivate the electric retractable steering wheel in the RC? I like have the electric adjustment rather than the manual adjustment however, I dislike that every time the car is turned on, or accessories are activated, the steering goes into its memory position automatically. I don't see the purpose of this feature other than to annoy me and prematurely wear out the motor....

So is there is a toggle or configuration that this can be turned off? In other words, I use the electric motor to set my steering wheel wheel but not having to retract and rest every single time...

Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-19, 10:07 PM
BraunRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of a way to stop it from doing this, but I will say that we had an original early 90s LS with this feature and 20 years and 200k miles and the steering wheel motor never even once stuttered. It is likely engineered for the multiple-times-a-day abuse of the average car owner. It would be nice to turn it off, but I wouldn't worry about its longevity.
Old 06-17-19, 12:51 AM
Jay hall
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure I know the answer but just in case there is a hidden feature that I am not aware - Is there a way to deactivate the electric retractable steering wheel in the RC? I like have the electric adjustment rather than the manual adjustment however, I dislike that every time the car is turned on, or accessories are activated, the steering goes into its memory position automatically. I don't see the purpose of this feature other than to annoy me and prematurely wear out the motor....

So is there is a toggle or configuration that this can be turned off? In other words, I use the electric motor to set my steering wheel wheel but not having to retract and rest every single time...

Thanks in advance

The Original intended purpose for the Auto Tilt Steering is to retract and give more room for the driver to easily exit and enter into the Vehicle. I too also can confirm you that the Steering motor will not wear out as i owned a IS350 2007 model with 180,000kms and i've never had any issue with it.

Now if you really want to stop the Auto-tilt steering. i saw this post on LX-3rd generation section. Hope this helps....

Originally Posted by neelnaik
Yes it is possible to disable the auto tilt/telescope steering wheel, as well as the easy access seat (driver's seat moves all the way back when vehicle is turned off) on vehicles that are so equipped. The first gen LS 400 had a button for this on the wheel itself. Later Lexus models, it is done through the car's computer. I think there is actually a couple models which is can be disabled through the navigation system, but I don't remember for sure. On all other models, this is part of the LPS settings (Lexus Personalized Settings). However, in order to change it, you need TIS (Toyota Technical Information System) Techstream. This is the software that the dealer uses, in conjunction with a USB to OBD-II adapter.

So, you have a couple options here. Option 1 is to take the car to the dealer and have them disable it. However, they will probably charge you 0.5 hours labor for it, so about $50. Another option, if you are a little tech savvy, is to google TIS Techstream. There are USB to OBD-II adapters out there being sold with questionable copies of TIS Techstream. The last time I looked they are about $25-$30. The third option is get a bluetooth OBD-II adapter (I don't how much they cost), and an app like Carista (they are a Club Lexus sponsor) and change the settings yourself via the app. I have no idea whether Carista will work with the LX or not (I don't why it wouldn't though). I would send them a message or give them a call or something and make sure it will work with your vehicle, and then go from there.
Old 06-17-19, 04:31 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Thanks to both of you for the response and information - It is nice to see that the longevity has been proven, and not sure why I even doubted Lexus' reliability on this given how solid everything they do....but it also a bit of the annoyance factor. Sometime, I am just sitting in the car briefly and I want to turn the accessory on and then the steering goes through its 'dancing motion' which can be a bit annoying.

I will speak to the dealer when I am in to see if they can de-activate that feature. I still want the ability to adjust my steering with the power feature when necessary but if I could disengage that 'auto-retract' feature, I would be happier

...and my apologies for the somewhat poorly worded subject line. I tried to correct after the fact but was not able to edit. I can see how some would think the thread is about the power steering rack rather than the steering wheel itself.
Old 06-17-19, 07:09 AM
tfischer

Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

These features are quite reliable. I had my last Lexus (SC) for 14 years, and never had an electrical problem of any sort with the steering wheel, the seat motors, the electric retracting top (12 motors) or even the little retracting door that covered the NAV screen.
Your concern seems excessive and a bit misplaced, and I'm wondering if, after you finally disconnect the electric steering wheel adjustment, will you look into disconnecting the electric window motors, and install reliable cranks? I didn't think so. For these kind of accessories, we pay what some call "a convenience tax," a surcharge that makes things easier for us (motors cost more than manual adjustment systems), but few complaints have been lodged in this area. When the outside rear-view mirrors got their electric motors, we all rejoiced, and gladly paid.
Old 06-17-19, 03:03 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I appreciate your comment and sarcastic humor, I don't get offended by it because god knows I have done my fair share of those to other members. That being said, like I mentioned that it is more than just the "wearing out" factor, I just find that feature annoying in general. I am a slim guy and I don't need the steering wheel to retract to get in and out of the car. I am more a "Ronco grill" kind of guy - "You set it and forget it!" (lol) Now if you have never seen that infomercial, you will have no clue of the joke I just made but seriously, I like a powered adjustable steering wheel, its the whole back and forth every single time that annoys me....
Old 06-17-19, 03:07 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

...and while I am on a rant of things I don't like as much with the RC, the new software that plays your USB music. In my IS350, I could select the folders and even when an artist would play, I would just put my cursor on the "box" where the album was displayed and it would allow me to see all the songs from the folder, then I could select that song and away it played. Not with the RC, I don't seem (at least I haven't figured out" to be able to show the various folders or the various songs in that specific folder. I can shuffle the various folders or the various songs withing the folder but I can't see to have the option of viewing the content of each folder or the whole list of folders available.....Now I have a 2019 so maybe things for the IS owners too but any of you knows a trick, I would appreciate it. I looked at the manual but I couldn't seem to find anything about it....
Old 06-17-19, 07:49 PM
tfischer

Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

WTHR: You are correct, of course.
I just love all gadgets, so turning off one of them is not something that comes naturally to me, but with all the menu items in all the settings for all the devices in the RC, I share your surprise that there is not a switch in there to disable the steering wheel retraction.
Myself, I'd like to know why the driver's seat does not move all the way back when the door is opened, but I want everything automated.
Still, the RC is a pretty neat car.
Old 06-17-19, 07:58 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
These features are quite reliable. I had my last Lexus (SC) for 14 years, and never had an electrical problem of any sort with the steering wheel, the seat motors, the electric retracting top (12 motors) or even the little retracting door that covered the NAV screen.
Your concern seems excessive and a bit misplaced, and I'm wondering if, after you finally disconnect the electric steering wheel adjustment, will you look into disconnecting the electric window motors, and install reliable cranks? I didn't think so. For these kind of accessories, we pay what some call "a convenience tax," a surcharge that makes things easier for us (motors cost more than manual adjustment systems), but few complaints have been lodged in this area. When the outside rear-view mirrors got their electric motors, we all rejoiced, and gladly paid.
I bolded ^
They may be reliable but they are heavy. All these electric motors they put in cars must jack up the weight, and with the RC, weight is an issue. Seats too - too many motors. Mirrors, headlights, trunk lids, soft-close doors. God, the weight. I'd like to compare today's seat weights with yesteryear's.
Old 06-17-19, 08:00 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
WTHR: You are correct, of course.
I just love all gadgets, so turning off one of them is not something that comes naturally to me, but with all the menu items in all the settings for all the devices in the RC, I share your surprise that there is not a switch in there to disable the steering wheel retraction.
Myself, I'd like to know why the driver's seat does not move all the way back when the door is opened, but I want everything automated.
Still, the RC is a pretty neat car.
I bolded ^
Not me. KISS. KISS and make it work right and last.

For me, "features" is like Satan.
Old 06-17-19, 08:02 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by wthrman2
...and while I am on a rant of things I don't like as much with the RC, the new software that plays your USB music. In my IS350, I could select the folders and even when an artist would play, I would just put my cursor on the "box" where the album was displayed and it would allow me to see all the songs from the folder, then I could select that song and away it played. Not with the RC, I don't seem (at least I haven't figured out" to be able to show the various folders or the various songs in that specific folder. I can shuffle the various folders or the various songs withing the folder but I can't see to have the option of viewing the content of each folder or the whole list of folders available.....Now I have a 2019 so maybe things for the IS owners too but any of you knows a trick, I would appreciate it. I looked at the manual but I couldn't seem to find anything about it....
Maybe you'd be happier with a desktop.