RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Brake Pad replacement only

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 09:24 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Brake Pad replacement only

Has anyone done this? I'm just at 40k and was just thinking of pad replacement for maintenance. I don't have any vibration at all and mostly city driving. Lexus doesn't offer pad change only as it's their policy.

I plan on replacing the rotor at 70-80k but just not now and there's always this pitch on spinning the rotors which I don't think I really need now.
Old 08-02-19, 03:54 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local shop just replaced my front pads and cut/surface my front rotors just yesterday. Cars got 33K miles and shop said that the rotors would probably last me until next brake change. Find yourself a reputable shop and get it done. They did warn me that there was a chance for brake noise to occur due to the surfacing but that didn't happen, granted I only drove the car from the shop to home which was like 5 miles.

I actually was recommended by dealer to do all rotors and pads, my shop said the rear pad/rotors still had plenty of life left (6mm on the pads) but fronts were metal to metal. Saved ~$1200 bucks from what the dealership was trying to get me to do.
Old 08-03-19, 10:19 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Look into replacing the pads with ceramic ones - much less brake dust on the wheels, and better stopping.
Old 08-03-19, 11:56 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Well, I bought the OEM already. Never really noticed a lot of brake for some reason.
Old 08-04-19, 09:57 AM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My OEM pads really showed how much brake dust was generated after I had put on aftermarket wheels. The finish on the aftermarket wheels and polished lips make it real apparent after a week or so of normal driving.
Old 08-04-19, 12:00 PM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed just the pads on my RC300 awd F-SPORT. The rotors were fine, I used CarQuest brand pads which are ceramic.
I also only got 25,000 miles out of my pads. When driven slightly aggressive this car eats pads and tires!
Old 08-05-19, 10:21 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Originally Posted by grandspt
I changed just the pads on my RC300 awd F-SPORT. The rotors were fine, I used CarQuest brand pads which are ceramic.
I also only got 25,000 miles out of my pads. When driven slightly aggressive this car eats pads and tires!
Did you change all 4 or just the front?
Old 08-06-19, 03:45 AM
grandspt
Driver

Originally Posted by happy1977
Did you change all 4 or just the front?
I changed all four pads (front and rear). My fronts were completely shot. But I was a bit shocked that all the backing plates front and rear (8 pads) were rotted. The actual metal fell apart in my hands!
I have owned the car since new and live in New England so it does get exposed to road salt. However that is no excuse, I have never owned a car that exhibited this and I have owned several cars of different makes and models. Poor quality OEM pads in my opinion, the stock pads always made squealing noises when cold ever since it was new.
Also I was not impressed with the crap Bridgestone tires. They had sidewall cracks on all four tires in just 18,000 miles. They still had plenty of tread. But I had to change them and my dealership did nothing to help me. I asked them to contact Bridgestone but they would not ,they said we can replace them and you will have to pay for new ones and that it is normal for a performance tire to crack!!
I told them these are not performance tires they are all season. I bought a set of Continentals and so far I am really happy with them.
The RC is a great car I really like it for an everyday driver. But it is way too heavy which seems to wear out components fast. My dealership service also sucks!
So I do all my own work on it and save money.
Old 08-06-19, 04:00 AM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some service writers are just that, writers...Some don’t know***** from shineola and some are just too lazy to try. You should’ve called Bridgestone yourself.
Old 08-06-19, 04:17 AM
grandspt
Driver

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Some service writers are just that, writers...Some don’t know***** from shineola and some are just too lazy to try. You should’ve called Bridgestone yourself.
I actually did, they referred back to my dealership. And it was at that point I said I'll just bite the bullet and by new tires.
Old 08-06-19, 04:55 AM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Note to self....Buy Michelin’s....I recently had my SIL go to a dealer for brake estimate, front only, they automatically said $450 for new pads and rotors. Local reputable shop turned the rotors as they had plenty of thickness left and put premium pads on for $137.00. This was a Ford Dealer, not Lexus but similar situation.
Something simple like brakes or tires shop around.
Old 08-06-19, 06:34 AM
grandspt
Driver

Note to self....Buy Michelin’s....I recently had my SIL go to a dealer for brake estimate, front only, they automatically said $450 for new pads and rotors. Local reputable shop turned the rotors as they had plenty of thickness left and put premium pads on for $137.00. This was a Ford Dealer, not Lexus but similar situation.
Something simple like brakes or tires shop around.
No need to shop around I did the brake job myself. I know it is done right!
And I like my Continental tires. Had them installed at a Sullivan tire store.
Cheaper than the dealer and a better tire than Bridgestone.
Old 08-06-19, 03:38 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

I try to do my own brakes if I have time and my arthritis isn’t acting up too bad. I like to do my own work on my Harley, my truck and my RX
Old 08-06-19, 03:43 PM
grandspt
Driver

I try to do my own brakes if I have time and my arthritis isn’t acting up too bad. I like to do my own work on my Harley, my truck and my RX
I know what you mean, I have been doing my own work on my cars for years. I have a 24 year old Corvette that I maintain and have modded but my back isn't always happy.
Old 08-07-19, 07:29 AM
happy1977
Instructor

I would like to do it myself but I don't have that time as work week kills me so I need the weekend to recharge. I'm shopping around now.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad replacement only