Spoiler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 05:32 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Spoiler Installation

Hello.

Dealership saying spoiler has to be drilled in. I thought it is tape on only. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Says spoiler is $299 and install is another $329. Can I just buy it and stick it on myself?
Old 12-02-19, 06:19 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Hello.

Dealership saying spoiler has to be drilled in. I thought it is tape on only. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Says spoiler is $299 and install is another $329. Can I just buy it and stick it on myself?
If you get one from Lexus it is a drill on spoiler, also the springs for the trunk itself have to be changed to account for the weight of the spoiler. Plus the one from Lexus probably comes pre-painted.

I went round and round about this for my wife's 2017 RC and wound up going the cheap route. $38 replica Chinese made spoiler bought off of eBay and had a friend paint it for free. It could have been drilled or taped, but I only used two sided 3m body mount tape to hold it on. All in all I am $60 in on a rear spoiler that looks factory, and had no adverse effects on our trunk opening and closing at it should. I didn't need to replace any springs or any of that. It won't be the way most people would tell you to go, but my wife wanted a spoiler, and I couldn't see spending ever $600.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2017FSport:
blackbond (12-13-22), FUZCO (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 07:55 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Will probably go with the OEM and just remove the bolts. Someone mentioned in a previous post that a heat gut and pliers will unattach the bolts as they are only glued on. Will a hair dryer work?
Old 12-03-19, 07:00 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

I bought an OEM style off ebay or Amazon and wrapped it in Avery matte black. I used double sided tape but that partially came off in the Texas heat. I ended up drilling my own holes and mounted it that way with no trouble. No spring changes needed.
Old 12-03-19, 07:13 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
If you get one from Lexus it is a drill on spoiler, also the springs for the trunk itself have to be changed to account for the weight of the spoiler. Plus the one from Lexus probably comes pre-painted.

I went round and round about this for my wife's 2017 RC and wound up going the cheap route. $38 replica Chinese made spoiler bought off of eBay and had a friend paint it for free. It could have been drilled or taped, but I only used two sided 3m body mount tape to hold it on. All in all I am $60 in on a rear spoiler that looks factory, and had no adverse effects on our trunk opening and closing at it should. I didn't need to replace any springs or any of that. It won't be the way most people would tell you to go, but my wife wanted a spoiler, and I couldn't see spending ever $600.
How long ago did you do this? I'm thinking about going this route but am worried about the adhesion of a spoiler this large. I have done tape for smaller lip spoilers, but none of this size.
Old 12-03-19, 07:17 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello.

if you search you will find a number of members on this forum who have DIYed the installation. So you could go oem without the labor cost. It looks relatively simple if you are bold enough to take a drill to your car! (Theres some tricks to minimize the risk, as shown in the diy's)
Old 12-03-19, 09:53 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I bought an OEM style off ebay or Amazon and wrapped it in Avery matte black. I used double sided tape but that partially came off in the Texas heat. I ended up drilling my own holes and mounted it that way with no trouble. No spring changes needed.
Did you use the supplied double sided tape that’s supposedly on the spoiler, or a different type? Also, did you use a heat gun to remove the bolts initially and then replace them at a later time? Thank you.
Old 12-03-19, 10:11 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

I’d rather not have to disassemble the trunk to install the bolts. The springs are fairly simple to replace only requiring removal of two fasteners on each side for access. Not even sure if it’s worth doing anyway.

Ironically, the full trunk open feature is unique to the RC, not the IS. I was kind of bummed when I traded my 2015 RC for an IS and noticed that the trunk only popped open slightly when the remote button is pushed, spoiler or none. After a few days I was over it.

Truthfully, the 2019 looks good either way. I’d just like to have the option of installing it without having to rely on the dealer to install. Here in Southern CA there are very few available with the spoiler. Apparently the ones with the spoiler don’t sell quick enough compared to the ones without. 🤔

Without:

With:

Old 12-03-19, 10:26 AM
RC350s
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

imo, the RC looks too good not to have a spoiler, OEM or aftermarket. It really finishes off the back
The following 2 users liked this post by RC350s:
blackbond (12-13-22), FUZCO (12-04-19)
Old 12-03-19, 10:43 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

I used the supplied double sided tape. I never removed any bolts.
Old 12-03-19, 11:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

I believe the OEM spoiler comes with a template to minimize any chance of drilling error.

Lou
Old 12-03-19, 04:20 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SethP
How long ago did you do this? I'm thinking about going this route but am worried about the adhesion of a spoiler this large. I have done tape for smaller lip spoilers, but none of this size.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...y-spoiler.html

This spoiler is not at all what I would call big or heavy by any means. If you use the appropriate tape and adhesion promoter before installing, there is no way it will come off. At least it has worked for us.
Old 12-04-19, 10:19 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Can anyone confirm how many bolts are on the spoiler and if they are easily removable? Thank you. Also found this option which is drill-less: https://www.darspoilers.com/products...nt=31758481540

Old 12-04-19, 10:45 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Can anyone confirm how many bolts are on the spoiler and if they are easily removable? Thank you. Also found this option which is drill-less: https://www.darspoilers.com/products...nt=31758481540
There are 4, why are you hell bent on removing them? They don't need to be removed to install with double sided tape.
Old 12-04-19, 10:49 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

The spoiler you linked is also for the gen 1 RC and might not fit the gen 2. It is also way more than you need to spend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2018-L...sAAOSwzRlaOXsL

I bought one similar to this and have had no issues and have had it installed for >1 year.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Installation