RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

CPO vs Extended Warranty Coverage Differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 08:38 AM
Sunman54
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CPO vs Extended Warranty Coverage Differences

Is the Lexus extended warranty the exact same coverage as the original bumper to bumper warranty? For that matter is the Lexus CPO warranty coverage also the same as the original warranty? Looking at a CPO 2015 RC 350 F-Sport (with VGRS) with 43k miles. I know there are pros/cons to purchasing an extended warranty. Since the car has 43k miles I'm thinking of it. The cost for (5) years after the CPO warranty expires is $3,575. If the car had lower mileage, I would pass on it. But if it's not 100% coverage then I may also pass. I have not seen the warranty details as some state that if the item/part is not listed in the coverage then its not covered. I tried to find the coverage details on Lexus.com but its not clear as to what is covered. Nor was the Lexus.com chat of any help as they referred me to their web page which was unclear to me for coverage. So if I went for it, I would have (7) years of coverage (but coverage for what). Thanks
Old 12-21-19, 06:04 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding is that the CPO warranty is basically an extension of the factory warranty. Aftermarket warranties tend not to be as comprehensive and often have deductibles.

That said, I just purchased a previously owned Lexus and opted to go without the warranty. The obvious question is whether you anticipate having more than $3k in warrantable repairs over the next two years... Given Lexus reliability and low cost of maintenance, it seems very unlikely. But it's insurance if you really need that peace of mind.

Borrowed this from the autotrader website, which reviewed the Lexus CPO warranty.

Overview

The Lexus certified pre-owned (CPO) warranty offers limited bumper-to-bumper coverage for 6 years and an unlimited mileage period starting from the vehicle's original purchase date. Roadside assistance, 2-years or 20,000 free scheduled maintenance and a complimentary loaner car are also included.

What We Like

Unlimited mileage before the six-year warranty expires, free factory recommended maintenance for 2-years or 20,000 miles, no deductible; generous complimentary service programs

What We Don't

Not transferable, warranty begins from the time the car first entered service, not the time you purchase or lease

Program Specifics

The L/Certified program is often considered one of the best in the business due to its long coverage term. As with other CPO plans, the Lexus warranty begins from the date the car entered service. The plan covers the car for two additional years past its original 4-year warranty with no deductible for repairs that fall within the warranty's coverage. However, unlike most other plans, Lexus' CPO offers unlimited mileage during that 6-year time frame, a definite bonus for those who pile on the miles.

An L/Certified car can be no older than 6 years and must have less than 70,000 miles. Each car must also go through a rigorous 161-point inspection before it can enter the program.

Other benefits of the Lexus warranty include roadside assistance, a complimentary loaner car when you're in for service and Trip Interruption service, which provides reimbursement for meals, a rental car and lodging for a maximum of three nights (up to $200 a night) if you find yourself stranded more than 100 miles from home. Lexus also provides rental car reimbursement for up to five days at $50 a day.

The only drawback? Unlike other CPO warranties, the Lexus's certified pre-owned warranty can't be transferred to a new owner, which limits your car's appeal if you sell it before the warranty expires.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (02-25-20)