RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RS-R down springs installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 01:40 PM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RS-R down springs installed

I know there is a lot of threads out there on installing lowering springs, but I thought I'd share some info if it'd help others. I'm also posting some before/after pics if that helps in down/super down decisions for others.

I installed the RS-R down springs a couple of days ago, used this DIY thread for the 3IS (thanks to CLUM for the detailed guide!) : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/772103-diy-3is-spring-installation-picture-intensive.html

Few points to note:
1. Front lower shock bolt and nut are both 19mm on the RC 350.
2. I used the A arm method in the guide. Ratcheting wrenches really help here but it was difficult for me. I believe the ball joint method maybe easier if you can get a ball joint puller, IMHO.
3. Top of the front springs were a little longer than stock springs, but I believe it will just settle in to a new groove in the hat once installed. I've not had any issues because of that.
4. Definitely get an alignment after install. I waited a couple of days for the springs to settle before I got the alignment done.
5. Load the suspension with a service jack before torquing down the bolts.

Ride is definitely a little harsher in normal and sport modes, but not so bad that it rattles your bones. Still very comfortable as a daily driver. Sport+ mode is where it's noticably stiffer, but still not uncomfortable. Car handles a lot better round corners and doesn't have that much dive/lift when braking/accelerating, compared to stock. Will have to see how it performs over time.

I got my springs from JM auto racing(jmautosports.com) Really fast shipping to TX. Got my springs within 2 days of ordering.

Before:

After:

Last edited by vvasudev; 02-14-20 at 03:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vvasudev:
BrianRC350 (05-04-22), LexusRC805 (09-03-22), wthrman2 (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 05:06 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Congrats and thanks for sharing!!! I know many people are exploring various options to deal with their front gap...I assume you had the RWD living in Texas as I don't see much AWD needed there

Keep us posted on how these perform with time - Some have posted great stories with their RS-Rs while others had some issues with them. I'll be closely monitoring your future updates. Did you go RS-R for a lower stance or stiffer ride over the OEM springs?

BTW - I love your lip spoiler - I may get one of those installed this summer to try and finish the rear of the car....If you have a good side view showing it, please don't hesitate to share
Old 02-15-20, 09:47 AM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Congrats and thanks for sharing!!! I know many people are exploring various options to deal with their front gap...I assume you had the RWD living in Texas as I don't see much AWD needed there

Keep us posted on how these perform with time - Some have posted great stories with their RS-Rs while others had some issues with them. I'll be closely monitoring your future updates. Did you go RS-R for a lower stance or stiffer ride over the OEM springs?

BTW - I love your lip spoiler - I may get one of those installed this summer to try and finish the rear of the car....If you have a good side view showing it, please don't hesitate to share
Thanks! Yup I have the RWD version. I just wanted a slightly stiffer suspension setup without affecting the stock shocks too much, and maybe a moderate drop in ride height compared to OEM. I didn't really bother too much about stance, but its a nice bonus with the ~1" drop all around.

​​​​I plan to get coilovers in the future so RS-R half downs seemed to make the most sense as a daily driver, without having to worry about curbs and scraping driveways.

I've not had any issues so far and will definitely keep posting updates.

Here are some pics of the rear spoiler, came with the car when I got it.

Last edited by vvasudev; 02-15-20 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 02:22 PM
Czr311
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I’m going with the same springs
Old 02-27-20, 08:01 PM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

So it's been a week since I installed the springs and they have settled in nicely. I don't have any squeaks/rubbing issues. I've driven the car in different conditions - highways, city, back roads etc and it's handled them all perfectly.

I feel like the car squats/lifts much less than what it used to on stock springs and I've not felt uncomfortable in any driving condition.

I really enjoyed driving on back roads near where I live, the car really seemed well planted (more than stock) especially in s+, and settled right down for a comfortable ride back home on the highway in normal mode. The car also felt a bit more confident taking corners when it was raining. I have added a Megan racing strut bar since the spring install, so maybe that helped a little.

All in all, for the price and a few hours of work, these springs are perfect for what I was looking for. We shall see how they hold up long term.

The following 2 users liked this post by vvasudev:
mistermatt (05-04-20), wthrman2 (02-28-20)
Old 02-27-20, 08:03 PM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Czr311
Thanks, I’m going with the same springs
Cool! Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-28-20, 05:56 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

OP - This is a great pic and I love the new stance of the RC I am also envious of the absence of that white "s h i t" in the background that we call snow here in Canada!!!
Old 02-28-20, 06:06 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by vvasudev
So it's been a week since I installed the springs and they have settled in nicely. I don't have any squeaks/rubbing issues. I've driven the car in different conditions - highways, city, back roads etc and it's handled them all perfectly.

I feel like the car squats/lifts much less than what it used to on stock springs and I've not felt uncomfortable in any driving condition.

I really enjoyed driving on back roads near where I live, the car really seemed well planted (more than stock) especially in s+, and settled right down for a comfortable ride back home on the highway in normal mode. The car also felt a bit more confident taking corners when it was raining. I have added a Megan racing strut bar since the spring install, so maybe that helped a little.

All in all, for the price and a few hours of work, these springs are perfect for what I was looking for. We shall see how they hold up long term.

That pic was taken in Roanoke....where do you live?
Old 02-28-20, 08:17 AM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

OP - This is a great pic and I love the new stance of the RC I am also envious of the absence of that white "s h i t" in the background that we call snow here in Canada!!!
Lol!! Gotta love Texas winters!!
Old 02-28-20, 08:19 AM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
That pic was taken in Roanoke....where do you live?
I live in McKinney. I was en route to TMS that day for the Xtreme Experience thing my wife got me as a gift
Old 02-28-20, 09:01 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

I live in McKinney. I was en route to TMS that day for the Xtreme Experience thing my wife got me as a gift
Gotcha....I live about a mile from TMS.
vvasudev (02-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 09:02 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

..for the Xtreme Experience thing my wife got me as a gift
Did you inadvertently leave 2 "X"s in your wife's gift? XXXtreme experience? (LOL)
Old 02-28-20, 09:10 AM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Did you inadvertently leave 2 "X"s in your wife's gift? XXXtreme experience? (LOL)
Lol! It was a Valentine's day gift. I'll leave it at that
wthrman2 (02-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 09:13 AM
vvasudev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
Gotcha....I live about a mile from TMS.
Cool! Only been there a few times, the area seems really nice.
Old 03-01-20, 07:18 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

RSR Downsprings on 20s

The following 2 users liked this post by tnilc:
Udoka007 (08-03-24), vvasudev (03-02-20)

Quick Reply: RS-R down springs installed