Headrest Rattle fix in 2015 RC350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 09:37 AM
RC350X
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headrest Rattle fix in 2015 RC350 F-Sport

Hi All,

Wanted to share the fix for something I encountered on my 2015 RC350 F-Sport, that was both an annoyance and a possible safety issue. I first noticed that the passenger side headrest began to rattle and the forward and backward ratcheting adjustment ceased to function. In addition one day a nut fell into the passenger seat so I tossed it in the console for a later date. Since I don't sit on the passenger side it never as a priority, then about a month later the Drivers side did the same thing. So now it was time to investigate and see what was going on. So if you have this issue try this. Try at your own risk, mileage may vary, and tip your waitstaff!

1. Remove the headrest, i did this by sliding the seat forward and then tilting the seat back towards the back of the car. Then depress the rings on the set to slide the headrest back and out.
2. With the headrest between my knees, and the posts facing up, use a panel pop to dislodge the three pops that hold the flap down between the 2 posts. Once the flaps are pulled back you will find one more holding the fabric on, so remove that one as well.

3. Gently work the fabric around the plastic and the foam of the headrest to remove it, it comes off toward the top of the headrest. Its pretty stretchy so its not too hard to do.

4. Once the fabric is off the next step is to free the foam. The foam is glued on to the front of the headrest. Gently pull the foam from the bottom of the headrest and remove it from the glue. This may tear the foam so be careful to try and remove it as close to the glue as possible.

5. This first pic is the nuts that have come loose that help hold the headrest on the posts(INSIDE THE RED CIRCLE). The plastic shell that surrounds the mechanism is now exposed, for some reason I did not take pics of how to get this apart. But from what I remember there are 2 bolts that are on the front of the headrest where you see the two empty holes at the top of the front piece of plastic(RED CIRCLES IN SECOND PIC). I think these come out and the back comes off. There may be some plastic pops as well.

6. The two bolts that are causing the issue that I saw were the ones that are the second set of bolts lower on the front plastic of the headrests(BLUE CIRCLES). The nuts that came loose are on the back of the metal plate on the inside of the headrest. What I did was i installed a lock washer on those bolts to insure that the nut will not come off again, you can see that in the second picture. Do that on both nuts and they should not come of again.

7. I then reversed the steps using thin layers of hot glue to hold the foam back on the headrest. Take your time and it will come out fine.

I believe all nuts and bolts were 10mm.

Thats it all fixed!!
The following 6 users liked this post by RC350X:
15RC350F (05-08-20), Arfboy (05-09-20), Coconut (08-30-22), Fithamoto (05-09-20), lawonga (06-19-24), sideswipe (05-07-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-24, 03:03 PM
lawonga
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC350X
Hi All,

Wanted to share the fix for something I encountered on my 2015 RC350 F-Sport, that was both an annoyance and a possible safety issue. I first noticed that the passenger side headrest began to rattle and the forward and backward ratcheting adjustment ceased to function. In addition one day a nut fell into the passenger seat so I tossed it in the console for a later date. Since I don't sit on the passenger side it never as a priority, then about a month later the Drivers side did the same thing. So now it was time to investigate and see what was going on. So if you have this issue try this. Try at your own risk, mileage may vary, and tip your waitstaff!

1. Remove the headrest, i did this by sliding the seat forward and then tilting the seat back towards the back of the car. Then depress the rings on the set to slide the headrest back and out.
2. With the headrest between my knees, and the posts facing up, use a panel pop to dislodge the three pops that hold the flap down between the 2 posts. Once the flaps are pulled back you will find one more holding the fabric on, so remove that one as well.

3. Gently work the fabric around the plastic and the foam of the headrest to remove it, it comes off toward the top of the headrest. Its pretty stretchy so its not too hard to do.

4. Once the fabric is off the next step is to free the foam. The foam is glued on to the front of the headrest. Gently pull the foam from the bottom of the headrest and remove it from the glue. This may tear the foam so be careful to try and remove it as close to the glue as possible.

5. This first pic is the nuts that have come loose that help hold the headrest on the posts(INSIDE THE RED CIRCLE). The plastic shell that surrounds the mechanism is now exposed, for some reason I did not take pics of how to get this apart. But from what I remember there are 2 bolts that are on the front of the headrest where you see the two empty holes at the top of the front piece of plastic(RED CIRCLES IN SECOND PIC). I think these come out and the back comes off. There may be some plastic pops as well.

6. The two bolts that are causing the issue that I saw were the ones that are the second set of bolts lower on the front plastic of the headrests(BLUE CIRCLES). The nuts that came loose are on the back of the metal plate on the inside of the headrest. What I did was i installed a lock washer on those bolts to insure that the nut will not come off again, you can see that in the second picture. Do that on both nuts and they should not come of again.

7. I then reversed the steps using thin layers of hot glue to hold the foam back on the headrest. Take your time and it will come out fine.

I believe all nuts and bolts were 10mm.

Thats it all fixed!!

Just did this myself, on a 2016 Lexus ES 350. Assembly is pretty much exacty the same, but with way more glue everywhere. I'm not even going to bother gluing it back together, just pulled out enough to reach the screws and called it a day