RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

2GR-FSE engine 5th cylinder scoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 07:42 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2GR-FSE engine 5th cylinder scoring

Anyone heard of 2GR-FSE engine having problems? Fifth cylinder wall scored constructed with cast aluminim sleeve making it impossible to bore to fix making the engine junk. This is made in the 2015- 2017 Rc model years. New designed 2GR-FKS engines from 2018 - 2020 have no such issues.
Some say engine should last 100 000 - 200 000 miles without cylinder wall being scored. Don't know if they mean city milage or highway with the engine failure.
Anyone heard about this issue with the 2GR-FSE engines

Looking at some Toyota's and Lexus RC 350 have tin sound coming from the engine could this be sign of piston scoring the 5th cylinder wall?

Better to look for 2018 model year to purchase with less troubles such as water pump replacement issues...
Not convinced 2GR-FSE engine is respectable with today's specs of modern high horsepower engines like b58. Power to weight of RC is heavy with under powered Horsepower and low end torque. Feel my Acura TL has same power to weight ratio then RC no upgrade that i can see.
Old 09-10-20, 04:12 AM
captaincap
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 104k currently and my car drives great. Diff fluid plugs were done at 100 and my oil is done every 5k miles with mobile one. I do all my own service.

my car pulls like any other rc and feels great.
Old 09-10-20, 05:04 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
Anyone heard of 2GR-FSE engine having problems? Fifth cylinder wall scored constructed with cast aluminim sleeve making it impossible to bore to fix making the engine junk. This is made in the 2015- 2017 Rc model years. New designed 2GR-FKS engines from 2018 - 2020 have no such issues.
Some say engine should last 100 000 - 200 000 miles without cylinder wall being scored. Don't know if they mean city milage or highway with the engine failure.

Looking at some Toyota's and Lexus RC 350 have tin sound coming from the engine could this be sign of piston scoring the 5th cylinder wall?

Better to look for 2018 model year to purchase with less troubles such as water pump replacement issues...
Not convinced 2GR-FSE engine is respectable with today's specs of modern high horsepower engines like b58. Power to weight of RC is heavy with under powered Horsepower and low end torque. Feel my Acura TL has same power to weight ratio then RC no upgrade that i can see.
Any supporting document or online articles claiming this issue? Are those failed engines modified or tuned? Pictures or video of a failed engine?

Old 09-10-20, 07:15 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Any supporting document or online articles claiming this issue? Are those failed engines modified or tuned? Pictures or video of a failed engine?
The 2GR-FSE engine features the overheating of the fifth cylinder. That is caused by the design flaw. The problem leads to high oil consumption at first and scratches appearance on cylinder wall later. If you read above, now you know the expensive end of that story.

The all GR family has a common problem with unreliable water pump and ignition coils. In some cases, they don't last longer than 30-50k miles, and that is very annoying. The 2GR-FE has longevity about 200,000 miles (300,000 km). The 2GR-FSE and 2GR-FKS engines are more technologically advanced, powerful, and fuel efficient but less reliable.

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine...0metal%20pipe.

Just by observation neighbours Camry some Lexus RC 350 who drive by on the street have strange engine sound. Not expert could be low oil or old oil in the engine or bad low octane gasoline. Not exhaust bad sound but to me sounds as engine noise on its last legs or cylinders in this case. Could be drivers of 2GR- FSE engines might not service them as many on the forum who bought them brand new. If they are burning oil losing it this might be reason cylinder can be damaged permanently. Otherwise like the article states advanced engine with some minor reliability issues take care of the water pump and check oil often doubt you will have problem. Again not expert or mechanic nothing is perfect with engines these days.
Even newer B58 engines have mysterious coolant loss often needs to be checked. It could be simple head gasket leak coolant gets burned by the heat of the engine. Only after high milage 100 000 plus effects in the engine can be inspected and noticed with damage it created over the years. Not enough for BMW to make a recall since the life expectancy warranty has expired. Not engine that could last long unlike some old past engines from other manufacturers.

Last edited by 50th; 09-10-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 07:31 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

The 2GR-FSE engine features the overheating of the fifth cylinder. That is caused by the design flaw. The problem leads to high oil consumption at first and scratches appearance on cylinder wall later. If you read above, now you know the expensive end of that story.

The all GR family has a common problem with unreliable water pump and ignition coils. In some cases, they don't last longer than 30-50k miles, and that is very annoying. The 2GR-FE has longevity about 200,000 miles (300,000 km). The 2GR-FSE and 2GR-FKS engines are more technologically advanced, powerful, and fuel efficient but less reliable.
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine...0metal%20pipe.
You mentioned "Better to look for 2018 model year to purchase with less troubles such as water pump replacement issues..." when clearly this site is claiming that "all GR family has a common problem with unreliable water pump and ignition coils"
Old 09-10-20, 07:45 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s3v3n
You mentioned "Better to look for 2018 model year to purchase with less troubles such as water pump replacement issues..." when clearly this site is claiming that "all GR family has a common problem with unreliable water pump and ignition coils"
Maybe true but new 2GR-FKS motor, engineers had to know the issues of previous engine FSE to fix any loose ends of reliability, knowing Toyota strict quality issues. Again i maybe wrong entirely so why update the engine from FSE to FKS unless its refresh with performance with no reliability updates doesn't make sense with japanese toyota mindset.. Can see with German brands sure to difficult or cost to fix so they leave it be as long they have no issues within the warranty time frame.

Different engine but same company 4 cylinder issues let the pro Toyota cheerleader explain.

Last edited by 50th; 09-10-20 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 07:52 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Maybe true but new 2GR-FKS engines had to know the issues of previous engine to fix it, knowing Toyota quality issues. Again i maybe wrong entirely so why update the engine from FSE to FKS unless its refresh with performance and reliability...?
First thing I heard about the cylinder wall issue and never seen it happened. I don't know where that site is getting all the information from. However, the water pump and the ignition coil(or starter) are widely known issue, then now the fuel pump recall.