RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Steering wheel vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 04:03 PM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration?

Recently mounted 4 Goodyear Eagle a/s and I’ve been feeling vibration in the steering wheel. It doesn’t sway the car either direction and I don’t feel any vibration in the cabin.

Ive had a road force balance today and was told that everything is normal.

Only thing to note would be that Lexus recently replaced my front passenger strut because it was leaking.

Could it be tbe tires causing vibration or can it be something wrong with the suspension? Thank you all

here is a video clip of the vibration: https://streamable.com/e2uqo6

Last edited by Fillay; 10-06-20 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 06:15 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

The only time I ever had steering wheel vibration like that it was due to the tires not being balanced properly. If this just showed up when you put new tires on the car, that would seem to be the cause (Occam's Razor). I solved my problem (many years ago) by having a dedicated wheel shop balance the tires; that is the kind of place that does it best. I'm at a loss to explain why a road force balance did not solve your problem, but tires are not my specialty.
(Upon reflection, I'm not sure I have a specialty, so this advice is provided to you at no charge.)
Old 10-06-20, 06:59 PM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
The only time I ever had steering wheel vibration like that it was due to the tires not being balanced properly. If this just showed up when you put new tires on the car, that would seem to be the cause (Occam's Razor). I solved my problem (many years ago) by having a dedicated wheel shop balance the tires; that is the kind of place that does it best. I'm at a loss to explain why a road force balance did not solve your problem, but tires are not my specialty.
(Upon reflection, I'm not sure I have a specialty, so this advice is provided to you at no charge.)
Yeah I had it mounted at one shop, and had the road force balance at another!

Could it be that the new strut replacement caused a misalignment? I’m not sure if an alignment is recommended after a strut replacement, although Lexus told me I did not need one when they did it.
Old 10-06-20, 07:47 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillay
Yeah I had it mounted at one shop, and had the road force balance at another!

Could it be that the new strut replacement caused a misalignment? I’m not sure if an alignment is recommended after a strut replacement, although Lexus told me I did not need one when they did it.
Yes anytime you replace suspension components or mount new tires you will need an alignment.
Old 10-07-20, 01:50 AM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillay
Recently mounted 4 Goodyear Eagle a/s and I’ve been feeling vibration in the steering wheel. It doesn’t sway the car either direction and I don’t feel any vibration in the cabin.

Ive had a road force balance today and was told that everything is normal.

Only thing to note would be that Lexus recently replaced my front passenger strut because it was leaking.

Could it be tbe tires causing vibration or can it be something wrong with the suspension? Thank you all

here is a video clip of the vibration: https://streamable.com/e2uqo6
Are the steering wheel vibrations speed specific like highway speeds? Bring it back. It's obvious sure your wheels (front) have to be RE-balanced. Happened to me, and this was the solution.
Old 10-07-20, 04:41 AM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLightning
Are the steering wheel vibrations speed specific like highway speeds? Bring it back. It's obvious sure your wheels (front) have to be RE-balanced. Happened to me, and this was the solution.
i notice it around 50 mph. I’m gonna call them up tomorrow to rebalance. Also going to get an alignment check. Really hoping it’s nothing with the suspension
Old 10-09-20, 04:35 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,688 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Fillay - An alignment issue should not cause a vibration problem. As others have pointed out, I am surprised a forced-balanced didn't solve the issue but the last time I had a vibration issue that I never could solve (not on my Lexus product), it was related to the Good Year tires - I dislike that brand with a passion. As soon as I swapped them for some yokohama's, the vibration stopped. I wouldn't be surprised the issue is the tire and so bad that even the forced-balance is unable to correct. I am not suggesting yokohama tires, but I feel you should have gone Michelin or something better than Good Year
Old 10-09-20, 04:38 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Fillay - An alignment issue should not cause a vibration problem. As others have pointed out, I am surprised a forced-balanced didn't solve the issue but the last time I had a vibration issue that I never could solve (not on my Lexus product), it was related to the Good Year tires - I dislike that brand with a passion. As soon as I swapped them for some yokohama's, the vibration stopped. I wouldn't be surprised the issue is the tire and so bad that even the forced-balance is unable to correct. I am not suggesting yokohama tires, but I feel you should have gone Michelin or something better than Good Year
Micheline is the one at to go on tires, smooth ride not noisy at all, only problem is tread wear.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (10-09-20)
Old 10-09-20, 04:55 PM
Fillay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2

update: So I went to another shop, and they pointed out that the hub centric spacers for my aftermarket rims were not installed on all 4. I did not have vibration before I installed the good years (I removed my michelin PS4S) so I am assuming that the tire shop misplaced my spacers. I went to the original shop who did the install and they said my car never had them.. but I never had any problems before... I was not going to argue with anybody so right
now my car is in the new shop waiting for hubcentrics