RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

How bulletproof are the RC350 and RC F models?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 03:25 PM
ClubClub
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How bulletproof are the RC350 and RC F models?

So far in my hunt for a very good luxury cruiser, I've found that the GS models are and excellent choice due to their bulletproof durability and longevity. Are there any widespread issues with the RC that I should know about? I would also like to consider the RC due to its performance and quite frankly superior looks. Tell me about the ride quality too if you own one as I would love to hear about it!
Old 10-14-20, 05:07 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

I can only share my experience with the IS compare to RC in terms of ride quality. The road noise on the IS was like driving a corolla or a camry - really hated it.

But this might be because my current RC comes with ML package - I heard that models comes with ML has Styrofoam installed around the car or at least on the footwell. This eliminates rattling and road noise. Another thing to point is the ride quality, RC is a heavy car for a coupe which has its advantage which falls on the luxury side.

Disadvantage that sometimes rubs me off, is the RC being a coupe. My daughter tags along with me on errands, and when the wife also wants to jumps in - I'm always the one has to get out of the car to give way for either of the two. But in return, I always get compliments where ever I go.
Old 10-14-20, 08:51 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

There are several versions of the RC, the RC 350, RC350 F Sport, RC F and the RC F Track Edition. They are all coupes with different suspension systems and seat configurations. V8's and V6's. The RC F and Track Edition are much more expensive, the stiffer ride and the seats are not made for bigger person. The RC 350 F Sport is probably the best ride in my opinion, Mine has been rock solid and is very comfortable for long rides. The drawback is it's a coupe and this car even though it has a rear seat is virtually useless especially if there is a passenger in the front seat. I don't think I've ever had anyone in the back seat. The trunk has a relatively narrow opening but is very spacious. The looks are killer IMO. Intend to keep it for a long time and yes I bought it new.
Old 10-15-20, 05:56 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Wife is 5'6. Backseat isn't great but it's relatively useable. Roofline not quite so raked so it's not bad, but obviously take a bigger car if doing a longer drive.
Old 10-15-20, 11:24 PM
ClubClub
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, but I would like to know more about long term reliability. Does anyone here have 75k+ miles they've put on their RC?
Old 10-16-20, 10:00 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubClub
Thanks for the responses, but I would like to know more about long term reliability. Does anyone here have 75k+ miles they've put on their RC?
I bought the car with 2,700 miles. Just passed 50k with zero issues. Knew someone with a modestly modded RCF with over 120k with no issues that I heard of. The reliability of these cars is second to none. Reliability will not be your issue if you buy one of these.
Old 10-16-20, 11:33 AM
ClubClub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I bought the car with 2,700 miles. Just passed 50k with zero issues. Knew someone with a modestly modded RCF with over 120k with no issues that I heard of. The reliability of these cars is second to none. Reliability will not be your issue if you buy one of these.
nice. i took a gander at the gs350 forum and asked the same question. to be honest, i think the rc350 might be a better buy for myself due to superior looks. id go for the gs350 if i change my mind due to superior comfort and ride quality.

by the way, how are the seats on the rc350? any complaints?
Old 10-16-20, 11:50 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Have 40,000 plus miles on my RCF. Ride is a not as cushy as a typical Lexus, but the RC-350, and RC-f sport, which I have also driven, do have better suspensions for long cruising. I like the stiffer RCF suspension because it's part of a sport car suspension which produces great handling, and it still ain't bad for long cruising, compared to non Lexus cars. Oh yea, the RC's are bullet proof! No rattles on mine after 6 years. It feels solid, and rides just like it came off the assembly line.
Old 10-16-20, 11:55 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

nice. i took a gander at the gs350 forum and asked the same question. to be honest, i think the rc350 might be a better buy for myself due to superior looks. id go for the gs350 if i change my mind due to superior comfort and ride quality.

by the way, how are the seats on the rc350? any complaints?
Honestly from a driver standpoint I doubt there is much difference between the RC and the GS as far as comfort and cockpit feel. I 95% use my wife's SUV if we are going somewhere as a family so if that is something you would do then go with the GS. I do have a forward facing car seat in my car and my son does love going for rides. I will add another whenever my daughter gets to the age where she can use a forward facing seat. The seats are good, only complaint is the side bolster is a little large and I find that I slide across it a lot when get in the car. I am not a big dude so do feel it is a nice fit.
Old 10-16-20, 02:40 PM
RC350s
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Ive owned both RC and RCF. They were rock solid and hassle free. The only issue I had was the nav screen coating peeling in my old 2015 RC350, but it was covered 100% under the Lexus service bulletin.
Old 10-17-20, 08:21 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Data is not the plural of anecdote.
Old 10-17-20, 09:29 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
Data is not the plural of anecdote.
Went into the Webster for that one..........
2015 RC here with just under 50K miles, 6 years old and not even a whimper.
My daily driver now as well, solid car. As was both of my ES's I had before.
My son has a 14, IS with over 100K, put a battery in last summer. Lexus=solid cars.
Old 10-19-20, 04:50 PM
tonka23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also looking to possibly get an RC350 and have been lurking forums for a while. All of what I have seen gives me no reason to think of any large repair or maintenance bills for owning a car in this class. Am I missing something? Does the RC350 really just get that much hate because it is a second slower 0-60 as other cars in this category?? Could care less about speed and always end up back at the RC350 as the most "responsible" fun car purchase in terms of overall ownership. Appreciate the comments and feedback you guys have shared.......
The following users liked this post:
KDiggity (02-06-21)
Old 10-19-20, 04:59 PM
AlpineGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wife has just under 60k on her RC350. Not 1 issure with it. I have a ISF with 91k(same engine block as the RCF/GSF/LC500) and the only thing that is an issue with that motor is the valley plate leaking. Ive started hearing of some of the gsf/rcf guys/gals having the issue. Other than that, you will easily be able to put 200,000+ miles on them. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get. If your looking for more performance, I would highly recommend the RCF.
Old 10-19-20, 05:04 PM
ClubClub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tonka23
Also looking to possibly get an RC350 and have been lurking forums for a while. All of what I have seen gives me no reason to think of any large repair or maintenance bills for owning a car in this class. Am I missing something? Does the RC350 really just get that much hate because it is a second slower 0-60 as other cars in this category?? Could care less about speed and always end up back at the RC350 as the most "responsible" fun car purchase in terms of overall ownership. Appreciate the comments and feedback you guys have shared.......
im in the market for a very good luxury sedan or coupe. after doing a lot of research, it seems like the sweet spot is around the 75k mark, give or take a few thousand. the bmw 540i is certainly on my list, and the lexus rc350 is on it too. out of all the choices, the rc350 will give fewest problems it appears, and i would like to keep the car for about 75k miles. mercedes e450 4matic is ridden with rattles and creaks and whatnot from what ive read on mbworld, and the panamera and lc500 are a bit too expensive for my taste. bmw m340i sedan is also a noteworthy contender on my list as well

wanted to also add that the dodge charger scat pack is also on the list. its 45k, but its a dodge so there will be some cosmetic defects that will surface at around the 4 year mark or so from what ive seen in youtube videos. if i could have some more confidence in the build quality and reliability of that car, and if it looked a bit better, i would probably just go for that instead

Last edited by ClubClub; 10-19-20 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: How bulletproof are the RC350 and RC F models?