RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

2015 RC350 - Fuel Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 02:16 PM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015 RC350 - Fuel Gauge Not Working

Hello all, I did a quick introductory search and couldn't find anything on this site, let alone the hours searching on google for this issue. The car has about 70k miles on it and the fuel gauge stopped working.

Oddly enough it didn't just BREAK. One day when the car had about 30 miles range remaining we filled it up and started driving. When I drove to work the next day I realized it said 20 miles left, which didn't make sense so I stopped and tried to fill up thinking maybe a crazy leak or something and it only took a few dollars of fuel. Eventually it said 0 miles remaining and continued to drive. So the gauge wasn't working, which sucked but okay I'll figure it out.

Nothing on google so I took it to my local shop and they had it for 2 weeks and ripped everything out and tested everything and said they couldn't find anything wrong and that I would have to take it to lexus. Thankfully they didn't charge me anything; but lexus was privy to just replacing the whole thing and the part was $1,700 alone (or so they said). I realized there is currently a recall on fuel pumps on RC's but lexus USA said my car isn't on that recall and my description sounds unlike the issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Preliminary testing tomorrow will consist of attaching a ODB2 reader and seeing if that can get the fuel gauge levels to potentially narrow down the issue to the driver cluster?
Old 11-14-20, 02:35 PM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What part is Lexus wanting to replace for $1700?
Old 11-14-20, 02:52 PM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

They told me they wanted to replace the whole fuel pump assembly.

Edit: They didn't even look at it, that was just an introductory phone call.

Last edited by Reached; 11-14-20 at 02:52 PM. Reason: edit
Old 11-15-20, 04:14 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

I think Toyota/Lexus expanded their recalls for the fuel pump issue. Check the below article.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2015-Lexus-RC+350/recalls/

May not be that credible but try searching online for more recall information about your vehicle.

I'd just bring it to Lexus again and tell them you are experiencing pump related issues (search online for the common pump issue symptoms). Worth a shot IMO.
Old 11-15-20, 12:20 PM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

@s3v3n - I appreciate it. I've googled all over - I also reached out to them in regards to the recent expansion and my vehicle is still not in the recall. Super frustrating.

Work things came up so I haven't been able to test the reader via OBD2 yet but I will report once done.
Old 11-16-20, 08:21 AM
RCMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the fuel gage working properly? Or is it on still E after you fill up? Just trying to understand if it's the fuel gage broken or if the "fuel left" mileage is incorrect.
Old 11-16-20, 08:22 AM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCMike
Is the fuel gage working properly? Or is it on still E after you fill up? Just trying to understand if it's the fuel gage broken or if the "fuel left" mileage is incorrect.
Yeah this is a great question. The "fuel left" mileage is always zero. Even after filing. 🤔🤔🤔 That question just made this more interesting. After work today I'll be checking via obd2 the fuel gauge reading.
Old 11-16-20, 08:38 AM
RCMike
Driver School Candidate

I guess what I'm asking is after a refill, the fuel gage in the instrument panel points to F but the fuel left says 0? Am I correct?
Old 11-16-20, 12:10 PM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

I guess what I'm asking is after a refill, the fuel gage in the instrument panel points to F but the fuel left says 0? Am I correct?
So I just went out and tried to see what info I could get from the OBD2. I also took a photo for you:

https://imgur.com/a/h59R6dy

It is not only showing the gauge at E but also telling me I need to refuel in the cluster.

I couldn't get any info from torque regarding any error codes OR any info about the actual fuel levels BUT I downloaded some random car scanner and it took ~5 minutes to scan and I received these 2 codes.

B1500 - Dashboard/Instrument Cluster #1

AND

C1AB6 - Blind Spot Monitor (probably unrelated)

edit1: going to continue my google search with this new info for B1500

Last edited by Reached; 11-16-20 at 12:11 PM. Reason: edit1
Old 11-16-20, 12:51 PM
RCMike
Driver School Candidate

Since the car still runs normally, it's safe to say the fuel pump is fine. The B1500 code is saying there's a problem with the fuel level sensor, which makes sense with what you're experiencing.

https://www.autocodes.com/b1500_toyota.html

Replacing the sensor is not difficult but you will need to pull the whole fuel pump assembly out.

Old 11-16-20, 12:55 PM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

Since the car still runs normally, it's safe to say the fuel pump is fine. The B1500 code is saying there's a problem with the fuel level sensor, which makes sense with what you're experiencing.

https://www.autocodes.com/b1500_toyota.html

Replacing the sensor is not difficult but you will need to pull the whole fuel pump assembly out.
Sounds awful. Might be a weekend warrior event or maybe back to the local shop with instructions to replace that. I will update with whatever happens. Thanks again!
Old 11-17-20, 11:08 AM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

So quick question. Would you recommend Lexus OEM for this or grabbing something from autozone/advanced Auto? If it is Lexus OEM is there a specific website that works or should I just hit up the local dealer? Thank you for your help, I know those are basic questions but I know some OEMs that have worse quality then aftermarket and I'm not privy to Lexus yet.
Old 12-13-20, 01:17 AM
kaianjudah
Driver School Candidate

s it on still E after you fill up? Just trying to understand Nox VLC if it's the fuel gage broken or if the "fuel left" mileage is incorrect.
Old 12-13-20, 01:31 AM
Reached
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kaianjudah
s it on still E after you fill up? Just trying to understand Nox VLC if it's the fuel gage broken or if the "fuel left" mileage is incorrect.
It's both on E and showing 0 miles left. Going off of the B1500 code I'm going to guess I have to replace the part aforementioned before. Unless you have any other ideas.

I haven't been able to get the replacement part as I've been super busy with work. Otherwise I'll update once anything has been worked on..