RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 01:33 PM
BadDog240Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RC 350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD?

I live in the snow belt, but have no problem driving RWD cars in the snow, I've owned many. Granted there were mostly manual transmission cars, but I just invest in a good set of snow tires and am only limited by ground clearance. I'm looking at ordering a car soon in order to get the options I want, because Lexus dealers in my area don't really get allocated any RWD cars.

I'm not finding much opinion in these forums regarding the LSD or variable-ratio/rear steering that is only available on RWD here in the US. I *have* heard/read other sources that say that AWD numbs the steering feel. Some reviews love the variable steering, others say it dampens/lacks feel and feedback. I know this is more of a GT than a sports car, but I would still like to enjoy occasional spirited driving on back roads along with comfy DD/highway driving. I have a 240Z for when I need that ultimate man-machine connection ;-)

So, I'm looking for opinions from folks who (hopefully) have driven or owned the different configurations.

The way I see it:
  • RWD
    • Pros
      • 8-speed transmission
        • responsiveness
      • LSD
        • not in the track-day sense, just in the sporty driving and cornering sense
      • available rear-wheel steering (if its worth it)
      • better steering feel
      • no front wheel arch gap issue
    • Cons
      • 4 months wait or more to order
      • lower resale value in my area for typical buyer
  • AWD
    • Pros
      • AWD + snow tires = BEAST in the snow (per Straight Pipes on YouTube ;-) )
      • Might be able to get or redirect an allocated car sooner than a factory order
    • Cons
      • steering feel
      • hump
      • 6-speed transmission
        • less responsive?
I guess I just don't want to regret settling for AWD if the RWD is markedly more enjoyable to drive. I don't think I'd regret not having AWD. I've owned many AWD, RWD, and FWD cars (FWD is by far the worst in the snow IMHO). I probably wouldn't mind the AWD version if not for the cons listed above, because the AWD would make up a little for the lack of LSD when exiting corners, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-21, 06:50 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

I've driven lots of RWD cars, and lots of FRD cars (Audis and Hondas, mostly), and several AWD cars (RX and RC). I say: Get the AWD.
This is my first Lexus Sedan with AWD, and I can't tell that there is any difference with respect to steering; it is my understanding that the car operates usually in RWD, and puts itself into AWD when it detects that the wheels are slipping (I think the RX was FWD usually unless AWD is needed).
Driving a RWD drive car in the snow is a bad bet. I've done it a lot, before AWD and even FWD became available, and I'll not be getting any more cars without AWD, even though we don't get near as much snow here in southern Ohio as you do in New York.
Old 01-07-21, 09:07 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Anything above 5th gear is essentially just about overdrive and getting to top end without over reving. My RX and RC are AWD and would not have it any other way.
Old 01-08-21, 07:59 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

My AWD 350 has a six speed transmission; the RWD versions have, I believe, 8. If you are going to shift manually, which can be fun sometimes, six is a lot and 8 is way too much trouble (of course, I learned on a three speed VW bug and a Plymouth station wagon with the shift lever on the steering column - that's how old I am). The 8 speed is probably a little smoother in fully automatic mode, but I'm not sure. I imagine the trend to so many speeds today is for the overdrive which would increase MPG on the highway.
Old 01-08-21, 02:32 PM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Toronto. My rc350 AWD with Michelin X-Ice 3 is an absolute beast in the snow. I clear the path for trucks & buses driving behind me 😝

Just because of how bad the winters are, I definitely prefer my AWD. It’s not any less fun or any less responsive in the summer driving with my Bridgestone Potenzas. Plus, the AWD transmission is primarily a RWD bias anyway. So still feels like a RWD car most of the time (I’ve even gotten it sideways a few times in the summer without turning off traction control).
Old 01-09-21, 06:51 AM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Massachusetts and the AWD RC300 350 works well in slippery weather. My RC300 AWD is better than my older Acura TSX and Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ever were in the slippery weather. Those SUVs had ground clearance but were not as good as my RC300 AWD when taking turns or during braking (although the TSX was better than the Jeep).
As far as the AWD system the Lexus sends most of the power through the rear differential until it detects slip and then increases the power to the front differential. So the RC handles like a rear wheel drive car, Not a front wheel drive car.
Is it as fun as the RC350 rear wheel drive only car? Probably not but like me you have another toy for that.
The following users liked this post:
BadDog240Z (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 08:12 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't have much (hardly ever) snow in these parts. But, my AWD RC is great in those southern downpours of rain we have.
Running along at speed in a "frog strangler" rain storm, she stays right there. As far as the performance over the rear drive
in real world applications, not an issue. All of that 0-60 stuff is mainly for sales pitch and so on. If you really get down to the real
world, where does that come into play with a daily driver anyway. If you're so wrapped up in speed and quick, you're looking
at the wrong car. If you want reliability, comfort, great sound system, and other things, my RC gets it done. Plus you hardly
ever see them. The reason why Lexus doesn't sell a ton of these every year is because they're not for everybody. Not a
cookie cutter car either. The main reason I got an AWD is I was having trouble finding a rear drive with all of the options I was
looking for. I got mine used, at a decent price, service record and a great warranty. I hope to have a long relationship as well.
Not the first Lexus I've owned, I've had a bunch, but my favorite so far. Like I said, not for everybody.
BadDog240Z (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 05:02 PM
BadDog240Z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
My AWD 350 has a six speed transmission; the RWD versions have, I believe, 8. If you are going to shift manually, which can be fun sometimes, six is a lot and 8 is way too much trouble (of course, I learned on a three speed VW bug and a Plymouth station wagon with the shift lever on the steering column - that's how old I am). The 8 speed is probably a little smoother in fully automatic mode, but I'm not sure. I imagine the trend to so many speeds today is for the overdrive which would increase MPG on the highway.
Well, I mentioned the transmission difference because reviews talk about the "ancient" 6-speed versus the quicker-shifting 8-speed. OTOH, it sounds like you are all happy with the performance of the 6-speed...
Old 01-09-21, 05:05 PM
BadDog240Z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mistermatt
I live in Toronto. My rc350 AWD with Michelin X-Ice 3 is an absolute beast in the snow. I clear the path for trucks & buses driving behind me 😝

Just because of how bad the winters are, I definitely prefer my AWD. It’s not any less fun or any less responsive in the summer driving with my Bridgestone Potenzas. Plus, the AWD transmission is primarily a RWD bias anyway. So still feels like a RWD car most of the time (I’ve even gotten it sideways a few times in the summer without turning off traction control).
I run those same winter tires on my V6 manual Camaro. They are fantastic.
I like hearing that it feels like a RWD most of the time, that's the feel I like. I also like that you can get a little sideways ;-)
mistermatt (01-10-21)
Old 01-09-21, 05:07 PM
BadDog240Z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sargon
AWD:
heavier = slower
higher drivetrain loss reduces mileage and power
extra 100 moving parts + lubricant
less ground clearance
many extra hours @ $150 each for driveline service

I don't have to drive in deep snow - so I don't.
So do you have RWD RC?
Old 01-10-21, 06:14 PM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in NJ and see our cars dying on the vine in the resale market, if you're in a snow area when it comes time to offload it in RWD I'd plan to eat it on resale value. My wife had an '08 IS350, car was near perfect with two owners and the first thing everyone asked was is it AWD, it went to a dealer as a trade for about $3g under trade in value. The Lexus dealer we tried to trade it to first gave us a laughable figure and said it would go straight to wholesale since they cant off load RWD cars.

Just food for thought.
mistermatt (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 07:14 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Wasn't aware that a RC 350 F Sport was an off road car. The only reason resales are not doing well have something to do with people driving less. Don't know why???
Old 01-10-21, 09:13 PM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Wasn't aware that a RC 350 F Sport was an off road car. The only reason resales are not doing well have something to do with people driving less. Don't know why???
There are plenty AWD sports cars. Doesn’t mean it’s an off-roading vehicle if it’s AWD. For example, Nissan GTR, Audi R8, all the Subarus.

(Also... resales / used car sales are booming because of the pandemic. NEW car sales have suffered).

Last edited by mistermatt; 01-10-21 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 01:50 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Should have been precise in my post. The RC is not an off road vehicle either as a RWD or AWD car. There are several Subaru's that I would not have a problem going off road with.
mistermatt (01-12-21)
Old 01-12-21, 06:30 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
with 8 gears, you will not be shifting manually past 5th or 6th in street driving anyway. You can’t even go manually into 8th below 50 mph (althought in automode it will go to 8th even at 40mph).
One big plus for me in AA81E is that it shifts much quicker especially with more than 50% throttle.

Quick Reply: RC 350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD?