RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Keep my '15 RC350 or trade for '17 RC300 F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 04:19 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep my '15 RC350 or trade for '17 RC300 F-Sport?

Hi everyone...the title pretty much sums up my question....but just thought I'd ask for some opinions.

A little background...I purchased my first Lexus a couple years ago, bought a pre-owned '15 RC 350 AWD base (w/Navigation & sunroof), silver lining metallic w/black interior It had 34k miles on it. Two years later and now has 39k miles on it. It's stock, no mods...just regular maintenance performed which includes oil changes, new battery and a new set of tires(Michelin Pilot Sport) . Body is in nice condition with just a few minor scratches at best. Interior is in great shape. One rim needs to be refinished due to clearcoat cracking.
I luv my car and enjoy driving it...due to short commute to work it doesn't see many miles except on weekends.

Recently I began looking at F-Sport versions of my car (looking mostly at pre-owned) and came across a '17 RC 300 AWD F-Sport (w/navigation, sunroof & rear spolier) in Caviar w/red interior. Body is in excellent condition and has 57k miles on it, good maintenance records, tires are 65-75% new (Bridgestone Turanza). Asking $29k.
The best that this Lexus dealership offered offered me for trade-in of my car was $23,500 ....so all said and done I'd be roughly $6k out of my pocket to purchase the other one.

I test drove it and did notice the slight power decrease compared to my 350. It did feel stiffer due to the F-Sport package, which I liked.

I'm thinking there must be at least a few people on here who may have gone through a similar dilemma...possibly? lol

Sooo...
Do you think it's worth it? (and if so, why?)
or
Just keep my RC 350?

I also wanted to add that I'm planning to move to Florida in the upcoming months...the difference I see down there is mostly RWD versions which I know have the 8-speed vs the AWD w/6 speed. Would I benefit from the RWD instead and wait til I move to Florida?

Thanks guys

Last edited by runninlow3; 02-09-21 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 03:35 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

2017 model seems to be the bulletproof model (no recalls whatsoever). But also good to consider to go with the later models if you need Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Old 02-10-21, 12:47 AM
NewRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove the RWD RC 300 F Sport (2019) for 3 months before getting a RWD RC 350 F Sport (2019). The power difference is quite significant in my opinion. The turbo lag in the RWD RC 300 was quite evident. I am not sure how much difference going from the 350 V6 to the 300 V6 would be, but it is an NA engine and you would not have to deal with lag.

Having said that, the only advantage I am aware of that this 2017 would have for you is the F Sport package. If you are looking for Apple Car Play, you will only find it in 2019 and later models (2020 for android auto). I do enjoy having the F Sport suspension and Sport + driving mode. It works brilliantly with the the 350's engine especially in manual mode (for me).

What is your driving preference? Spirited or calm cruiser? Somewhere in between? Maybe you could go to a dealer near you and test drive an F Sport 350 and compare it to your car and the AWD F Sport 300. That may be the best way to know your handling preference with respect to this car.

Meanwhile, I am impressed by the value of your car. Its 6 years old! Have you compared the dealerships offer to Carvana, Carmax, Vroom or any of the new Car-buying startups? Just in case you could get even more for it.
Old 02-10-21, 04:09 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
2017 model seems to be the bulletproof model (no recalls whatsoever). But also good to consider to go with the later models if you need Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
The few recalls that my car had were already taken care of, which is good. If I've gone this long without Apple CarPlay, I think I'd be ok without it for a another few years...but who knows lol.
Overall, I have read on these forums that these cars tend to be 'bulletproof' for the most part.

Originally Posted by NewRC
I drove the RWD RC 300 F Sport (2019) for 3 months before getting a RWD RC 350 F Sport (2019). The power difference is quite significant in my opinion. The turbo lag in the RWD RC 300 was quite evident. I am not sure how much difference going from the 350 V6 to the 300 V6 would be, but it is an NA engine and you would not have to deal with lag.

Having said that, the only advantage I am aware of that this 2017 would have for you is the F Sport package. If you are looking for Apple Car Play, you will only find it in 2019 and later models (2020 for android auto). I do enjoy having the F Sport suspension and Sport + driving mode. It works brilliantly with the the 350's engine especially in manual mode (for me).

What is your driving preference? Spirited or calm cruiser? Somewhere in between? Maybe you could go to a dealer near you and test drive an F Sport 350 and compare it to your car and the AWD F Sport 300. That may be the best way to know your handling preference with respect to this car.

Meanwhile, I am impressed by the value of your car. Its 6 years old! Have you compared the dealerships offer to Carvana, Carmax, Vroom or any of the new Car-buying startups? Just in case you could get even more for it.
I have no experience with the turbo 4cyl version of this model...but as you said, there's some turbo lag. I have driven an NX 300 which is the 4 cyl turbo and experienced a little of that but didn't bother me that much...plus totally difference type of vehicle.

I'm mostly a spirited driver...but calm cruiser only sometimes. I do like the power of my 350. Unfortunately, there aren't any RWD versions in this area so I'd have to wait til I get to Florida to test drive one of those models.
If it was for aesthetic purposes then I could just get an F-Sport grille which would be nice too.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect with trade-in value...KBB said $26-27k but maybe with he minor accident that my vehicle had in the past with previous owner, has affected the number. It was just a rear bumper tap but once it shows up on CarFax then vehicle will be affected in value. I haven't tried CarMax or any other...I can do that and see what numbers they come back with.
Old 02-10-21, 07:17 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by runninlow3
The few recalls that my car had were already taken care of, which is good. If I've gone this long without Apple CarPlay, I think I'd be ok without it for a another few years...but who knows lol.
Overall, I have read on these forums that these cars tend to be 'bulletproof' for the most part.

I have no experience with the turbo 4cyl version of this model...but as you said, there's some turbo lag. I have driven an NX 300 which is the 4 cyl turbo and experienced a little of that but didn't bother me that much...plus totally difference type of vehicle.

I'm mostly a spirited driver...but calm cruiser only sometimes. I do like the power of my 350. Unfortunately, there aren't any RWD versions in this area so I'd have to wait til I get to Florida to test drive one of those models.
If it was for aesthetic purposes then I could just get an F-Sport grille which would be nice too.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect with trade-in value...KBB said $26-27k but maybe with he minor accident that my vehicle had in the past with previous owner, has affected the number. It was just a rear bumper tap but once it shows up on CarFax then vehicle will be affected in value. I haven't tried CarMax or any other...I can do that and see what numbers they come back with.

Also worth reiterating was between the 300 and 350 horsepower. And let's exclude the turbo model.

The power between the 300 and 350 NA models are also noticeable. I came from IS300 and test drove the RC350 which I ended up buying - and yes, I can tell there is a noticeable difference. The IS300 I had was already tuned(RR-racing), with PPE headers installed. Still noticed the difference in power.

Old 02-10-21, 09:40 AM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my honest opinion: my 2015 RC350 fsport AWD already feels “slow”. Granted, it’s a luxury GT cruiser and it’s not meant to be a true bred sports car.

But I would not recommend going from a 350 -> 300 just for the Fsport package. Especially if your driving style is mostly spirited.

I would wait longer. Since you already know your current RC350 has good resale (and has already depreciated most of its value already), it might be worth holding on to and waiting a bit longer. Look for a newer RC350 with Fsport package for sure! If you can get it down in Florida with RWD and 8 speed tranny, even better.
Old 02-11-21, 04:38 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Also worth reiterating was between the 300 and 350 horsepower. And let's exclude the turbo model.

The power between the 300 and 350 NA models are also noticeable. I came from IS300 and test drove the RC350 which I ended up buying - and yes, I can tell there is a noticeable difference. The IS300 I had was already tuned(RR-racing), with PPE headers installed. Still noticed the difference in power.
I had thought about if I purchased a 300 model and then RR Tuning would bring it up to the power of a 350...but good to know that you still had a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by mistermatt
Just my honest opinion: my 2015 RC350 fsport AWD already feels “slow”. Granted, it’s a luxury GT cruiser and it’s not meant to be a true bred sports car.
But I would not recommend going from a 350 -> 300 just for the Fsport package. Especially if your driving style is mostly spirited.
I would wait longer. Since you already know your current RC350 has good resale (and has already depreciated most of its value already), it might be worth holding on to and waiting a bit longer. Look for a newer RC350 with Fsport package for sure! If you can get it down in Florida with RWD and 8 speed tranny, even better.
I do feel as if I were to get a 300 that I'd be 'settling' on it just to have an F-Sport trim...and yeah, part of me thinks that keeping it for now, drive it to Florida and just wait til the right 350 F-Sport combo pops up in a search. I know it can be a while to wait especially when you're shopping pre-owned. And yes, a RWD version could be nice!

If I do keep my current RC 350, wondering if I should get the one rim refinished (has minor clear coat issues due to previous owner having it refinished) or just leave it as is being that I'll eventually purchase a newer RC.
Old 02-28-21, 12:44 PM
LovinLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just some numbers to help shape your fiscal input: just bought my 2015 350 F Sport with 33,600 miles for $29900 from Carvana. I know you mentioned you found/looking at the 300, and is 2 years younger. But that mileage is a tad on the high side of the average 15,000 annual driver. I haven’t checked KBB for value, but from a financial standpoint I would think it’s a fair deal.
Old 03-01-21, 08:55 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to purchase 2017 Lexus rc 300 f-sport package while the 305 HP is important can't find rc 350 F-sport in colour as the rc 300. Thought about RR racing tune but seen video of someone tuning there rc 350 and had misfire codes dealer told him to return everything to stock even did the headers back to OEM. ECU tunes up 2017 model years are available but how reliable are they and what is the real Wheel HP and torque figures you can get?
Old 03-02-21, 04:35 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Originally Posted by LovinLexi
Just some numbers to help shape your fiscal input: just bought my 2015 350 F Sport with 33,600 miles for $29900 from Carvana. I know you mentioned you found/looking at the 300, and is 2 years younger. But that mileage is a tad on the high side of the average 15,000 annual driver. I haven’t checked KBB for value, but from a financial standpoint I would think it’s a fair deal.
Thanks for the info!
As of right now, I'll keep my '15 RC 350 until I move to Florida within the next month, and then begin the search down there.
Congrats and good luck with your RC 350 F-Sport...hope you had a good experience with Carvana!
Old 03-02-21, 01:57 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget to factor in fees and taxes which could be additional 3-5k depending on where you are at.

Personally, I wouldnt made the trade to something barely 2 years newer and especially with higher mileage just for the f sport and for lower engine
Old 03-02-21, 05:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by NewRC
I drove the RWD RC 300 F Sport (2019) for 3 months before getting a RWD RC 350 F Sport (2019). The power difference is quite significant in my opinion.
Lexus makes this confusing - But in a nutshell - The engines in an RC300 RWD and RC 300 AWD are not the same. Not even close. The 300 RWD has a 2.0 liter TC four with 241 HP and the 300 AWD has a NA 3.5 liter V6 with 260 HP, a figure I feel is underrated.

Lou
Old 03-02-21, 05:43 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
Lexus makes this confusing - But in a nutshell - The engines in an RC300 RWD and RC 300 AWD are not the same. Not even close. The 300 RWD has a 2.0 liter TC four with 241 HP and the 300 AWD has a NA 3.5 liter V6 with 260 HP, a figure I feel is underrated.

Lou
And a 350 AWD has also NA 3.5 liter V6 with 311 HP so from a 300TC and a 300NA - still significant power difference.