RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Clear Bra quandary!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 05:14 PM
LovinLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Bra quandary!

Have done quite a bit of legwork in researching PPF/clear bra, and read MANY testimonials (the latter being a huge factor in developing a mindset) in my pursuit of “to clear bra or not to clear bra,” and am even more unsure with how to proceed than when I first started looking into the topic!!!! For every glowing review, there’s an equally awful one!
Just not quite sure how to proceed.
Received a few quotes from a high-end Auto Spa (in my research that has been the one aspect all seem to agree on- make sure a reputable, skilled shop performs the work). I know the owner, personally, and they do all of our local BMW plant’s performance cars- and have seen the results of their work on everything from a 69 Camaro to a Tesla Model Y. They’re *GOOOOOD.* The quotes are below. With not having another high-end shop to get a quote(s), I have no comparison point in which to evaluate their cost. I had specifically asked for a few a la carte quotes, because still unsure, IF I go with the clear bra, whether to do the bumper. As you well know, the grille consists of about 70% of the bumper on the RC 350 F Sport. With PPF not being cheap, don’t want to make a purchase that would be of little use. The Obsidian Black paint on the 2015 F Sport just purchased two weeks ago is in exceptional condition. Only has 33500 miles, thus, hasn’t been driven much these past 6 years. 90% of the few, small chips I’ve picked out (which is being touched up at the local Lexus dealership next week) are in the hood. I didn’t see any on the bumper, and only one on the very small piece of the top of the fender: the hood and that grille battle for center stage, for sure! Anyways, thoughts on the PPF and exactly which parts are best/ a priority in having it applied??? It’s going to be a daily driver, appx 15 miles a day- city and suburbs- so rock chips, rod debris, etc. are a real concern. Any input is BEYOND appreciated!

*They use 8 mil thick, XPEL Ultimate with a 10 yr warranty.

Quotes:
XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film & Installation on Hood (Full/Wrapped)
$799.00

XPEL Ultimate Cross Country Pkg
Installation on Full Hood (wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirrors, Front Bumper, Door Edge Guards, & Headlights
$1,999.00

Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection Film & Installation on Full Hood, Mirrors, Front Bumper, & Door Edge Guards
$1,399.00

Last edited by LovinLexi; 03-05-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 06:03 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LovinLexi
Have done quite a bit of legwork in researching PPF/clear bra, and read MANY testimonials (the latter being a huge factor in developing a mindset) in my pursuit of “to clear bra or not to clear bra,” and am even more unsure with how to proceed than when I first started looking into the topic!!!! For every glowing review, there’s an equally awful one!
Just not quite sure how to proceed.
Received a few quotes from a high-end Auto Spa (in my research that has been the one aspect all seem to agree on- make sure a reputable, skilled shop performs the work). I know the owner, personally, and they do all of our local BMW plant’s performance cars- and have seen the results of their work on everything from a 69 Camaro to a Tesla. They’re *GOOOOOD.* The quotes are below. With not having another high-end shop to get a quote(s), I have no comparison point in which to evaluate their cost. I had specifically asked for a few a la carte quotes, because still unsure, IF I go with the clear bra, whether to do the bumper. As you well know, the grille consists of about 70% of the bumper on the RC 350 F Sport. With PPF not being cheap, don’t want to make a purchase that would be of little use. The Obsidian Black paint on the 2015 F Sport just purchased two weeks ago is in exceptional condition. Only has 33500 miles, thus, hasn’t been driven much these past 6 years. 90% of the few, small chips I’ve picked out (which is being touched up at the local Lexus dealership next week) are in the hood. I didn’t see any on the bumper, and only one on the very small piece of the top of the fender: the hood and that grille battle for center stage, for sure! Anyways, thoughts on the PPF and exactly which parts are best/ a priority in having it applied??? It’s going to be a daily driver, appx 15 miles a day- city and suburbs- so rock chips, rod debris, etc. are a real concern. Any input is BEYOND appreciated!

*They use 8 mil thick, XPEL Ultimate with a 10 yr warranty

Quotes:
XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film & Installation on Hood (Full/Wrapped)
$799.00

XPEL Ultimate Cross Country Pkg
Installation on Full Hood (wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirrors, Front Bumper, Door Edge Guards, & Headlights
$1,999.00

Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection Film & Installation on Full Hood, Mirrors, Front Bumper, & Door Edge Guards
$1,399.00
Im not sure what brand I have but I have partial hood, partial fenders, full front bumper, mirror caps, inside of door jamb, door edge, headlights and DRL lights. I paid $1,500 3 years ago. Now I do have two paint chips that went through PPF. But overall it has saved me from countless rock chips. I also went ahead and got my front lip done a few months later and bottom trim of grille since I had the grille painted gloss black.
The following users liked this post:
LovinLexi (03-05-21)
Old 03-09-21, 11:44 AM
pearsth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How does this stuff look? Can you tell it is on? I am debating on my Obsidian Black RC. I know in 5 years the paint will be crap if history continues to repeat itself.
Old 03-09-21, 12:01 PM
LovinLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pearsth
How does this stuff look? Can you tell it is on? I am debating on my Obsidian Black RC. I know in 5 years the paint will be crap if history continues to repeat itself.
I went to the Auto Spa yesterday to look at some cats that had the clear bra on at different ages. There’s was a black BMW M2 that is close to our Obsidian that had been on for 3 years and the bra looked the same as it did on the black Porsche it was sitting beside that a bra had been put on the day before. That, and knowing as you mentioned the wear it’s going to show after a few years, sold me. And went with wrapping the entire front- for I saw a Mercedes that only went half way up the hood, and on the black (which is what color it was), the line where it stopped was VERY noticeable.
Old 03-09-21, 12:21 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

I've had XPEL on my SC430 since 02. Front half of hood, not full. It has done a great job of protecting against a myriad of small hits. Even kept the headlights from yellowing. Also, the film has barely yellowed after all this time.
My one regret is not replacing the XPEL after five years. If you keep it on as long as I have, it becomes a total pain to remove. Otherwise, still very happy I didi it all those years and miles (226K) ago.
Old 03-09-21, 01:05 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
I've had XPEL on my SC430 since 02. Front half of hood, not full. It has done a great job of protecting against a myriad of small hits. Even kept the headlights from yellowing. Also, the film has barely yellowed after all this time.
My one regret is not replacing the XPEL after five years. If you keep it on as long as I have, it becomes a total pain to remove. Otherwise, still very happy I didi it all those years and miles (226K) ago.
I have had mine for 3 years now and it’s held up pretty good, only some yellowing around certain edges. I’m thinking about getting it redone sometime this year.
Old 03-15-21, 01:46 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it were me, I'd look at doing a hybrid of paying someone and doing it myself. Headlights, fog lights and mirrors are extremely doable yourself If you watch some YouTube videos... you can buy the same film for a fraction.

I did just that with zero previous experience. The headlights were a little tricky but I did it.

Door guards are stupid easy and will take you at most 2 minutes per door. Especially if you've already done the other stuff.