RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Want to Change front Badge, will it interfere?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 07:30 AM
HijACKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Want to Change front Badge, will it interfere?

With the adaptive cruise Sensor array?
Did a search could not find anything on this topic. I have Radar cruise in my 15 RC 350, my front logo has picked up some rock chips over time and Im looking for a replacement. Like this. I believe the radar sense array is located just behind the stock badging. Will changing it out effect the ability of the system to detect? Is the stock logo somehow opaque so the sensor can see through it? Anybody done this and how easy is it?

Old 03-23-21, 03:02 PM
baggedRC
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HijACKER
Did a search could not find anything on this topic. I have Radar cruise in my 15 RC 350, my front logo has picked up some rock chips over time and Im looking for a replacement. Like this. I believe the radar sense array is located just behind the stock badging. Will changing it out effect the ability of the system to detect? Is the stock logo somehow opaque so the sensor can see through it? Anybody done this and how easy is it?

I believe so, you will need to find one that’s compatible. At least when I replaced mine which is similar to the one you were looking at said that it was not compatible but I don’t have that feature.
Old 03-23-21, 03:35 PM
HijACKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

ah shucks, thanks for the info. Anyone done this with a badge that was compatible and what are the option?
Old 03-23-21, 05:16 PM
Fithamoto
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I mean, how much do you really use your Cruise control?
I rarely use mine...so I wouldn't give a rats ***.
The following users liked this post:
Gen2IS26 (03-26-21)
Old 03-24-21, 09:14 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think "rarely use" is the answer. I don't use mine much either, but when I do it's very, very nice, and if I blocked out the feature with a faux badge, then I could never use it.
For a value based decision, the OP should look at the cost differential between a compatible badge and the fake replacement. That's his cost savings. Compare that to the cost of a radar cruise control system (which he has rendered inoperative) and factor in the lost resale value when he has to tell a buyer (as he surely will) that the cruise control does not work but the badge is cute and chip-free.
I don't think the initial cost savings is worth the loss of the system.
Perhaps a detailer can touch up the badge, or perhaps radar compliant badges are available elsewhere.
Finally, putting a black badge on a black grille means nobody will see it anyway; why not just spray paint the chipped badge? (See image below.)

Old 03-24-21, 09:25 AM
Fithamoto
Pit Crew

tfischer, actually does have some good points. I just had my grill wrapped in black and the center lip with carbon fiber wrap....the Logo was tinted down in value...maybe you an do the same thing.

Old 03-24-21, 01:19 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

That light grey tinted badge on the light grey car looks pretty good.
Maybe I should make my front badge red, like I did with my valve stem caps.

Last edited by tfischer; 04-01-21 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 03:21 PM
Fithamoto
Pit Crew

tfischer, Just like my blue caps and blue exhaust tips...If you go Red tint it will look like you have a Zit to pop, or it will look like Rudolph! Lol
I was going to get Red caps, but decided to go blue at the last second.
The best thing is just go with a medium-light tint to take the shinny pop out of it.

Old 04-01-21, 03:44 PM
mpugeda
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HijACKER

Who sells this?