RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Camber question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22 | 03:50 PM
bamaB
10th Gear

Default Camber question

Alright RC guys. So today i had a huge issue with Lexus of West Palm Beach BUT to their credit, they are resolving the issue, that was clearly a fault on their part. During this issue i found out how negative the camber was. So with that said, do any of you adjust the camber to zero? Understandably, it helps with the Handling and performance. I know i know, dumb question and clueless but i hate that it wears on the inside of my tire too damn quickly. Thoughts? Would you guys change that up?
Old 04-13-22 | 10:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

No I would not change the camber to 0. I would leave it at factory settings.

And the camber has little to nothing to do with your inner wear.

The inner wear is due to the kinematics of the suspension, dynamic toe change under braking/load. It's inherent and baked into the design of the car on purpose. It's a decades old philosophy started by BMW and affects all roadgoing sporty cars today. It's a badge of honor and a sign of excellent handling characteristics for street cars. I've written several articles and posts on this subject going on over a decade for the BMW crowd.

TL;dr, it's normal, you have to pay to play. Keep the stock alignment.

You may be able to mitigate using RC-F / GS-F bushings, but it won't totally eliminate the excess wear.
Old 04-13-22 | 04:43 PM
grandspt
Driver

I don't know how much negative camber you had in your setup but too much negative camber (probably over -1 degree on each side) can definitely wear the inside edge of the tires over time. And conversely too much positive camber can wear the outside edge of the tires.
For street driving set the alignment per factory specs.
If you autocross your car then negative camber is very helpful especially with sticky tires.