RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Intake/Exhaust Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 03:03 PM
txscott
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intake/Exhaust Restrictions

I recently bought a 2016 RC 200t, and am wondering if this vehicle has any air box/exhaust restrictions? I am coming from the Dodge Charger world and Mopar did an excellent job with their air boxes and exhausts. The only reason to make any changes on that car to those items was for looks or sound. I'm wondering if Lexus has done their homework in these areas as well, or are there restrictions "we" can overcome with the aftermarket world? When I purchased the car it did come with an aftermarket Injen CAI boxed up in the trunk. It appears to have been previously installed. Are there any benefits from this intake? It appears the filter sits out in the open, sucking hot engine compartment air. I'm not sure about the exhaust...it's stock. Does it have any glaring issues with restrictions?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have for me, and I look forward to learning more about this car as I go along.

Scott
Old 05-27-22, 10:20 PM
txscott
10th Gear

So, after doing a bunch of reading tonight, it appears the stock air box flows well, and doesn't appear to be a restriction. It appears this car's restriction is the down pipe? Would that be a true statement?

Scott
Old 05-28-22, 11:17 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

I would think Lexus did their homework with the RC in pretty much all areas. If you are looking for
a street hot rod, you might have bought the wrong car. The RC is a luxury, sport vehicle, quality manufacturing
made to have a little sport, good looking, good riding, comfortable, long lasting car. As far a comparison to
your former ride, I don't believe you can use those adjectives for it, ever.
The following users liked this post:
BorjaNoise (05-29-22)
Old 05-28-22, 12:12 PM
txscott
10th Gear

I'm not looking for a "street hot rod". I was really just curious if Lexus had left a little performance on the table by having an intake or exhaust that may have been a bit restrictive in its quest to meet EPA standards. Some manufacturers mold resonators into the intake tubes, or have a god awful intake track or on the exhaust side "choke down" the exhaust a bit to make it quieter...to pass EPA standards. When Lexus designed these cars they had to design for the masses, where as us enthusiasts may like to make a subtle change that Lexus would've like to have made, but were unable to.

You are correct, my Lexus is in no way comparable to my pervious car...and I don't mean that in a bad way. My Lexus puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it, my previous car not so much.
BorjaNoise (05-29-22)
Old 05-29-22, 02:38 AM
grandspt
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kind of agree with Charlie RC, the Lexus RC is a luxury touring car with some sporty intentions.
I have the AWD RC300 255 HP and was originally thinking about a tune to make it equal to the more expensive RC350 305 HP. After all they are the same exact engine from the factory (but the RC300 was detuned by the PCM calibration).
But after owning it for several years I figured why bother playing with it. The car is reliable and does most everything I ask of it.
I do have another car that I have owned for almost 25 years that is my lunatic fringe car that has been cammed, ported, tuned, lowered, etc.
So if I have the need for speed I jump in that.
But there is something satisfying driving a quiet luxury car like the Lexus RC.
Enjoy your Lexus!!
BorjaNoise (05-29-22)
Old 05-29-22, 04:00 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

My RC is my daily driver. So as far as mods, not a thing. It's loaded with goodies, and is AWD as well. The ML stereo is badass
regardless of what some might state, it won't blow you away but sounds very good for a factory unit. When I need to get a vehicle
rush on, I have a big Kawasaki sportbike for that. My RC is my wind down everyday, comfortable, quiet transportation.
I forgot to add, 7 years old and I still love this car. And I have had a few over the years that I can't make that statement about.

Last edited by CharlieRC; 05-30-22 at 04:57 PM.