RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 05:37 PM
Jason712
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Low oil pressure

Hi! Does anyone else get a low oil pressure warning for a split second when starting up the car cold or when it has been sitting for a bit? The light does not pop back up after that. I was getting it intermittently a while back, but now it's happening on most if not every startup.
Old 06-22-22, 11:13 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Model and Year of the car? When it the last time you did an oil change? Did you check oil level via dipstick? Your engine might be slowly eating up the oil.
Old 06-23-22, 06:54 AM
Jason712
Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Model and Year of the car? When it the last time you did an oil change? Did you check oil level via dipstick? Your engine might be slowly eating up the oil.
2015 rc350 f-sport, last oil change was less than 3k miles ago around February. Oil level is perfect and the oil isn't dirty. It only happens during startup for less than a second which is weird. I'm doing injector cleaner then a oil change to see if that helps.
Old 06-24-22, 07:05 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Could just be the oil pressure sensor. Find it (don't know where it is at the moment), unplug it, clean the
contacts and plug it back in. Then start it up and see if there is a change. If not, could be a bad sensor.
Make sure, if it's corroded on the plug, after cleaning put a bit of contact grease on the contacts.
Old 06-24-22, 07:54 PM
Jason712
Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieRC
Could just be the oil pressure sensor. Find it (don't know where it is at the moment), unplug it, clean the
contacts and plug it back in. Then start it up and see if there is a change. If not, could be a bad sensor.
Make sure, if it's corroded on the plug, after cleaning put a bit of contact grease on the contacts.
Thanks for the advice, I've been searching the web to find the location of it, but I can't seem to find it. Could you send a pic of where it is?
Old 06-25-22, 07:02 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't have pic of it right at this moment but I understand it's on the front left (looking at the engine from the front)
Google for images of Toyota oil sensors/switches, you'll see what you're looking for.
Old 06-25-22, 04:36 PM
Jason712
Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieRC
I don't have pic of it right at this moment but I understand it's on the front left (looking at the engine from the front)
Google for images of Toyota oil sensors/switches, you'll see what you're looking for.
Found the sensor and cleaned it, didn't resolve the issue. Got a battery test at AutoZone and was told the battery was bad and had 83% capacity, but the car still starts everytime? Maybe it's the battery messing with the cars electronics?
Old 06-25-22, 05:59 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

It seems like it’s losing pressure if not an oil level issue.

If this is my car. I’d do an oil change right away. If the light comes back, I’d seafoam that sucker and do an italian tune up, then do another oil change again to get rid of the seafoam.

What’s your oil change interval? Hopefully you don’t wait for 10K before doing an oil change.

Not sure if a bad battery causes that specific light to come up. If ever you see a light regarding a battery issue, it should be the battery light.

Old 06-25-22, 06:38 PM
Jason712
Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
It seems like it’s losing pressure if not an oil level issue.

If this is my car. I’d do an oil change right away. If the light comes back, I’d seafoam that sucker and do an italian tune up, then do another oil change again to get rid of the seafoam.

What’s your oil change interval? Hopefully you don’t wait for 10K before doing an oil change.

Not sure if a bad battery causes that specific light to come up. If ever you see a light regarding a battery issue, it should be the battery light.

What I find weird is that the light only flashes for a split second when I start it up cold or if it's been sitting for a few hours, but even then it's at random. I change my oil every 5k, but I'm headed to Florida for a week soon. I'm going to do fuel treatment once I get back, an oil change, spark plugs, and maybe the oil pressure sensor. Our 2016 RX threw random warnings and malfunctions when the battery was dying so I was just guessing🤷‍♂️ Here's a clip of it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i85...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 06-27-22, 05:56 AM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

not sure if this helps since i was browsing the forum and read something similar to this from a forum member @Pittsy
" RR BBK is TOO powerful for my car. No complaints on braking power, its absolutely awesome. Current issue is under heavy braking, max braking power without activating ABS, the oil in my oil pan sloshes forward and lets the oil pickup go dry and results in a engine oil pressure low alert in the dash for not even half a second. Problem immediately fixes itself. Thinking about switching to 5w-30 oil or a baffled oil pan. Also noticing some LCA bushing deflection under heavy braking so I picked up the RR USRS. Hopefully it comes off backorder soon. This car is going to become a track machine! "
Old 06-27-22, 11:22 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Giangsturh
not sure if this helps since i was browsing the forum and read something similar to this from a forum member @Pittsy
" RR BBK is TOO powerful for my car. No complaints on braking power, its absolutely awesome. Current issue is under heavy braking, max braking power without activating ABS, the oil in my oil pan sloshes forward and lets the oil pickup go dry and results in a engine oil pressure low alert in the dash for not even half a second. Problem immediately fixes itself. Thinking about switching to 5w-30 oil or a baffled oil pan. Also noticing some LCA bushing deflection under heavy braking so I picked up the RR USRS. Hopefully it comes off backorder soon. This car is going to become a track machine! "

i think i had replied to your Facebook post you made as well. Do an oil change. If the issue persists let the dealer diag it.
Old 06-02-24, 01:47 AM
is350hopeful
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason712
What I find weird is that the light only flashes for a split second when I start it up cold or if it's been sitting for a few hours, but even then it's at random. I change my oil every 5k, but I'm headed to Florida for a week soon. I'm going to do fuel treatment once I get back, an oil change, spark plugs, and maybe the oil pressure sensor. Our 2016 RX threw random warnings and malfunctions when the battery was dying so I was just guessing🤷‍♂️ Here's a clip of it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i85...w?usp=drivesdk
Did you ever figure out the cause? Having word for word the exact same issue and would appreciate it so much if you could share the outcome here. Thank you!
Old 06-02-24, 07:37 AM
Jason712
Driver

Originally Posted by is350hopeful
Did you ever figure out the cause? Having word for word the exact same issue and would appreciate it so much if you could share the outcome here. Thank you!
I did, it ended up being the battery. It checked out bad with battery tests, but it was still starting the car no problem. No issues since after changing it. These cars are sensitive to low batteries

Last edited by Jason712; 06-02-24 at 07:40 AM.