RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

My new F Sport wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-22, 01:46 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
i think he meant squared too, but 19x9 squared. big squared. for that big boy traction instead of medium boy traction.
It's more about looks at that point, I had enough traction from Michelin PS4S on 8" wheels but 8" looks a bit thin from the rear. I'll take any extra contact though for an emergency situation.

For the OP: Keep a set of the original lug nuts in the trunk in case you need to use your spare. The spare is not designed to work with the new thinner lugs you now have. Also a good time to check the spare tire pressure if you haven't, mine seems to drop almost 20lbs each year. Maybe you are more thoughtful than I am but I randomly thought of this months after I swapped out these wheels.
Old 09-27-22, 08:01 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Man, for the forge price, they sure failed at the design department on this.
Old 09-28-22, 07:31 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Man, for the forge price, they sure failed at the design department on this.
How do you figure? They look way better than the factory wheels in my opinion.
Old 09-30-22, 03:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
It's more about looks at that point, I had enough traction from Michelin PS4S on 8" wheels but 8" looks a bit thin from the rear. I'll take any extra contact though for an emergency situation.

For the OP: Keep a set of the original lug nuts in the trunk in case you need to use your spare. The spare is not designed to work with the new thinner lugs you now have. Also a good time to check the spare tire pressure if you haven't, mine seems to drop almost 20lbs each year. Maybe you are more thoughtful than I am but I randomly thought of this months after I swapped out these wheels.
I'd favor lightness/agility over a tiny bit of added traction any day. Up to a point, of course.

good reminder of the spare. need to check my donut.
Old 09-30-22, 07:10 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

I'd favor lightness/agility over a tiny bit of added traction any day. Up to a point, of course.

good reminder of the spare. need to check my donut.
Excellent point. It's also not just weight, but rotational mass. Larger wheels and tires likely add rotational mass over the stock configuration effectively giving you a slower car in favor of aesthetics and "traction" beyond that defined by Lexus engineers.

For those unfamiliar: "Rotating mass is roughly three times harder to accelerate than sprung weight. This means that dropping just 10 pounds per wheel with the addition of a lighter set of racing-oriented wheels would equate to a reduction of almost 120 pounds of sprung weight."

Last edited by SethP; 09-30-22 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 07:20 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by SethP
Excellent point. It's also not just weight, but rotational mass. Larger wheels and tires likely add rotational mass over the stock configuration effectively giving you a slower car in favor of aesthetics and "traction" beyond that defined by Lexus engineers.

For those unfamiliar: "Rotating mass is roughly three times harder to accelerate than sprung weight. This means that dropping just 10 pounds per wheel with the addition of a lighter set of racing-oriented wheels would equate to a reduction of almost 120 pounds of sprung weight."
I'll be honest, I was hoping for a change when I went with these wheels and saved 30-40lbs from the oem setup but I didn't notice anything. I didn't notice anything again when I went with the slightly heavier RC-F wheels. I'll take extra traction for an emergency situation than any theoretical performance gains that I will never use, at least in the way I use the car as a commuter.
Old 10-03-22, 02:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I forgot who did it but i saw a recent video where they tested two identical cars (I think BRZs) and one had stock wheels and one had light weight racing wheels. Same size/diameter. Same tires. they both drag raced and while not night and day, the car with the light wheels started pulling away at higher speeds. if you youtube it, you can find it.
Old 10-10-22, 12:46 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

I forgot who did it but i saw a recent video where they tested two identical cars (I think BRZs) and one had stock wheels and one had light weight racing wheels. Same size/diameter. Same tires. they both drag raced and while not night and day, the car with the light wheels started pulling away at higher speeds. if you youtube it, you can find it.
It's really only logical. It's funny because so many people do these mods that have dubious claims of hp boost, whereas lightweight wheels are the only ones indisputably deliver on increased performance.
Old 11-04-22, 02:45 AM
davencp33
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if these will fit a 2022 RC 350 F Sport? I only ask because I don't know if the F Sport has bigger brakes or not. Also, those who went with a square set up of these, did you just buy 4 front wheels? And, finally one last question; where did you find the correct F Sport center cap for these wheels? I greatly appreciate any help.
Old 11-04-22, 02:51 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davencp33
Does anyone know if these will fit a 2022 RC 350 F Sport? I only ask because I don't know if the F Sport has bigger brakes or not. Also, those who went with a square set up of these, did you just buy 4 front wheels? And, finally one last question; where did you find the correct F Sport center cap for these wheels? I greatly appreciate any help.

They will fit the 22 with no issues , and you are correct in buying 4 front wheels 19x8. The wheels should come factory with those center caps . I’ve never seen them sold w/o them. I never really fell in love with them on my GS.

Old 11-04-22, 03:07 AM
davencp33
8th Gear

Originally Posted by acnup00tl
They will fit the 22 with no issues , and you are correct in buying 4 front wheels 19x8. The wheels should come factory with those center caps . I’ve never seen them sold w/o them. I never really fell in love with them on my GS.
This is what I needed to hear. I definitely agree that there are better looking wheels out there, but I'd rather stick with OEM Lexus parts and aftermarket forged wheels are outrageous right now. And, with these, I won't feel as bad if I ruin one because they're relatively cheap.
Old 11-04-22, 05:15 AM
davencp33
8th Gear

Has anyone on here looked into these?

PTR45-53081

They are discontinued by Lexus, but there are some places that still sell them.

Old 11-04-22, 10:53 AM
BMGS
Racer

On my GS, I bought 4 rear wheels for 19x9 all around. These will clear larger brakes, especially the 19x9 up front with a generous -40 offset. The wheels come with center caps but I think they look better with the contrast from the black F-Sport Center cap. See post#2 for a photo.

Last edited by BMGS; 11-04-22 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-05-22, 04:51 AM
SethP
Pit Crew

I don't believe the brakes will be an issue. I believe these wheels are mostly the same dimensions as factory (19x8), the only thing that was slightly different is the offset, which gives it an unnoticeably wider stance.