RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 10:16 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Battery issues

Hopefully somebody can help me with this, I know there's been several battery issues posts over the years but mine is a 15' RCF with 7k miles if that even matters but I have took it to autozone 2 times now & they keep saying the battery is good but I've had it on a battery tender & it says it's fully charged & even after that I disconnected the negative post over nite cause they told me that would tell me if it's the battery or something else & it still wouldn't start! It just does that clicking sound, any suggestions! Thanks
Old 10-12-22, 07:59 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Hopefully somebody can help me with this, I know there's been several battery issues posts over the years but mine is a 15' RCF with 7k miles if that even matters but I have took it to autozone 2 times now & they keep saying the battery is good but I've had it on a battery tender & it says it's fully charged & even after that I disconnected the negative post over nite cause they told me that would tell me if it's the battery or something else & it still wouldn't start! It just does that clicking sound, any suggestions! Thanks
This is the rc350 subform, but we can still figure it out. when you jump start the car does it start just fine? Im willing to bet if you replaced the battery it would fix it. Go Lexus OEM battery, for the warranty. Its incredible.
Old 10-12-22, 08:03 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

You don't say how old the battery is, or what size or type; surely it's newer than 2015. That clicking sound, I think, is the solenoid clicking into place but not getting enough energy to turn over the engine. My guess is that you need a new battery, but I would get a second opinion from a mechanic with more training and experience and test equipment than the boys at AutoZone.
Old 10-13-22, 08:54 AM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

corroded battery terminals not having enough contact?
Old 10-13-22, 10:10 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

I think the OP or surely the boys at AutoZone would have seen "corroded battery terminals."
I think replacing the battery in this seldom driven, 7 year old car, would be a good place to start.
Get the correct size and power specifications from the Lexus dealer or the Lexus documentation and be sure to get a battery comparable to original equipment.

Old 10-13-22, 09:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Thanks guys, yes tfischer you're correct there's definitely no corrision & it's always been kept in a climate controlled garage! I'm going to try & jump start it tomorrow & go get a new battery but it is the battery that came with the car in 15'. I've seen in the manual where it said when trying to jump start an RCF there's 2 plugs to unscrew from the top plastic piece but apparently I don't have those, but it said it's better to connect the negative to an unpainted piece instead of the neg. part of the battery?
Old 10-13-22, 10:07 PM
ronkelley
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

but it said it's better to connect the negative to an unpainted piece instead of the neg. part of the battery?
--

The reason it's safer to put the incoming power jump wires (i.e., on the car with the bad battery), on red to positive terminal and black to bare metal is in case the power sparks and ignites gasses off the battery. It can explode. It has happened to one of my employees on a company car in the warehouse. Blew the entire top off the battery as if it was cut off with a can opener all the way around the top portion of the battery. If you hook the jumper clamp last and some distance away from the battery, you will be safer.

--
Old 10-14-22, 07:54 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Basic battery jumpstart rules guys.Follow the simple rules to prevent shorts and the like.
If you are jumping it, something is going on somewhere.
If a battery is giving problems as described, just replace it. Plus, sometimes the battery in the car can
be substantially older than you think. you don't have to go overboard in a purchase either. You don't
need one to power the Mars rover, just a good 3-5 year battery made for your particular application
The local autoparts guys should be able to handle this without going to a "stealership" and paying 3
times more for the same product..
Old 10-14-22, 08:22 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

There is a nice big bolt near the battery on the RC that works great as a ground. Note my use of the word "surely" in my post above. You did not mention that your battery was this old. As this battery was new in 2015, 7 years ago, and the car has been driven very little, I think "bad, old and tired battery" is the diagnosis that explains all your symptoms.
ALSO, since most manufacturers suggest replacing tires that are over six years old regardless of tread depth, you might want to turn you attention there next.
Old 10-14-22, 09:53 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Thanks again Everybody, I'll let you know the outcome!
Old 10-23-22, 06:02 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Just wanted to let everybody know I'm still in Baton Rouge & haven't went back home yet to deal with my battery issues!
Old 10-30-22, 11:04 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks guys, yes tfischer you're correct there's definitely no corrision & it's always been kept in a climate controlled garage! I'm going to try & jump start it tomorrow & go get a new battery but it is the battery that came with the car in 15'. I've seen in the manual where it said when trying to jump start an RCF there's 2 plugs to unscrew from the top plastic piece but apparently I don't have those, but it said it's better to connect the negative to an unpainted piece instead of the neg. part of the battery?
So you're saying, a 7 year old battery is giving you problems? That is really not uncommon. Your problem is likely the battery has dropped below it's minimum voltage level at some point and can no longer hold a charge. Even if you use a battery tender or jump it, it won't matter since it can't hold a charge. You can jump it, you can use a tender and get it to start but it won't last much longer till it needs another charge because it's dropped below a minimum voltage level.

I went through the same thing. I have an 06 Evo IX, I've had since new. Rarely drive it. I had a Yellow Top Optima battery for a while and even that lost it's charge and could no longer hold be jumped. That's when I got a battery tender, but that won't make a battery last a life time.
Old 11-14-22, 09:17 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Thanks everybody I just got back in town & yes it was the battery, the car cranks up better than ever! Thanks everybody for your input