RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Is this Oil Brand Recommended = Ravenol ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 12:44 AM
Drug350
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Is this Oil Brand Recommended = Ravenol ???

I apologize if this has been covered before. I'm brand new to this forum after just purchasing a 2018 RC F earlier today from a local dealer. This vehicle was taken in as a trade in at my local Jaguar Land Rover dealership. The car is absolutely BEAUTIFUL with 12,900 miles on it and has every option accept the "performance option" (carbon fiber roof, spoiler, and torque vectoring differential). For the price, low miles, and full options, I couldn't pass it up, so I purchased it today. I received a copy of the recent maintenance, oil change, inspection, etc... from the dealer in order to get it ready to sell. I noticed under the service records it notes "oil change 10 qts $3.30 per quart". Now I'm sure dealers get oil a lot cheaper than I do, but I'm thinking this can't be synthetic oil, and I've already read on here about "dealers over filling during oil changes putting 10 qts in incorrectly". I'm picking the car up on Thursday and plan on doing a full oil change. I came across this particular company that sells this German oil: "Ravenol", filter: "Mahle" replacement drain plug, and gasket in a kit for $119.00. I was planning on ordering 2 kits to receive the additional 5% discount plus free shipping. Is this Oil Brand good and recommended for these RC F ??? Should I instead just go with Mobil One full synthetic ??? I'm not so worried about spending a few bucks more on oil as this will be a low mileage car so I won't need to do but one a year, probably because of time more so than miles. I thank you in advance to all whom take the time to respond to this newbie. I'm so look forward to driving this car and learning lots on this forum. Thank you !!!!

Here's the link:
​​​​
https://www.blauparts.com/lexus-rc-f-oil-change-kit-50l-15-17.html
Old 03-23-23, 06:42 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't have any experience with that oil. I really dont trust dealerships or random shops to do oil changes or really ANY maintenance. I prefer to do it all myself.

TBH...I am a mobile one fan.
Old 03-24-23, 02:24 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

The ISF guys have many more experience years on the 2UR...they have an oil thread you should look into.

The oils that seems to do well are AMSOIL, Redline, Renewable Lubrcants, and Quakerstate Ultimate Synthetic. I have personally used the last two on my ISF and now my RCF. My ISF had a ticking that disappeared just using the renewable lubricants....
The following users liked this post:
Drug350 (03-24-23)
Old 03-24-23, 02:44 PM
Drug350
Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
The ISF guys have many more experience years on the 2UR...they have an oil thread you should look into.

The oils that seems to do well are AMSOIL, Redline, Renewable Lubrcants, and Quakerstate Ultimate Synthetic. I have personally used the last two on my ISF and now my RCF. My ISF had a ticking that disappeared just using the renewable lubricants....
I'm not picking the car up until late next week so I don't have the manuals. Do you know the required certifications for the oil to be used in these RC F's so I can verify that this German oil is to spec ??? I like this kit this company sells and I get it delivered in a day so it's convenient. I know for my VW TDI I have to use a very specific oil, which is Castrol LLO3 (I believe). I like that it comes in litres so you add the full 9 litres for an oil change with filter and should be right on (I believe my 2018 takes 9 litres w/filter). I want to do an oil change immediately because I'm not sure the dealer who took this in on trade and serviced it (not a Toyota / Lexus dealer), used full synthetic or even the right amount. Thanks !!!!
Old 03-24-23, 04:40 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Drug350
I'm not picking the car up until late next week so I don't have the manuals. Do you know the required certifications for the oil to be used in these RC F's so I can verify that this German oil is to spec ??? I like this kit this company sells and I get it delivered in a day so it's convenient. I know for my VW TDI I have to use a very specific oil, which is Castrol LLO3 (I believe). I like that it comes in litres so you add the full 9 litres for an oil change with filter and should be right on (I believe my 2018 takes 9 litres w/filter). I want to do an oil change immediately because I'm not sure the dealer who took this in on trade and serviced it (not a Toyota / Lexus dealer), used full synthetic or even the right amount. Thanks !!!!
You're overthinking this, couple of things to note here,
Typically all euro oil's meet most US oil standards.
Any off-the-shelf oil with the correct weight would do it, if you fancy the best with 0 sludge, most minimal engine wear etc.. then Amsoil Signature Series, Redline, or Renewable Lubricants the car from the day you get it.
Otherwise, Pennzoil ultra plat is where the sweet spot on price to performance is gonna be.

None of the oil your looking at online will ever outperform those listed above.
There are 0 .. i Repeat, ZERO Euro or US oils that top those 3 brands listed above.

I think Amsoil has won enough lawsuits that keep big manufacturers from ever advertising they are the best.
BossMoss (03-26-23)
Old 03-24-23, 05:18 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Stick to what is already out there and established.
Old 03-24-23, 05:20 PM
Drug350
Driver

Originally Posted by gravesg
You're overthinking this, couple of things to note here,
Typically all euro oil's meet most US oil standards.
Any off-the-shelf oil with the correct weight would do it, if you fancy the best with 0 sludge, most minimal engine wear etc.. then Amsoil Signature Series, Redline, or Renewable Lubricants the car from the day you get it.
Otherwise, Pennzoil ultra plat is where the sweet spot on price to performance is gonna be.

None of the oil your looking at online will ever outperform those listed above.
There are 0 .. i Repeat, ZERO Euro or US oils that top those 3 brands listed above.

I think Amsoil has won enough lawsuits that keep big manufacturers from ever advertising they are the best.
OK. I know with my TDI it says it would void the warranty using oil that doesn't meet the spec. Castrol is what VW shows on the engine, that LL03 spec. I'm not sure what's so different about this particular spec oil vs other synthetic oils, including other Castrol synthetic oils, but I've paid the few extra bucks to continue using it. Maybe it's different with a diesel and their more susceptible to issue's relating to oil, I have no idea. I just was wondering if Lexus has similar spec oil to be used in these higher performance engines. I've used Red Line and Royal Purple in most of my high performance bikes.
Old 03-24-23, 05:38 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by gravesg
I forgot about Pennzoil Ultra. Good catch.
Old 03-24-23, 06:35 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Drug350
OK. I know with my TDI it says it would void the warranty using oil that doesn't meet the spec. Castrol is what VW shows on the engine, that LL03 spec. I'm not sure what's so different about this particular spec oil vs other synthetic oils, including other Castrol synthetic oils, but I've paid the few extra bucks to continue using it. Maybe it's different with a diesel and their more susceptible to issue's relating to oil, I have no idea. I just was wondering if Lexus has similar spec oil to be used in these higher performance engines. I've used Red Line and Royal Purple in most of my high performance bikes.
Gasoline engine burns cleaner, and this engine in particular is direct and port injection. Self cleaning perfected.
Oils don't have to be full of detergents, a lot less cleaning is going on vs diesel.
Old 03-24-23, 10:40 PM
corolla6mt
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL the discussion on Dino vs Syn oil for the 2ur-gse is storied.
I have been running Castrol 5W30 gtx untraclean dino/conventional oil since 2016 with Lexus/Toy Genuine Filter.
No burns no leaks, runs smooth, prob better for valve seating when new.
When i am lazy and take it into my Lexus dealer, they pull out Lexus 5w30 conventional 1qt bottles.

I think the choice of oil filter is the most impt factor.
Old 03-25-23, 09:42 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by corolla6mt
LOL the discussion on Dino vs Syn oil for the 2ur-gse is storied.
I have been running Castrol 5W30 gtx untraclean dino/conventional oil since 2016 with Lexus/Toy Genuine Filter.
No burns no leaks, runs smooth, prob better for valve seating when new.
When i am lazy and take it into my Lexus dealer, they pull out Lexus 5w30 conventional 1qt bottles.

I think the choice of oil filter is the most impt factor.
You don’t need synthetic oil….but synthetic oil gives the best protection.
Old 03-25-23, 09:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
You don’t need synthetic oil….but synthetic oil gives the best protection.
Only one of these can be true at the same time.
Drug350 (03-25-23)
Old 03-25-23, 10:56 PM
Drug350
Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That's funny 👍👍.
Old 03-26-23, 09:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Not really - You don't need $1 million, but it would be nice to have