RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seat AC duct review

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 06:53 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Seat AC duct review

So my wife got me the a/c seat vent duct mod at Etsy.

Before I had this mod I couldn’t really feel the ac seat cooling. I’d turn them on and blast them at full on SoCal 100 degree summers and found them useless. So I got these ducts and installed them (fairly simple).

They are….okay. I guess they do their job. I never felt the seats actually cool before but now I do feel like a 15% difference. I did have to put the ac on full blast and route the air through the feet and front vents to help circulate the cold air.

I had my wife sit in the passenger seat and she did notice the seat getting cold.

For me it was a slight improvement but I guess for $40 I can’t ask for miracles. When it does get super hot again I’m sure every little thing helps.

I guess for $40 I can recommend this to anyone living in a state where summers get over 100 deg. Easy install. Relatively cheap. It did improve the cooling….7/10 (I guess my expectations were too high).

Maybe anyone with this mod can chime in. Is there a setting on the a/c I need to do so it works stronger? 🤷🏻‍♂️

$40 comes with two 3D printed plastic ducts.

What it shows under the seat below a fan

Now it directs the air directly on the seat fan below the seat
The following users liked this post:
marcuslaw2 (05-27-23)
Old 05-25-23, 09:01 PM
SideOfRice
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the review! I have the link bookmarked for a couple months now and will give my review once I get them as well. OEM cooled seat feature is pretty useless lol it may not be triple digits yet here in Oregon but it gets hot af inside the car.
Old 05-26-23, 04:50 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 206 Posts

Nice review; I'll probably grab a set too.
Old 05-27-23, 09:32 AM
marcuslaw2
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I completely agree with your review. I too noticed a 15-20% improvement. It's a shame too. My wife's ES350 seat coolers are felt immediately and are very effective at thwarting swamp ***.
Old 05-27-23, 10:26 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Link to buy them…may as well give it a shot since it’s hotter than Satans Butthole in Florida
Old 05-27-23, 10:38 AM
marcuslaw2
Rookie

[QUOTE=TOPHER9425;11513289]Link to buy them…may as well give it a shot since it’s hotter than Satans Butthole in Florida[/QUOTE

You must be new to Florida. It's only May 27th. Just wait until August.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9011029...ef=share_v4_lx

Old 05-27-23, 12:36 PM
cvt
Racer

[QUOTE=marcuslaw2;11513296]
Originally Posted by TOPHER9425
Link to buy them…may as well give it a shot since it’s hotter than Satans Butthole in Florida[/QUOTE

Thanks for the assist. Been trying to copy send paste the link with much difficulty.

I do see some tips that would help people feel the difference even more:

1) Make sure a/c is on mid to full blast and put on recirculating and not taking from outside air.

2) Direct a/c from front vents and feet or just the feet.

3) Make sure your seat is not in the lowest position and lines out as close to the fan on the bottom of the seat. This ensures more air is circulating around the bottom of the seat. When the seat starts to cool down you can lower your seat.

4) Initially get the ac on lowest temp to help recirculate the cold air. When the seat starts to cool you can increase temp to your liking.

I know…so many concessions…but such is life and the seat cooling feature was already a 0/10….now with these vents they are a 3/10 😂😂😂😂

Last edited by cvt; 05-27-23 at 05:36 PM.
marcuslaw2 (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 01:06 PM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=marcuslaw2;11513296]
Originally Posted by TOPHER9425
Link to buy them…may as well give it a shot since it’s hotter than Satans Butthole in Florida[/QUOTE

nope been here most of my life…but damn the heat can be unbearable
Old 05-29-23, 06:21 PM
jim2527
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I just realized I don’t exactly know how the AC seats work! Timer? Certain trigger temps?
Old 05-29-23, 07:36 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by jim2527
I just realized I don’t exactly know how the AC seats work! Timer? Certain trigger temps?
Its okay, I didn’t know either. Reading previous threads on this mod it seems the fan under the seat blows up recirculated air that’s already in the cabin. So how well it works depends on how cold the interior is and where the air is directed. So it makes sense I feel it more when I set the a/c to the coldest level and direct it to the front vents and my feet or just my feet.

Also a good tip a member said was to have your seat a bit elevated if you have it in the lowest level to let cold air circulate around and get it up in the fan below the seat.

The way it functions makes sense as to why people are disappointed with how the cooked seats work. Thy work more like ventilated seats as it doesn’t actually produce cold air but takes it from the air already in the cabin.
Old 05-30-23, 06:12 AM
marcuslaw2
Rookie

Originally Posted by cvt
The way it functions makes sense as to why people are disappointed with how the cooked seats work. Thy work more like ventilated seats as it doesn’t actually produce cold air but takes it from the air already in the cabin.
Which is disappointing. My wife's ES350 has a similar feature but it actually cools the seat and you feel it almost immediately.
Old 06-05-23, 10:09 AM
x360box
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree on 15 - 20 improvement percentage
Old 06-05-23, 05:33 PM
SideOfRice
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Got mine today and I must say I don’t feel a difference. It is 85 degrees here in the Portland area and my car is in the shade. I had the AC on with 3 bar for blowing power and the ventilation seat on max setting with air blowing through the front vents and the feet. I sat in the driver seat for maybe 5 mins and felt no difference. I got out and adjusted the seats so that the new air duct is pointing right at the fan and didn’t feel a difference at all. Also I want to mention for us short leg folks (I’m 5’ 6”) once the seat is adjusted with the air flow blowing right at the fan my feet barely reaches the pedals (not sure if this is a laughing or crying emoji moment lol)
Old 06-06-23, 06:42 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Glad I printed these when the file was available for free. Can't say I noticed much of a difference, maybe slightly cooler air ( it didn't help airflow or thrust of air if that makes sense). The entire design of our seats suck for the heated and cooled feature. it's really a shame that Lexus didn't think it through. My wife's cooled seats in her Lexus blow air which is nice and can be felt.

I just drove a Land Rover Discovery in Croatia and was blown away by the heated and cooled seats. The cooled seats were ice cold. I had to turn it down it got so cold. The heated seats weren't just electric heat, rather it was blowing hot air up through the seats. It was wonderful. I hope Lexus gets better at certain things. Seems like the more I drive other vehicles, the more features I notice in Lexus to be really lacking or behind in compared to the rest of the industry... :-(

-Nigel
Old 06-06-23, 04:58 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by SideOfRice
Got mine today and I must say I don’t feel a difference. It is 85 degrees here in the Portland area and my car is in the shade. I had the AC on with 3 bar for blowing power and the ventilation seat on max setting with air blowing through the front vents and the feet. I sat in the driver seat for maybe 5 mins and felt no difference. I got out and adjusted the seats so that the new air duct is pointing right at the fan and didn’t feel a difference at all. Also I want to mention for us short leg folks (I’m 5’ 6”) once the seat is adjusted with the air flow blowing right at the fan my feet barely reaches the pedals (not sure if this is a laughing or crying emoji moment lol)
I feel it more when i'm at speed and not just sitting idle. The A/C works more efficiently that way.

After a few days with it I do feel the bottom cushion way more than the mid/lower back one.
SideOfRice (06-27-23)

Quick Reply: Seat AC duct review