RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

WTF moment: Honda CR-V messing with me on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 08:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts
Default WTF moment: Honda CR-V messing with me on the freeway

I was on the freeway today. I was in the middle lane cruising at around 70 mph. I see this red Honda CR-V coming up quickly in the left lane (fast lane/passing lane) and passes me. Must have been doing around 90 mph. Anyway, I kept cruising for another 10 minutes or so. Once I get the road open in front of me, there was a long row of cars on the lane on the right. I thought, I will accelerate a bit and then go in the right lane just before I have to take my exit. So, I drop it down from 8th to 3rd gear and accelerate winding out 3rd and then shift up to 4th and then I am already ahead of all of the cars on the right and find a big gap. The red CR-V that passed me, was still in the right lane and I blast past him. Anyway, I get into the right lane at around mid of 4th gear (you can calculate the speed). Anyway, I slow back down to 75 mph behind the 18-wheeler waiting to take my exit. While I am cruising behind the 18-wheeler, the CR-V comes fly up (now in the middle lane as I am in the rightmost lane) and gets next to me honking the horn 4 - 5 times (short honks). I ignore him and don't turn my head. I was wearing glasses so I saw the corner of my eye, the person was gesturing something. Anyway, the guy punches it and has his hazard lights flashing. I was taking the exit at the time so I just split and just accelerated away from him to the right.

Anyway, I have no idea what the CR-V guy was thinking. Was he seriously trying to challenge me to a race? Was he trying admire my RCF and honking as a form of being a fanboi? was he trying to taunt me (sour grapes or just hate) or just being plain stupid? Anyway, thought I would share this new story here.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-23 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (06-26-23)
Old 06-25-23, 10:41 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I was on the freeway today. I was in the middle lane cruising at around 78 mph. I see this red Honda CR-V coming up quickly in the left lane (fast lane/passing lane) and passes me. Must have been doing around 90 mph. Anyway, I kept cruising for another 10 minutes or so. Once I get the road open in front of me, there was a long row of cars on the lane on the right. I thought, I will accelerate a bit and then go in the right lane just before I have to take my exit. So, I drop it down from 8th to 3rd gear and accelerate winding out 3rd and then shift up to 4th and then I am already ahead of all of the cars on the right and find a big gap. The red CR-V that passed me, was still in the right lane and I blast past him. Anyway, I get into the right lane at around mid of 4th gear (you can calculate the speed). Anyway, I slow back down to 75 mph behind the 18-wheeler waiting to take my exit. While I am cruising behind the 18-wheeler, the CR-V comes fly up (now in the middle lane as I am in the rightmost lane) and gets next to me honking the horn 4 - 5 times (short honks). I ignore him and don't turn my head. I was wearing glasses so I saw the corner of my eye, the person was gesturing something. Anyway, the guy punches it and has his hazard lights flashing. I was taking the exit at the time so I just split and just accelerated away from him to the right.

Anyway, I have no idea what the CR-V guy was thinking. Was he seriously trying to challenge me to a race? Was he trying admire my RCF and honking as a form of being a fanboi? was he trying to taunt me (sour grapes or just hate) or just being plain stupid? Anyway, thought I would share this new story here.
He remembers you from high school…you owe him 3 toonies and some poutine from that ice fishing bet you lost after the hockey game.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvt:
05RollaXRS (06-26-23), AlexAviles (06-29-23)
Old 06-25-23, 10:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
He remembers you from high school…you owe him 3 toonies and some poutine from that ice fishing bet you lost after the hockey game.
LOL Very interesting reason.
cvt (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 05:29 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I would be willing to bet that most RCF drivers have a similar story. The "wanna be's" are everywhere and drive all sorts of lesser vehicles.

Last week for me was a V6 mustang with an exhaust....Very loud...not very fast...LOL
05RollaXRS (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 06:49 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Louczar1
I would be willing to bet that most RCF drivers have a similar story. The "wanna be's" are everywhere and drive all sorts of lesser vehicles.

Last week for me was a V6 mustang with an exhaust....Very loud...not very fast...LOL
Yeah, I would not be surprised as I come across those cases once in a while, but at least they have cars (Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, BMWs, STi etc.) that make them believe they could go up against something that looks flashier than their car (and much faster), BUT what baffles me is a Honda CR-V, of all vehicles LOL I mean, really? Something that has probably 1/5th the power to weight ratio and even in my 300 HP RX450h, I could walk away from...

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-23 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-26-23, 07:07 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The chargers and challengers are so much worse when I drive through Arkansas when driving through to vacation. It is ALWAYS when my wife is with me. She has MS and hard acceleration causes her to have dizzy spells. No racing with her in the car...
Old 06-26-23, 07:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The chargers and challengers are so much worse when I drive through Arkansas when driving through to vacation. It is ALWAYS when my wife is with me. She has MS and hard acceleration causes her to have dizzy spells. No racing with her in the car...
Agreed. there are those weird moments, but you somewhat expect it of them, but this was really something else LOL
Old 06-26-23, 09:58 AM
cvt
Racer

The "wanna be's" are everywhere and drive all sorts of lesser vehicles.
There's always a bigger fish....
05RollaXRS (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 10:03 AM
SideOfRice
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
This is too funny of a response lol

My only wtf moment was when I was approaching a red light and it turns green as I approached the line. I hit the gas and it jerked forward aggressively a bit before I let off the gas since I was in sport+ mode. Well, a nicely set up Mercedes to the right of me thought I wanted to race so he guns it and passes me as I’m still cruising appropriate speed. He then slows down and lines up with me honking three times before punching it again. I didn’t react since my daughter was with me. I look over to my daughter and I tell her this fool wants to race (she hates it when I drive aggressive) so I line back up with him and did a 50 roll. I take him easy and as we hit a red light again he rolls down his window to tell me my car sounds nice and is loud and fast(only Invidia catback) then proceeds to ask if it was turbo. I said no it’s a V8 so then he says “ohh you got the F-Sport!” Lol I don’t know what Mercedes he has since it was all de-badged but it was a clean setup.
Vitveet (06-29-23)
Old 06-26-23, 02:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SideOfRice
T it’s a V8 so then he says “ohh you got the F-Sport!” Lol I don’t know what Mercedes he has since it was all de-badged but it was a clean setup.
LOL...that is funny. So many people confuse F and F-Sport. I have both and the difference between my F and F-Sport is night/day.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-23 at 08:19 PM.
SideOfRice (06-27-23)
Old 06-28-23, 08:07 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

the funny thing is i come across the same scenarios in my IS, but i also think it confuses a lot of people being it is ultrasonic blue which is rare to come by with carbon coming out of the wazoo, debadged, quad exhaust (apexi), and F brembos... i don't usually give anyone the time or day because they want that reaction from you. i did have a pretty nice white c63s cabriolet give me a thumbs up and compliment me the other day though, those people i like!
Old 06-28-23, 08:19 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the funny thing is i come across the same scenarios in my IS, but i also think it confuses a lot of people being it is ultrasonic blue which is rare to come by with carbon coming out of the wazoo, debadged, quad exhaust (apexi), and F brembos... i don't usually give anyone the time or day because they want that reaction from you. i did have a pretty nice white c63s cabriolet give me a thumbs up and compliment me the other day though, those people i like!
Cool story. I have a 2019 IS350 F-Sport as well and it is very easy to be stealthy in my bone stock IS350 even with the Atomic Silver color being very nice. RCF on the other hand, gets all kinds of attention from weirdos.
Old 06-28-23, 04:29 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Who knows maybe that CRV has a built K20/24 in it and is the ultimate sleeper.

never judge a book by its cover.
The following 2 users liked this post by brendanf:
bbowaralk (07-28-23), Vitveet (06-29-23)
Old 06-28-23, 04:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf

As I mentioned, the driver punched it when I was taking the exit and it was the usual slow CR-V. Nothing different about it.
Old 06-28-23, 05:08 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by brendanf

Quick Reply: WTF moment: Honda CR-V messing with me on the freeway