RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 07:51 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Hello fellow ClubLexus users,
How many of you have installed the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator on your RCF? I have owned my RCF for eight and a half years and just installed it on my RCF. The first aftermarket part I have installed on it. Has anyone had any issues or problems with it? What is your opinion of the separator? Photo below is my RCF with the separator. I spent fifty dollars to powder coat the bracket to make it more stealth.

The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 08:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Hey, haven't heard from you for a bit Do you still have the LC❓ As for the RR catch can, I had one on my ISF. Never got the can full, but it did catch some oil. No problems with it A couple of years ago I tried to rig up something for my LC, but gave up No room under the hood for one. I may try again.

Lou
RCFGrandpa (07-03-23)
Old 07-02-23, 09:57 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
Hey, haven't heard from you for a bit Do you still have the LC❓ As for the RR catch can, I had one on my ISF. Never got the can full, but it did catch some oil. No problems with it A couple of years ago I tried to rig up something for my LC, but gave up No room under the hood for one. I may try again.

Lou
Hello Lou
Still have the LC with only 2,100 miles on it now. Was out for seven months due to surgery. I bought two kits, one for the RCF and one for the LC500. Like you said, no room for it. Got the RCF out today and put fifteen miles on it. What a great car. Put about ten miles on the LC500 last week. Two totally different cars.

05RollaXRS (07-02-23)
Old 07-03-23, 05:58 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

Since you barely drive, you'll probably never fill that up or only have to drain it occasionally. Shouldn't have any issues with it.

Mine fills up every session on the track, so I don't really trust the hoses to keep a good seal after repeated removals to drain. I slapped some clamps on the hose ends and get a perfect seal every time. Since someone will ask; I got a box of assorted sizes vacuum hose spring clamps off Amazon and it used some of the larger ones in the kit.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoSt180:
RCFGrandpa (07-03-23), RJMacReady (06-18-24)
Old 07-03-23, 07:52 AM
AML
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

What are the benefits of the catch can for the RC F? My last car was direct injection only and catch cans were used in the community to delay (not eliminate) carbon cleanings. What benefit do they bring for the RC F since it uses both direct and port injection?
RCFGrandpa (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 09:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RCFGrandpa
Hello Lou
Still have the LC with only 2,100 miles on it now. Was out for seven months due to surgery.
Hope your recovery went well. I guess that's part of life for us old geezers

Lou
RCFGrandpa (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 10:04 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by AML
What are the benefits of the catch can for the RC F? My last car was direct injection only and catch cans were used in the community to delay (not eliminate) carbon cleanings. What benefit do they bring for the RC F since it uses both direct and port injection?
I think it prevents the oil going back into the engine through the PCV.
RCFGrandpa (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 12:13 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by AML
From the site..

The RCF & GSF Air/Oil Separator is a by product of our F track development program. During on track testing and data logging, it became clear that the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) was allowing for significant ingestion of oil into the engine. Oil ingestion results in ignition retard due to the low octane of engine oil as it burns up. Additionally, oil burning in the engine results in carbon deposits on the intake valves, pistons, and combustion chamber which further increases the propensity for power-robbing detonation. You don't have to take your IS-F to the track to benefit from our Air/Oil Separator. Anyone who drives aggressively on twisty roads with hard acceleration and deceleration will benefit from avoiding oil ingestion into the engine.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
05RollaXRS (07-03-23), RCFGrandpa (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 02:39 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Since you barely drive, you'll probably never fill that up or only have to drain it occasionally. Shouldn't have any issues with it.

Mine fills up every session on the track, so I don't really trust the hoses to keep a good seal after repeated removals to drain. I slapped some clamps on the hose ends and get a perfect seal every time. Since someone will ask; I got a box of assorted sizes vacuum hose spring clamps off Amazon and it used some of the larger ones in the kit.

I wondered about the hoses needing clamps at the oil separation unit. Could you please send me a link for those clamps on Amazon? When I took off the pcv hose at the engine, I had some oil there. The research I did seemed that this separator has great reviews. Why this design on the 2UR-GSE engine, pollution control? Seems like a flaw to me but I’m not an engineer. Common sense says that you don’t put oil back into the combustion chamber to burn.
Old 07-03-23, 08:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You can use a small adjustable hose clamp. I usually use this type:

Amazon Amazon

They came in all sizes.
Old 07-03-23, 09:40 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Thank You

^^^^You can use a small adjustable hose clamp. I usually use this type:

https://www.amazon.com/ZYYC-Adjustab...s%2C151&sr=8-8

They came in all sizes.
Just ordered them, thanks sickpuppy
Old 07-04-23, 09:39 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Worm clamps are completely overkill for this application, you want oem style spring clamps. I guess key words weren't enough, so here's a link: Hilitchi 72 pcs Spring Band Type...
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-23, 11:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yep, those are OK, but as I recall they need a special tool to open for installation. Installing with just a pair of pliers is darn near impossible, AMHIK The worm type maybe overkill, but they work just fine

This Tool:

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-23, 01:23 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

^^^^Yep, those are OK, but as I recall they need a special tool to open for installation. Installing with just a pair of pliers is darn near impossible, AMHIK The worm type maybe overkill, but they work just fine

This Tool:
I use regular old pliers on them. They aren't the high tension locking type that need that wierd tool you linked. Pair of gloves and pliers is all I need to empty the tank at the track. I wouldn't use anything that needs to fiddle with tools or screwdrivers, whole point is to be easy.
Old 07-04-23, 03:08 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Worm clamps are completely overkill for this application, you want oem style spring clamps. I guess key words weren't enough, so here's a link: Hilitchi 72 pcs Spring Band Type... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M61J6WA...p_mob_ap_share
this is actually what I purchased from Amazon.

LoSt180 (07-04-23)

Quick Reply: RR Racing Air/Oil Separator