RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rear active spoiler malfunction (2015 RC F)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 09:48 PM
Pachya
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear active spoiler malfunction (2015 RC F)

Hello,
Idk how to start this so here it goes, in the last couple months I have realized that on the dash the rear spoiler is always up, I checked in the settings to make sure the active spoiler is on. So today I finally disassembled the wing and noticed couple things. The first thing was that the left side adjustment screws where at 6mm and the right where at 4mm. So I raised the right side to make it the same at 6mm. Then with the spoiler off, I can see the mounts go up and down when I push the wing button and also when I drive I can see on the dash that it's being active. However when I put the wing back up I noticed that it would go down easily but going up it would struggle and then say malfunction with wing see dealership. I also figured out the thick red and black wires are for the power so I back probed them and using a spare car battery I would see the going down is smooth but going up it struggles and doesn't even go all the way up. My question is, has anyone had the motor go bad on there's and is my thinking that it's the motor in the correct path of trouble shooting, or could there be something else im missing?
Old 07-30-23, 12:16 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car if you don't mind me asking. This is a well known issue with the 2015s.
Old 07-30-23, 12:33 AM
Pachya
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cvt
How many miles do you have on the car if you don't mind me asking. This is a well known issue with the 2015s.
71,000miles and it is a know issue well that is nice to know. Thank you
Old 07-30-23, 02:25 AM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Pachya
71,000miles and it is a know issue well that is nice to know. Thank you
TSB attachment is post #65.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...tioning-5.html
Old 08-01-23, 03:36 PM
randbrus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt

I think this is for the ECU component of the rear wing. I have the same symptoms as you, minus the trouble codes. I am about to replace the motor on mine. I'll do it this weekend as it's pretty simple replacement.
Old 08-02-23, 12:08 AM
Pachya
4th Gear

Originally Posted by randbrus
I think this is for the ECU component of the rear wing. I have the same symptoms as you, minus the trouble codes. I am about to replace the motor on mine. I'll do it this weekend as it's pretty simple replacement.
Once you replace it could you let us know please if that helped?
Old 08-02-23, 11:55 AM
randbrus
Driver

Originally Posted by Pachya
Once you replace it could you let us know please if that helped?
Yes, once I get it in and get it replaced, I'll let you know. I replaced the ECU with the newest one and that didn't help. I do think the motor is coming apart.

Old 08-06-23, 03:53 PM
randbrus
Driver

I should be getting the motor in this week.
Old 08-06-23, 07:30 PM
cvt
Racer

I should be getting the motor in this week.
Please take some photos of the install kind sir. There are quite a few 15’ owners here and would like an instructional. 🙏🏼
Old 08-13-23, 01:46 PM
randbrus
Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
Please take some photos of the install kind sir. There are quite a few 15’ owners here and would like an instructional. 🙏🏼

​​​​​​I replaced the motor and spoiler is fully functional. No more issues with it going up or down or clunking noises. I took some pictures which I'll upload later. It's not nearly the amount of pictures I wanted to take. It was about 115 in my garage. Live in Texas.
The following users liked this post:
cvt (08-13-23)
Old 08-13-23, 06:33 PM
cvt
Racer

​​​​​​I replaced the motor and spoiler is fully functional. No more issues with it going up or down or clunking noises. I took some pictures which I'll upload later. It's not nearly the amount of pictures I wanted to take. It was about 115 in my garage. Live in Texas.
If you don’t mind me asking how much for the motor and was it a hard install?
Old 08-13-23, 07:32 PM
randbrus
Driver

I paid 283 for the motor. It's really more time taking nuts off off to release the motor. 3/10.

​​​​​​

I'll start as if you've removed the spoiler. After you take the trunk lining off you will need to remove all the nuts. This is what holds the plastic lining under the spoiler.

The plastic piece I'm talking about. The motor is attached to this, so you will want to unplug the motor before this step.

Motor attached to plastic part

The motor is under this gear assembly. You have to unbolt and unscrew to get the motor out. I'll take it apart again to get better pictures. It was just so hot i was in a rush.

Last edited by randbrus; 08-13-23 at 07:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by randbrus:
cvt (08-14-23), MCB1970 (08-14-23), Pachya (08-14-23)
Old 08-14-23, 02:47 PM
cvt
Racer

I paid 283 for the motor. It's really more time taking nuts off off to release the motor. 3/10.

​​​​​​

I'll start as if you've removed the spoiler. After you take the trunk lining off you will need to remove all the nuts. This is what holds the plastic lining under the spoiler.

The plastic piece I'm talking about. The motor is attached to this, so you will want to unplug the motor before this step.

Motor attached to plastic part

The motor is under this gear assembly. You have to unbolt and unscrew to get the motor out. I'll take it apart again to get better pictures. It was just so hot i was in a rush.
Wow...looks...simple-ish...lol. I installed the illuminated door sills and having to wire to the power so i figure this is not as involved.

What is the part number for the motor?
Old 08-14-23, 06:56 PM
randbrus
Driver

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...760-24010.html

If you have questions PM and I'll help the best I can until I can take it apart again.
Old 08-14-23, 07:00 PM
randbrus
Driver

Here is the motor. The round silver part is what went bad. You can see the grease coming out of it. It actually came off and putting it back on never really fixed it.

The following users liked this post:
cvt (08-14-23)

Quick Reply: Rear active spoiler malfunction (2015 RC F)