RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Wheel cleeaner for brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23 | 03:47 PM
dagored
Driver

Default RC F Wheel cleeaner for brake dust

Hi All,
My 2019 RC F gets the usual brake dust from routine driving. First time I hosed the wheels off it took me forever to get the dust off the driveway. What are the rest of you using to clean the brake dust/wheels? Hopefully something I can spray on then wash off, in the gutter, with a high pressure nozzle on my garden hose.
Thanks,
DR4
Old 10-02-23 | 04:39 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Honestly, I had my wheels ceramic coated. Takes 90% of it off with a pressure washer.

The last bit I use a "wheel gerbil" for getting into the tight areas to loosen it up.

Sonax also makes a great cleaning chemical for wheels. It is not cheap but it works great.
Old 10-02-23 | 08:02 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter
CL Folding 1M

Definitely swap out for carbon ceramics, way less dust
Old 10-03-23 | 04:44 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by brendanf
Sonax also makes a great cleaning chemical for wheels. It is not cheap but it works great.
A coworker just told me he uses the same stuff. He has a C8 vette and a C63 Benz and his wheels are always super clean. He said he gets about 4 washes out of the bottle
Old 10-03-23 | 07:02 AM
BrandonX
Driver

Really like P&S Brake Buster. Can get a gallon for $30 and even dilute.

Works like a charm, a lot of detailers recommend it.
Old 10-03-23 | 07:33 PM
UFOHunter
Driver

Man, I have been trying to clean my dirty *** wheels for the longest time. All the spokes make it a nightmare to clean hah!

I picked this up last week and it works pretty well. I just didn’t pay ask much attention to detail when cleaning, but it definitely help remove the caked up dust. Just be prepared to scrub every nook and cranny.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/decon-p...n-remover.html
The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23 | 01:20 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

I waited far too long to upgrade to Toms pads. The brake dust it terrible for the wheels and prematurely wears the finish from cleaning with chemicals so much. Trust me when I say the best wheel cleaner is upgrading to better pads with less dust and noise. If I could go back, it would be the second thing I'd do. Exhaust is still first of course.
Old 10-04-23 | 08:38 PM
UFOHunter
Driver

Hey hey, did a deep wash today and did some product tests. Validity of the test is completely up to you, but just know the brake dust on my wheels are super baked and needs professional help. If your wheels are like mine, you’re gonna have to get a scrub pad (I use Scotch Brite non-scratch) and put in some elbow grease to get the baked dust layer off.

Here is the test I did.

Test:
Massage each product into the test area for 2 minutes with an electric toothbrush. I did not dilute the products.

Products tested: +Dawn Dishsoap

Before and After:

1. Meguilar Hot Rims Black Wheel Cleaner

2. Chemical Bros Signature Wheel Cleaner

3. Chemical Bros Diablo Wheel Cleaner

4. Chemical Bros Decon Iron

5. Dawn Dish Soap

Summary:
If your wheels aren’t as horrible as mine, this is how I would categorize the products.

Deep Clean
Chemical Bros Iron Decon

Semi Deep Clean
Chemical Bros Diablo Cleaner

Regular Wash
Meguilars Black Wheel Cleaner
Chemical Bros Signature Wheel Cleaner

Ceramic Coating is a worthy investment if you want to keep your cleaning time down. Brake pad upgrades to even further reduce cleaning time. (Endless or Project Mu are on my roadmap.)

A bit of useless information, but I suppose this is a maiden’s tale on keeping your wheels clean haha. This is only like 2 months of neglect and 1 track event. Spirited drives in 110F definitely contributed.
Old 10-04-23 | 10:28 PM
stag3
Driver

I use sonax, it's spendy tho
Old 10-05-23 | 11:39 AM
corolla6mt
Driver

After a regular wash and hose down of my wheels, I use Kirkland Baby wipes, no kidding. The mild fibers gets everything out.

Louczar1 (10-06-23)
Old 10-05-23 | 03:23 PM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Amazon Amazon

MEGUIAR'S D14301 Non Acid Tire & Wheel Cleaner, 1 Gallon, 128. Fluid_Ounces

Last edited by Toprawman; 10-05-23 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-23 | 06:28 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by corolla6mt
After a regular wash and hose down of my wheels, I use Kirkland Baby wipes, no kidding. The mild fibers gets everything out.
That is a great idea. I was taught years back to use a wet fabric softener dryer sheet to clean the bugs off of my sportbike. It worked really good and no scratches. I will have to try the baby wipes this weekend and see how it works out. Thanks!
corolla6mt (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23 | 04:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

I'm using the P&S Brake Buster wheel cleaner...safe on paint. I'm very happy with it, and the price is better than competing products by Chemical Guys. I also use the Barrel Blade to clean into the wheel and between the spokes. Hit the wheels with a power washer, spray the brake buster on the spokes/calipers, then brush w/ barrel blade a detail brush. Dress tires w/ Chem Guys V.R.P. I also highly recommend a good foam gun, esp. if you have multiple cars to wash. No more trips to the bucket for soap!

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by V8_Fan; 10-08-23 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-09-23 | 07:51 AM
dagored
Driver

Thanks for all you RC F lovers feedback. Someone mentioned switching the pads out to ceramic type pads. Any feed back on what that does to the stock rotors? I don't race my RC F and only drive about 5k-6k miles a year of which about half is around town and half on the Turnpike here in Florida.
Thanx
DR 4
Old 10-10-23 | 01:15 PM
Jackal44
Driver

I use Adams wheel cleaner. If you are sensitive to smells I would avoid this one though as it is a fairly toxic smell. Any cleaners that have iron removers in them will have the same smell. Spray on, let it turn purple, and spray off.

Quick Reply: RC F Wheel cleeaner for brake dust