RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Is there a place I can rent a non speedway edition RCF in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 08:16 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 5LiterAppreciator
Excellent! Same page, and that’s good feedback on the tvd. When I try the Fuji car it will have it so I’ll get to experience it and see if I like it! Thanks for all the info!
The FSW/TE comes with Torsen LSD, but yeah I would say go ahead and rent it. It will allow you to learn the platform, nonetheless. Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
5LiterAppreciator (11-22-23)
Old 11-23-23, 06:41 AM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a 2015 RC F and moved on to a TE/Fuji, there is a noticeable difference in power and agility, mainly due to the improved differential, weight loss and carbon ceramic rotors.

If you gonna test a Fuji and buy a 2015, it will be noticeable but if you buy a 2020+ RC F, they all have the same improved differential so the difference will be smaller.

Still the Fuji should give you a good taste if you subtract maybe 10-15% from the experience.

Also maybe try Carmax? They will allow extended self test drives and some Lexus or even independent dealers will too, I have test driven multiple cars like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by CrimsonF:
5LiterAppreciator (11-23-23), TheCatLoaf (11-23-23)
Old 11-23-23, 06:09 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonF
I had a 2015 RC F and moved on to a TE/Fuji, there is a noticeable difference in power and agility, mainly due to the improved differential, weight loss and carbon ceramic rotors.

If you gonna test a Fuji and buy a 2015, it will be noticeable but if you buy a 2020+ RC F, they all have the same improved differential so the difference will be smaller.

Still the Fuji should give you a good taste if you subtract maybe 10-15% from the experience.

Also maybe try Carmax? They will allow extended self test drives and some Lexus or even independent dealers will too, I have test driven multiple cars like that.
What is the difference in differentials? Don’t they both use the same Torsten LSD?
Old 11-23-23, 06:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
What is the difference in differentials? Don’t they both use the same Torsten LSD?
He means the final drive ratio. The final drive ratio was slightly shortened from 2.97:1 in the 2015 - 2019 to 3.13:1 in the 2020+

In theory, having a slightly shorter final drive ratio helps midrange response especially part-throttle and torque in lower gears (and could improve 0-60 mph) while taller gears are better optimized for higher speed acceleration (like acceleration to 130 mph, 150 mph etc.)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-23-23 at 07:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
5LiterAppreciator (11-23-23), cvt (11-23-23)
Old 11-25-23, 10:50 PM
coralchpr
Driver

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually owned both for about a month (2019 PP2). I thought the PP2 was going to be my track weapon, but it ended up only being slightly faster than my RCF with crappy tires. Just couldn't get comfortable in the Stang. The shifting was horrible, kept bumping my elbows in to the recaro seats, lots of grip from the fat PS4S but was hard to read, and the differential overheated every session. I did not enjoy it on the track at all. Around town, the Stang sounded as a muscle car should, but was a lot of effort to drive.

If you absolutely need to go faster, I'm sure it can be done in a Mustang. However, the RCF is handsdown the more pleasurable car to own and drive for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by coralchpr:
05RollaXRS (11-25-23), KennyFSU (11-26-23), RCF93til (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 04:10 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coralchpr
I actually owned both for about a month (2019 PP2). I thought the PP2 was going to be my track weapon, but it ended up only being slightly faster than my RCF with crappy tires. Just couldn't get comfortable in the Stang. The shifting was horrible, kept bumping my elbows in to the recaro seats, lots of grip from the fat PS4S but was hard to read, and the differential overheated every session. I did not enjoy it on the track at all. Around town, the Stang sounded as a muscle car should, but was a lot of effort to drive.

If you absolutely need to go faster, I'm sure it can be done in a Mustang. However, the RCF is handsdown the more pleasurable car to own and drive for me.

yeah I’d imagine an mt82 and recaro equppped STANG would not be the most fun daily. Admittedly if I did get another STANG it’d be a Mach 1 premium with 10 speed so none of those issues. But yeah even in my own brief test drive that was too brief to know if I could be won over I felt so “hugged” for lack of a better term driving the RCF. It could be a nice loud V8 coupe when I put my foot down but it could also just be a comfortable chill car too.

In an ideal world I’d combine the attributes I like of both cars. Maybe an S550 platform manufactured by Toyota with Lexus interior and luxery features, ford 8” touch screen, both Lexus and Ford Performance tuned suspension, the coyote (tho I’d be fine with the Lexus 5.0 too) and the Lexus 8 speed. That’d be like the perfect car for me. 😆 But alas I must choose spicey and risk a car that breaks more or choose comfort and reliable but a car that I have a little less heritage connection to and more of an attachment based on characteristics. It’s a tuff call for me.
Old 11-26-23, 08:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

yeah I’d imagine an mt82 and recaro equppped STANG would not be the most fun daily. Admittedly if I did get another STANG it’d be a Mach 1 premium with 10 speed so none of those issues. But yeah even in my own brief test drive that was too brief to know if I could be won over I felt so “hugged” for lack of a better term driving the RCF. It could be a nice loud V8 coupe when I put my foot down but it could also just be a comfortable chill car too.

In an ideal world I’d combine the attributes I like of both cars. Maybe an S550 platform manufactured by Toyota with Lexus interior and luxery features, ford 8” touch screen, both Lexus and Ford Performance tuned suspension, the coyote (tho I’d be fine with the Lexus 5.0 too) and the Lexus 8 speed. That’d be like the perfect car for me. 😆 But alas I must choose spicey and risk a car that breaks more or choose comfort and reliable but a car that I have a little less heritage connection to and more of an attachment based on characteristics. It’s a tuff call for me.
@coralchpr Raised a good point. We have a lot of cooling systems stock on the car. Engine, oil, brake and transmission coolers. Not sure if our diff has a cooler, but never heard of the differential (TVD or LSD) overheating. Basically, Topher channel did hotlaps with an RCF all day at the Gingerman raceway. The Acura NSX started overheating and went into limp mode while the RCF continued hotlapping until they decided to call it a day.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
5LiterAppreciator (11-26-23), coralchpr (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 09:31 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
@coralchpr Raised a good point. We have a lot of cooling systems stock on the car. Engine, oil, brake and transmission coolers. Not sure if our diff has a cooler, but never heard of the differential (TVD or LSD) overheating. Basically, Topher channel did hotlaps with an RCF all day at the Gingerman raceway. The Acura NSX started overheating and went into limp mode while the RCF continued hotlapping until they decided to call it a day.
yeah any mustang that isn’t a Mach or a Shelby is undercooled for track use. I’ve never had an issue going 8-9 tenths the entirety of Angeles crest but that’s not as intense as a track day.
05RollaXRS (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 09:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

yeah any mustang that isn’t a Mach or a Shelby is undercooled for track use. I’ve never had an issue going 8-9 tenths the entirety of Angeles crest but that’s not as intense as a track day.
Yeah, totally different ballgame since on the track, you are hitting 120, 130 or even 140+ mph on the back straights before you stand on the brakes in the braking zone depending on the configuration and size of the track. Everything is getting way more stressed.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-26-23 at 09:53 PM.
5LiterAppreciator (11-26-23)
Old 11-27-23, 06:51 AM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Id get a Shelby GT350 and call it a day.

Last edited by 07LXgs350; 11-27-23 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-27-23, 10:37 AM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
Id get a Shelby GT350 and call it a day.
I am getting out of my example of 5.0 because it hasn’t been reliable at all. As cool as they are no way I want to get into one of those time bombs.
05RollaXRS (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 11:25 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
Id get a Shelby GT350 and call a tow truck.
Fixed it for you.
Old 11-27-23, 11:35 AM
coralchpr
Driver

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

I am getting out of my example of 5.0 because it hasn’t been reliable at all. As cool as they are no way I want to get into one of those time bombs.
That's what I've heard as well. That engine is not reliable when driven hard...So, figured I'd get the "track package" GT PP2... which overheats in less than one session, lol.
05RollaXRS (11-27-23)