RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Is there a place I can rent a non speedway edition RCF in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 09:25 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is there a place I can rent a non speedway edition RCF in SoCal?

Hello,

I live in so cal, specifically the inland empire and San Diego area. I’d like to get to spend a full day or at least a few hours with an RCF. Ideally standard dif (not TVD). I test drove one and while I liked it it hasn’t fully converted me from team Mustang. I also couldn’t really put it through its paces on that short drive to see if it can convert me from my beloved but buggy s550 platform. However, I want to give it a full chance and get to put one through its paces a bit (I am not talking about drifting it and being stupid with a car I don’t own. Just some fast cornering and pulls in both manual and auto mode). Obviously Turo is the first thing that comes to mind but all I could find was a Fuji Speedway Edition one. Those aren’t in the cards tho and I want to feel one like I’d actually buy. Do you guys have any thoughts on where I could get some seat time in one within a few hours of the ie or San Diego? Thanks!
Old 11-20-23, 09:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

It is a jekyll/hyde car. It is going to transform based on how you drive it. If you put it in SPORT+/MANUAL mode and if it has TVD then in SLALOM mode and push, the car transforms completely. If you put it in ECO or NORMAL or even SPORT mode while cruising around, it will become withdrawn, so to speak. If you go fast through a set of windy roads, downshifting/upshifting with those modes on, it really wakes up and everything really sharpens up dramatically (or at least, it does in my almost-new RCF).

Regarding your question about renting an RCF TE, I strongly doubt you will find one on Turo etc. since there are very few of them. Maybe, if you talk to a dealership and ask them to let you drive one for a few hours? Or you could meet up with someone local to you who owns one and can take you for a drive? Those might be your best bet.
The following users liked this post:
5LiterAppreciator (11-20-23)
Old 11-20-23, 09:58 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

oh I can already tell it was a layered car which was very cool! Yeah trying to get a longer test drive from a dealer would be a little tricky. I will say that anyone who’s down I am down when it comes to socal meet ups.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is a jekyll/hyde car. It is going to transform based on how you drive it. If you put it in SPORT+/MANUAL mode and if it has TVD then in SLALOM mode and push, the car transforms completely. If you put it in ECO or NORMAL or even SPORT mode while cruising around, it will become withdrawn, so to speak. If you go fast through a set of windy roads, downshifting/upshifting with those modes on, it really wakes up and everything really sharpens up dramatically (or at least, it does in my almost-new RCF).

Regarding your question about renting an RCF TE, I strongly doubt you will find one on Turo etc. since there are very few of them. Maybe, if you talk to a dealership and ask them to let you drive one for a few hours? Or you could meet up with someone local to you who owns one and can take you for a drive? Those might be your best bet.
05RollaXRS (11-20-23)
Old 11-20-23, 10:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5LiterAppreciator
oh I can already tell it was a layered car which was very cool! Yeah trying to get a longer test drive from a dealer would be a little tricky. I will say that anyone who’s down I am down when it comes to socal meet ups.
Yeah, I am sure someone in Socal would offer you that as there are lots of RCF TE owners in SoCal.
5LiterAppreciator (11-20-23)
Old 11-21-23, 04:54 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 214 Posts

Have you tried searching on the Turo app? Lots of fun cars to rent on there.
5LiterAppreciator (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 10:16 AM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Have you tried searching on the Turo app? Lots of fun cars to rent on there.
I have but all I saw in so cal was a Fuji speedway model.
Old 11-21-23, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have but all I saw in so cal was a Fuji speedway model.
RCFs are rare so the probability of finding them on Turo and other such sites, is going to be difficult. Your best bet would be to find an RCF owner in SoCal and have that person put it through its paces and also let you drive it as well. There is an F owner Facebook where you can check if someone in SoCal could meet with you.
Old 11-21-23, 02:39 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Just rent the Fuji. Between all trim levels there is no difference you can notice on the roads, maybe slightly on track, if you're fast enough that is. No need to drive it in auto at all. make sure its warmed up so the car gives you full power and full transmission capabilities and rip it to the redline.
Old 11-21-23, 03:25 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
Just rent the Fuji. Between all trim levels there is no difference you can notice on the roads, maybe slightly on track, if you're fast enough that is. No need to drive it in auto at all. make sure it’s warmed up so the car gives you full power and full transmission capabilities and rip it to the redline.
but will it feel sharper? I ask because that’s what I am worrying about sacrificing switching from mustang to RCF if I did that.
Old 11-21-23, 05:00 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

I think you'll have a hard time finding an owner to lend a stranger their RCF to put it through its paces. If the test drive didn't sell you and you still have apprehensions then I say go with the Mustang. You buy these cars with your heart and not with your mind. No one buys 4,000lbs performance / luxury cars because it makes sense...lol.
Old 11-21-23, 05:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

but will it feel sharper? I ask because that’s what I am worrying about sacrificing switching from mustang to RCF if I did that.
The real gains will be in quality, durability, reliability, fit, finish, resale and sophistication in how the car drives compared to your Mustang GT. I also think the 2UR engine feels more like a smaller displacement sport bike like engine while the Coyote engine feels like a burly and brawny muscle car engine despite similar power. It will be more or less a lateral move performance wise. We did not buy the RCF over the Mustang GT to get a better performing car, but more for the things I mentioned above. Purely on the subjective experience level of the three trim levels, there will be small differences between the three.

LSD RCF = The simplest and most affordable version of the RCF. Some people also like to not worry about risk of an expensive part like TVD having issues (no one ever had TVD issues, but it is a very expensive part)

TVD RCF = Mine is this one with the carbon fiber on it. It feels very sharp with my own 7+ years of experience given it has a good set of tires. I cannot compare it to a TE as I never have driven a TE. However, the steering and chassis response is phenomenal as it makes the car feel very light on its feet and responsive steering wise. 1.3 - 1.4g instantaneous turns are very common on the G-meter in high speed turns. If you lived close-by, I would have given you a ride and pushed it quite a bit.

TE/FSW RCF = The top trim in the sense it has weight reduction of about 4% down, has carbon fiber wing, carbon ceramic brakes, lighter wheels etc. and comes with the standard LSD in the base RCF. Closest rival would be the Mach 1 for this one. The weight reduction will definitely have some effect in how the car behaves on the streets, but not a huge difference. CCB are mostly for repeated hard braking without fade so they will brake on the street in a similar manner.

At the end of the day, you will feel some differences between the three trim levels, but nothing huge. If you drive a TE/FSW, the other trim levels won't feel drastically different. They are 96% the same car so logically there cannot be that big a difference.

Regarding your comparison with non-PP2 Mustang GT, RCF in comparison testing RCF did have more sharper, more responsive feel. Since the PP2 comes in 6 speed manual only, I am going to guess you don't have a PP2 so that means RCF chassis/suspension should feel more sharper, responsive than the standard non-PP2 Mustang GT (as the review below has non-PP2 Mustang GT).

I just was watching the C&D 0-150-0 mph the newest Mustang GT Dark Horse is 4030 lbs or something like that so the weight of the RCF is a non-issue in today's world especially considering it is 185 inches long so in a much more compact chassis.
​​​​
Here are a couple of comparisons of Mustang S550 vs RCF (first one is a Euro-spec TVD RCF and the next one is a TE RCF)

This is a great example of how capable RCF is on the track in the hands of pro Finnish rally driver.

Nearly stock RCF TE runs a 7:49 around Nurburgring with traffic and a non-pro driver

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-21-23 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-21-23, 08:47 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

The real gains will be in quality, durability, reliability, fit, finish, resale and sophistication in how the car drives compared to your Mustang GT. I also think the 2UR engine feels more like a smaller displacement sport bike like engine while the Coyote engine feels like a burly and brawny muscle car engine despite similar power. It will be more or less a lateral move performance wise. We did not buy the RCF over the Mustang GT to get a better performing car, but more for the things I mentioned above. Purely on the subjective experience level of the three trim levels, there will be small differences between the three.

LSD RCF = The simplest and most affordable version of the RCF. Some people also like to not worry about risk of an expensive part like TVD having issues (no one ever had TVD issues, but it is a very expensive part)

TVD RCF = Mine is this one with the carbon fiber on it. It feels very sharp with my own 7+ years of experience given it has a good set of tires. I cannot compare it to a TE as I never have driven a TE. However, the steering and chassis response is phenomenal as it makes the car feel very light on its feet and responsive steering wise. 1.3 - 1.4g instantaneous turns are very common on the G-meter in high speed turns. If you lived close-by, I would have given you a ride and pushed it quite a bit.

TE/FSW RCF = The top trim in the sense it has weight reduction of about 4% down, has carbon fiber wing, carbon ceramic brakes, lighter wheels etc. and comes with the standard LSD in the base RCF. Closest rival would be the Mach 1 for this one. The weight reduction will definitely have some effect in how the car behaves on the streets, but not a huge difference. CCB are mostly for repeated hard braking without fade so they will brake on the street in a similar manner.

At the end of the day, you will feel some differences between the three trim levels, but nothing huge. If you drive a TE/FSW, the other trim levels won't feel drastically different. They are 96% the same car so logically there cannot be that big a difference.

Regarding your comparison with non-PP2 Mustang GT, RCF in comparison testing RCF did have more sharper, more responsive feel. Since the PP2 comes in 6 speed manual only, I am going to guess you don't have a PP2 so that means RCF chassis/suspension should feel more sharper, responsive than the standard non-PP2 Mustang GT (as the review below has non-PP2 Mustang GT).

I just was watching the C&D 0-150-0 mph the newest Mustang GT Dark Horse is 4030 lbs or something like that so the weight of the RCF is a non-issue in today's world especially considering it is 185 inches long so in a much more compact chassis.
​​​​
Here are a couple of comparisons of Mustang S550 vs RCF (first one is a Euro-spec TVD RCF and the next one is a TE RCF)

Lexus RC F Track Pack vs Ford Mustang GT | PistonHeads - YouTube

V8 RIVALS! 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 vs Lexus RCF Track Edition - YouTube

This is a great example of how capable RCF is on the track in the hands of pro Finnish rally driver.

RCF in FSW Heikki Kovalainen driving - YouTube

Nearly stock RCF TE runs a 7:49 around Nurburgring with traffic and a non-pro driver

Lexus RCF Track Edition Nordschleife BTG 07:49,788 - YouTube

Oh for sure. And makes sense. Again still worry a little bit since I could even tell from a test drive that a Mach 1 is sharper than my car. But yes it’s not night and day on the road between those two and it’s probably the same thing with the RCF trims. The two cars I am ultimately cross shopping are a Mach 1 (most likely non handling package) and RCF (leaning toward non tvd if I can since I’ve heard it feels more natural). I def felt what you were talking about in the test drive. Similarities in that you have to rev the engines a bit but the Lexus 5.0 was maybe more snappy vs lopey in terms of power delivery. Also the RCF is more dual personality. But again since I have a platform I love in every way except reliability I need to see if I’d be happy switching cars which is why I need that prolonged test. If no one is down for a socal meetup I’ll probably just rent that Fuji car. Also thanks for those resources. They are all great (I know because I’ve watched them all as part of my research). My sharpness and performance comments were more related to a Mach 1 comparison. (Which Jack from savage geese when I asked him about it basically said anything Mach 1 or higher is gonna be more track ready then a non Fuji). Ultimately it comes back to what flavor of revy 5.0 do I want. The one that young me would want that fulfills the america Muscle dreams of my childhood or the slight variation that a nicer car 😉
Old 11-21-23, 08:50 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cvt
I think you'll have a hard time finding an owner to lend a stranger their RCF to put it through its paces. If the test drive didn't sell you and you still have apprehensions then I say go with the Mustang. You buy these cars with your heart and not with your mind. No one buys 4,000lbs performance / luxury cars because it makes sense...lol.
You make a great point! I am seeing if my heart can get into it. I’ll certainly say Lexus 5.0 cars are up there with mopar muscle and 5.0 and 5.2 fords for me. My heart likes them. As much as there is a rational choice on such a not rational segment the Lexus is that choice. I still am a little stuck on the idea of potential of the s550 and the American heritage but I am seeing if I can sway it (or if I did go the STANG rout again and I had a second pile then I’d come running the arms of Lexus with joy) XD. But yes ultimately it’s a heart choice as much as head
Old 11-21-23, 09:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The two cars I am ultimately cross shopping are a Mach 1 (most likely non handling package) and RCF (leaning toward non tvd if I can since I’ve heard it feels more natural).
I would say, test drive both. TVD and LSD, if you can. Don't let subjective opinions make you rule out one or the other. I have owned a TVD RCF and that whole "natural" thing never made any sense in the 7+ years I have owned it for. It tends to imply that TVD has something artifical about it when it is a proactive system that in real-time is making the car do exactly what you want it to. The carbon fiber roof also adds more rigidity and lowers center of gravity by taking weight off the furthest point from the contact patch. That is my experience. It just makes the car more tossable and eager in transitions. It makes the car feel like a shorter wheelbase, smaller and lighter car. The steering feels faster with a quick nose response (depending on the mode selected) and it wants to kick the tail out powering it in SLALOM mode on-throttle. In TRACK mode, it is more focused on stability and balance. Nothing wrong with a car having a very sharp throttle in turns (with the motors in the back) and a fast steering with a very lively/tail happy behavior. TVD locking is just 1/1000th of a second making it nearly instantaneous. If you do test drive both, use the TRACK and SLALOM mode in the CF RCF.

I def felt what you were talking about in the test drive. Similarities in that you have to rev the engines a bit but the Lexus 5.0 was maybe more snappy vs lopey in terms of power delivery.
Yes, I believe the 2UR has lighter internals and wants to rev more easily especially in SPORT+/MANUAL mode. It does not have much torque below 4000 rpm, but it does seem to rev very easily and is zingy. Also, the powerband is very linear all the way to redline.

I’ll probably just rent that Fuji car.
It will give you a good idea of how the car is like to drive and live with.

My sharpness and performance comments were more related to a Mach 1 comparison. (Which Jack from savage geese when I asked him about it basically said anything Mach 1 or higher is gonna be more track ready then a non Fuji).
Yes, that would be a correct statement. The Mach 1 especially with the performance package is more of a TE/FSW competitor. The TE/FSW comes with the same PS4S tires I have so it does not have slicks on them. The other variants of RCF might possibly be closer to the non-performance package Mach 1 without those super sticky tires and the other upgrades.

Here is a good POV video of spirited driving on windy roads

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-21-23 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-21-23, 11:13 PM
5LiterAppreciator
Driver School Candidate

I would say, test drive both. TVD and LSD, if you can. Don't let subjective opinions make you rule out one or the other. I have owned a TVD RCF and that whole "natural" thing never made any sense in the 7+ years I have owned it for. It tends to imply that TVD has something artifical about it when it is a proactive system that in real-time is making the car do exactly what you want it to. The carbon fiber roof also adds more rigidity and lowers center of gravity by taking weight off the furthest point from the contact patch. That is my experience. It just makes the car more tossable and eager in transitions. It makes the car feel like a shorter wheelbase, smaller and lighter car. The steering feels faster with a quick nose response (depending on the mode selected) and it wants to kick the tail out powering it in SLALOM mode on-throttle. In TRACK mode, it is more focused on stability and balance. Nothing wrong with a car having a very sharp throttle in turns (with the motors in the back) and a fast steering with a very lively/tail happy behavior. TVD locking is just 1/1000th of a second making it nearly instantaneous. If you do test drive both, use the TRACK and SLALOM mode in the CF RCF.

Yes, I believe the 2UR has lighter internals and wants to rev more easily especially in SPORT+/MANUAL mode. It does not have much torque below 4000 rpm, but it does seem to rev very easily and is zingy. Also, the powerband is very linear all the way to redline.

It will give you a good idea of how the car is like to drive and live with.

Yes, that would be a correct statement. The Mach 1 especially with the performance package is more of a TE/FSW competitor. The TE/FSW comes with the same PS4S tires I have so it does not have slicks on them. The other variants of RCF might possibly be closer to the non-performance package Mach 1 without those super sticky tires and the other upgrades.

Here is a good POV video of spirited driving on windy roads

YOU drive the LEXUS RCF in POV!! INSANE ACCELERATIONS & DOWNSHIFTS!! ROARING V8!! - YouTube

Excellent! Same page, and that’s good feedback on the tvd. When I try the Fuji car it will have it so I’ll get to experience it and see if I like it! Thanks for all the info!
05RollaXRS (11-22-23)

Quick Reply: Is there a place I can rent a non speedway edition RCF in SoCal?