RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New non-Lexus Provided TPMS Programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 08:37 AM
Puckman77
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New non-Lexus Provided TPMS Programming

Just installed a new 20" wheel/tire package complete with TPMS sensors. The vendor of this package set the frequency of the new sensors to match what is specified for a 2022 RC F.
I have tried the procedure in the Owner's Manual but have had zero success. In fact, the indications I get exactly match what I should expect if the new sensors ID codes haven't been uploaded to the car's TPMS computer (ECU I assume).
Has anyone who has upgrade to new wheels and using non-Lexus provided sensors experienced the same thing, and if so, what was the solution?
Old 12-04-23, 07:10 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm on the same boat. Recently swapped wheels and long story short, the factory TPMS connection points were damaged by the adapters. The non-Lexus/Toyota TPMS are on but it's not pairing even though the tech did everything he was supposed to. He told me that I may need to drive it around for a couple of days and see. Still no luck. What he proposed to do is "clone" the OEM ones with the non-Lexus ones and see if that would work (yes, they still have my OEM ones). I just need to schedule a time to meet with them.

Have you tried that, "cloning" the OEM with the non?

Keep you posted!
Old 12-05-23, 05:31 AM
Puckman77
Driver School Candidate

No, I have not tried cloning the OEM sensors, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only guaranteed solution is to purchase Lexus/Toyota sensors and have them installed in place of the generic ones provided by the vendor. If that will be the case, I am very surprised that aftermarket retailers don't just buy the correct sensors from the OEM and simply adjust the cost of the package as necessary.
Old 12-05-23, 07:58 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

Normally you would need to program the new sensor ID numbers into the car for them to be recognized. I'm not even sure what the procedure in the owners manual "resets" but it definitely doesn't learn or program new ID numbers.

I've had good luck ordering Denso 5500105 TPMS sensors and using Carista (or Techstream) to pair the sensor IDs myself. Denso is the OE manufacturer. I keep a little printed spreadsheet in my glove box because I rotate between factory and track wheels. Some online vendors like Rockauto lists that Denso part number as 2017-2018 RCF, but the OEM interchange part number (4260730060) matches 2015-2022 models and the sensors work just fine in my 2015.

Technically "cloned" sensors really just allow a tech to specify the sensor ID numbers to match the old sensors, which alleviates having to actually reprogramming the car. However I had heard those are pretty flakey in general, not just with Toyota/Lexus applications, so I avoid those. Plus I didn't want to buy yet another tool in order to program them. They're useful for tire shops though since they just need to keep one part number in stock and program as needed.... if only they actually worked all the time.

Side note: If someone finds the post in the future, Lexus didn't update the TPMS sensor used in the RCF until 2023 and that OEM part number is: 426070E100
The following users liked this post:
yok3dIS (12-06-23)
Old 12-05-23, 08:06 AM
Puckman77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Normally you would need to program the new sensor ID numbers into the car for them to be recognized. I'm not even sure what the procedure in the owners manual "resets" but it definitely doesn't learn or program new ID numbers.

I've had good luck ordering Denso 5500105 TPMS sensors and using Carista (or Techstream) to pair the sensor IDs myself. Denso is the OE manufacturer. I keep a little printed spreadsheet in my glove box because I rotate between factory and track wheels. Some online vendors like Rockauto lists that Denso part number as 2017-2018 RCF, but the OEM interchange part number (4260730060) matches 2015-2022 models and the sensors work just fine in my 2015.

Technically "cloned" sensors really just allow a tech to specify the sensor ID numbers to match the old sensors, which alleviates having to actually reprogramming the car. However I had heard those are pretty flakey in general, not just with Toyota/Lexus applications, so I avoid those. Plus I didn't want to buy yet another tool in order to program them. They're useful for tire shops though since they just need to keep one part number in stock and program as needed.... if only they actually worked all the time.

Side note: If someone finds the post in the future, Lexus didn't update the TPMS sensor used in the RCF until 2023 and that OEM part number is: 426070E100
Thank you for the info! My local shop asked me for the model/serial number of my new tpms sensors. I am trying to get that information, but I assume, based on what you said, that my shop wants to clone my stock sensors. I am guessing that the ID numbers for the stock sensors are retreivable from the car's ECU, and then they will clone?
Old 12-05-23, 03:03 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

If the shop did not try to program the new sensor ids to the car then the oem ids are still there. If they did replace old ids with new ones, you'll need to bring them your factory wheels. Shops have a scanner that can pull the ids off your old wheels.

Sensor ids are printed directly on the sensor body, so only way to get ID numbers is to pop the tire off or use a scan tool.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23, 11:44 AM
Puckman77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoSt180
If the shop did not try to program the new sensor ids to the car then the oem ids are still there. If they did replace old ids with new ones, you'll need to bring them your factory wheels. Shops have a scanner that can pull the ids off your old wheels.

Sensor ids are printed directly on the sensor body, so only way to get ID numbers is to pop the tire off or use a scan tool.
Thanks again! Turns out I have HUF UVS7051 sensors, and I have the four IDs for them. NOW I am having trouble finding a shop that has the right scanner/tool to deal with that brand!