2015 RCF infotaintment (head unit) boot loop/power cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 05:12 PM
shahroze
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 RCF infotaintment (head unit) boot loop/power cutting out

I've started running into a problem with my infotainment where it'll either:

1) flicker a black screen with a low volume popping sound from the speakers everytime it flickers (it doesn't boot up when it does this)
2) boot up and constantly turn off and on until either it stays on and everything works fine OR boot loop until it stays off - I've noticed that the USB port goes from charging my phone to not charging as it turns off and on as the head unit is powers the USB port. Yes, I've unplugged my phone to see if that was the culprit and it is not
3) it boots up normally first try and everything works normally

What's interesting is that if I get issue # 1 and drive like that for a couple minutes, turn the car off and back on, I'll get scenario #2 or #3.

I've heard BMW's had this common problem back in the day and it was due to the hard drive being corrupted/malfunctioning.

Questions:

1. Has anyone had this issue before and fixed it? Lexus is quoting me $10,200 CAD for a new head unit which is definitely not an option for me lol
2. Does anyone know what type of hard drive is in the head unit? I want to disassemble, purchase another similar hard drive, copy contents over and then re-install. I know is should have an ATA password on the drive - is there a way around this?
3. The part number is86804-24240. Can I use another headunit from a 2015 RCF with a different part number as long as it has Mark levinson? It looks like this part number is Canada specific

Notes:

1. I've tried updating the software on the infotainment which didn't work
2. I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and that fix didn't work either
3. Apparently there's a guy in MN (US) that can fix it for $795USD + I pay for shipping but I'm weary of sending it out in the case it doesn't work or I run into any other issue. I'm based in Toronto, Canada so it complicates things

It's just a really odd issue as it'll work fine once it's booted up. PLEASE help me save $10K

Last edited by shahroze; 12-10-23 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-10-23, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Did you look at aftermarket options like this one?

Old 12-11-23, 07:11 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

I think aftermarket options still require the factory radio to still be functional to output sound. All of them typically put the factory radio into "AUX" mode then run their own displays in parallel.

There's been issues of the radios just crapping out, so your options at this point are to replace or repair it. The firmware update didn't help, so there's some kind of hardware issue. A used 2015-2017 ML unit will work from any RC (F/200/300/350/etc) since they're all the same.
Old 12-11-23, 07:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Contact United Radio. They do repairs on Lexus units regularly. Many members have used them. They are good about speaking with you to determine possible issue before you send it to them. A few members have done hard drive work them selves, but they're geek level.
Old 12-11-23, 11:42 AM
shahroze
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@05RollaXRS Unfortunately, when the head unit starts exhibiting issues, adding a carplay screen doesn't do anything to solve it. The screen runs off of the head unit like @LoSt180 mentioned.

@swfla I figured - I know it's possible and I think I could manage but it could result in me bricking the unit so I've decided against it and will go with a professional.

I'm going to be driving over to a guy in New York from Toronto to get this fixed - he's worked on a ton of these units and has repaired them. Will be less than $1000USD all in!
The following users liked this post:
swfla (12-11-23)
Old 12-13-23, 12:55 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I doubt there is an actual hard drive. Probably more likely a flash type storage.

There is an SD card in behind the shiny black door at the bottom of the radio. I believe it only has the maps on it but I do know the system doesn't start up unless the SD card is present. I wonder if your SD card is starting to go bad?