RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Tahara factory tour + RC F drive in Kyoto Japan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 08:45 AM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tahara factory tour + RC F drive in Kyoto Japan

As you all know our cars are built in Tahara, Aichi, and the CF used in our cars is made in the same building where the CF was manufactured for the LFA. Below are 2 videos from a car journalist born in Japan but is now based in the States. He personally owns an LC500. Lexus also loaned him an RC F to drive around with the performance package (which along with the standard CF goodies we get in the States, they also add a factory CF hood in Japan as standard with the performance package).

Questions for you guys who may know:

1) I didn’t see any RC Fs in the factory video posted and the reviewer didn’t point this out. Does the RC F have a dedicated building in Tahara where it’s built? Or is the RC F made in the same production line along with the other cars?

2) How much of the RC F is hand built? Or is it fully automated along with the rest of Toyota/Lexus cars?
Old 05-27-24, 09:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

My RCF says Tahara, Japan. I think my IS350 F-Sport also says Tahara. However, the build quality is higher on the RCF for some reason. Carbon fiber parts including roof and spoiler comes from the Motomachi plant, I believe.

RCF engine has a lot of hand-built components, but the rest of the car build s automated I believe despite having some bespoke parts like the seats, forged wheels, now defunct TVD, suspension and chassis components not shared with any other model.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-27-24 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-28-24, 11:48 AM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
My RCF says Tahara, Japan. I think my IS350 F-Sport also says Tahara. However, the build quality is higher on the RCF for some reason. Carbon fiber parts including roof and spoiler comes from the Motomachi plant, I believe.

RCF engine has a lot of hand-built components, but the rest of the car build s automated I believe despite having some bespoke parts like the seats, forged wheels, now defunct TVD, suspension and chassis components not shared with any other model.
Yes, Motomachi is correct.

Inside Lexus LFA Works

At around the 4 minute mark the reviewer says Lexus uses a “mixed model manufacturing” on the same production line. It sounds like the same Lexus production line workers could assemble an NX, LS, RC F, IS, RC 350 etc. as they come rolling down the production line and as the parts are being delivered. This is quite fascinating that these Lexus takumis could do this. I understand they have instructions and robots helping them but to go from assembling an NX to an RC F is amazing. Would be great if someone could confirm this is the case at Tahara, especially the RC F TE, which is not your run of the mill Lexus car spec and extremely limited production run. Or does Lexus set aside an “RC F only” production run with takumis trained for the RC F assembly.